Today we are learning how to change spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Now cut her loose on a V6 that requires half a day of disassembly to get to some of the plugs!

Good job Chris!
thumbsup2.gif
Your time investment is priceless.

Nay...an LT1 F-body!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by blupupher
Good job there.

Problem is today's vehicles just don't require as frequent changes.
It has been 5 years since I have changed plugs, and I did those when my daughter was at school.

my next planned plug change is not for at least 2 more years.

Good to teach them if they want to learn.

But wouldn't biochemistry be better?
smile.gif

I cant teach my wife anymore to be self sufficient. I wanted to do a training session on tire removal spare tire mounting with her Subaru/ But she wouldnt bother.

Then I'll get the call someday she's in the hinterlands with a flat and cant figure it out. And Of I go on some 100 mile resque /repair trek

smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

On plugs. Given hours of operation. Never changed plugs on my Snow thrower in 27 years.
Pulled it once at 15 years - it looked sharp and good. Back in it went.
Not good to disturb the sleeping giants - which is secondary ignition.

Changed the plugs a couple years ago on my 29 y.o. B&S mover. it didnt like the new "easy start" part number ( IMO, the extended tip advanced ig timing too much) So the old one went back in.

Plugs last longer with low oil usage engines and unleaded fuel.
Now off-tuned engine and oil users will need more frequent changes due to earth metals plating out on the insulators and inner shell.

Now moronic Subaru requires a change on the plugs on my wife's 2017 car at 60K miles

BUT It has special fingenail -tip Ruthenium/Iriduim plug which are super long life.

BaH ! Humbug !

I'm leaving them in for another 30K. Car runs great, no misfire.
IMO its a money grab for SOA dealers that's all.

there is an excuse to void my free engine lifetime warranty!

Lol, my Mazda calls for plugs every 40K miles. It's all just part of a turbo vehicle pushing almost 20psi of boost my man.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Wish my daughter took an interest in this stuff, oh well. My son does...1 out of 2 ain't bad.🤔

Good job..🤘ðŸ‘

This is my kids. We have a 9 year old daughter who couldn't care less about engines, racing, or anything motorsports. However, our 2 year old loves going to the track. She gets all excited and jumps like crazy when the cars drive by. I'm already pricing out a junior dragster for when she turns 8.

Like I said, 1 out of 2 right? ...

Originally Posted by Ws6

Lol, my Mazda calls for plugs every 40K miles. It's all just part of a turbo vehicle pushing almost 20psi of boost my man.

But this is a lowly 140hp 2 liter no-turbo.

Maybe they think the coil boots will get toasted on if you go over 5 years ?

IDK.

My wife and her friend married to a Dr pulling 500k/year both know how to change spark plugs, oil and air filters due to great fathers. Glad you spend the time.

My wife now only uses full serve and delegated all car things including checking oil to me but is beyond capable even at home repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back