To rustproof or not to rustproof...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this topic has been covered before in these forums (a lot) but I'm thinking about rustproofing my 14 year old car. I'd be rustproofing my 1996 Honda Accord that I bought a while back from my cousin. The car has (now) only 64,000 miles. I've gone completely through the car...new timing belt and water pump (due to age), replaced the other belts, flushed the anti-freeze and replaced the radiator hoses, 4 drain and fills with Redline trans fluid, flushed and refilled the power steering, new iridium plugs, wires, cap and rotor, new rotors and brake pads. The car runs beautifully (and is getting 30-32 mpg on the highway with the V6 vs. the 27 mpg it's rated to get). I'm using it as a DD and will be driving it this winter in the "great white north" of Michigan (great white north applies as much to the salt used on the roads as the snow we get...hence my concern). I've gone over the car with a fine tooth comb and there is absolutely NO rust anywhere on this car except for a little surface rust on a few undercarriage bolts and exhaust straps. The car has been exposed to salt over it's life and was washed regularly (not waxed for over 5 years though...will be taking care of that too). I'm only about 3 1/2 hours from a Krown rustproofing location in Canada and am thinking about taking it there for a treatment. I'm concerned about rust on the area behind the rear wheel wells for which these Hondas are notorious (I removed the rubber strips from the rear wheel wells as advised...the paint is good underneath and no rust under them). My other choice is to forget the rustproofing, keep it as clean as possible and hope for the best...what do you think?

Rustproof
20.gif

If you plan on keeping the car and taking care of it, which it sounds like you are, I say rustproof the heck out of it. Is there not a rustproofing place in MI?

That car will last you a L-O-N-G time, providing you don't let rust get at it.
Go to Krown or someone else, or do it yourself, but it really sounds like it deserves protection.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I'm only about 3 1/2 hours from a Krown rustproofing location in Canada

If you are in SE MI, are you that for from Windsor or the several Krown locations between there and Sarnia?

Because this car is older and probablly dry like crazy it might absorb a lot of the krown spray during the first application on the undercarriage.

I would buy 5-6 cans of T-40 (you can buy it from Krown while you are there) and touch up the dry areas in between applications as needed.

Emergency Brake Cables, Brake & Fuel lines, Power Steering Lines and the top of the gas tank and the floor panels made out of thin metal are key areas to make sure are covered in this stuff.

I've had cars Ziebarted.
They use a different product/formula on older cars.
Still, if it's affordable, do it.
Rust proofing won't stop all salt damage but it will help some.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
I've had cars Ziebarted.
They use a different product/formula on older cars.
Still, if it's affordable, do it.

How about the body?

Originally Posted By: dwendt44

With Krown they guarantee no rust on your vehicle for the life of the vehicle if sprayed each year by them starting within the first 2 years of the manufacture date

None of my cars have had any rust using their product including my 20 year old Dodge Caravan which is on BITOG. It's superb.
thumbsup2.gif

van1.jpg

If you can keep a 20 year old Caravan from rusting then that's a very good product. You and your Caravan should be a "paid" spokesman for Krown.

I know... I wish I still had that Caravan, best vehicle and the first vehicle I owned. Stupid electrical short that caused a fire had to go and ruin it all.
frown.gif

Underneath was solid with all original brake/fuel lines and original everything that rust would eat through the years if it hadn't of been Krown-ed.

I wouldn't "spokesperson" for it if it wasn't such a great product.

It's also non-solvent, environmentally friendly, won't cause damage to your Ashphalt or concrete drive-ways (Will stain pourice stone) and the guys applying it generally don't wear any masks or respiratory gear because the product isn't toxic.

Yet it protects as well as it does. It also has great advantages for things like window regulators and door locks that don't freeze up or stop working because of corrosion.

Amazing stuff! - Krown.com to check it out for yourself.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I don't have a dog in this fight since the only place I can find rust around here is in the dictionary, but how much do they charge?

I'd stay far,far away from Zeibart. Krown or Rust Check is the way to go, both Canadian Companies.

South Bend, Indiana does have a Rust Check dealer if anyonw is interested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I don't have a dog in this fight since the only place I can find rust around here is in the dictionary, but how much do they charge?

Why do you need rustproof ? Where on the car that you want to prevent it from rusting ? I never seen any car around here has any rust anywhere.

HTSS...I see you're in SoCal...and assume you're kidding. They use enough road salt here in the winter (think lots of snow and slippery roads) to preserve the local population forever. I'm actually closer to Sault Ste. Marie than Windsor...3 1/2 hours vs. about an 8 hour drive (lived in SE Michigan for 27 years until I moved "up north" a couple of years ago...although I still have my house there...can't sell it unless I almost give it away...luckily, it's rented to friends who take good care of the place and meet the expenses). I'm going to go ahead and have the Krown rustproofing done...Thanks to all for the input.

Approx $130 for a middle sized SUV and less or more if the car is smaller/bigger in size.

They do the underneath and inside the doors and all the panels of the vehicle.

Steve

My vote is keep it clean. Make sure there is no dirt build-up in any of the nooks or crannies underneath. Pay particular attention to drain holes. Do a close inspection for drain holes and keep them clean. My wife's 12 year old Windstar has some rust popping through one of the rocker panels. I suspect a clogged drain hole. My mistake can be your lesson...

I did my Jeep with Amsoil HD metal protectant. No more rust proofing places where I live. When I rotate the tires I shoot the wheel wells and inside the doors again. Once a year I touch up the engine compartment and underside of it. So far so good.

I'm planning to hit the underbody of my Jeep with the 2 cans of 3M Professional Rubberized Undercoating I have in the garage. I tried it out on the hitch, seems good. Should offer some extra protection for when I head up to Rochester this fall. Somehow, I get the feeling that the salt up there would have no problem rusting the galvanized unibody...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back