Too much Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an oil change done for my Cummins 5.9. Everywhere online quotes 12 quarts for this engine.

I purchased three x 4 gallon jugs and gave them to the mechanics to use. They put 1 in the filter but another 13 in the engine. They went by the line on the dipstick, which they showed me.

So ....
1 - Why does 14 quarts fit and show ok on the dipstick, albeit at the full mark.
2 - What should I do, remove the extra quarts? Or leave it? What would be the issues if any?

Are you sure? 2 quarts seems like a [censored] of a lot more than recommended. I was going to take it back and ask them to remove 2.

We change a lot of oil and it's not uncommon for the dipstick and the qty specified to not be the same.
I'd go with the dipstick as you can now, accurately, monitor oil level.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
We change a lot of oil and it's not uncommon for the dipstick and the qty specified to not be the same.
I'd go with the dipstick as you can now, accurately, monitor oil level.

But the dipstick should show full at 12. They did actually put in 14.

Originally Posted by AntsinmyEyes
Did you check it after its sat overnight?

I had not. I just did.

It was good in the shop, it's way over on the dipstick now. I guess I should go back and get 2 quarts removed?

[Linked Image]

I hate dipsticks that show two ranges. What does the manual refer to as "safe?" The area labelled as such or the two dots?

I think if I pulled that dipstick out without any other info I would think it was overfilled.

Originally Posted by ThisBigRoadTrip
Originally Posted by AntsinmyEyes
Did you check it after its sat overnight?

I had not. I just did.

It was good in the shop, it's way over on the dipstick now. I guess I should go back and get 2 quarts removed?

I would take it back and have them do the whole job over. Not sure id trust them to drain the correct amount out

It is already black!!!!

Have them suck out the 2 quarts from the dipstick hole.

Save them, you may need them later.

Rod

You could save the effort of having to go back if you have an extractor. Otherwise take it back..If you're lucky they'll do it all over again but they might balk at that request and suggest just dumping out a couple of qts via the drain.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
It is already black!!!!

Yes, it's a diesel.
They all do that, even right after a change.

Drain it yourself? Messy to try and stop at 2, but a clean drain pan would do it.

And OP your first post was very confusing...you said 3x4 Gallon containers...figure you meant 3x 4 quart containers....how did they get 14 quarts from the 12 quarts of oil you gave them?

Remove the oil filter and drain it. I am sure at least a qt will come out.a qt over will be fine.

This is where a Fumoto drain valve does wonders if you don't have a Vacuum Extractor. I would be taking the 2 quarts out myself and save them for later.

Dumb question: if it's running fine, does it matter? Or is it thought that, under load, the oil will heat up and expand and then cause problems?

I'm thinking, if the OP already drove home, and it wasn't aerating the oil (from crank throws hitting a too high oil level), then all's fine. Motor on. Not uncommon for many engines to accept a large amount over without problem, dipsticks not being precision instruments and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back