To Havoline Or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
ProDS 5w30 in my Cadillac ATS with 3.6L V6. 700 miles so far and no difference. The 6 qt boxes are nice and the price is as well, probably will be my new go to.

Not going to beat a dead horse. I used 5w20 DS and I drained at 3k with 1/2 quart low. I used 5w30 DS in lawn equipment with consistent oil usage. Have never used oil in anything and after change oil usage is zero. Personal opinion is that it isn't for me.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Not going to beat a dead horse. I used 5w20 DS and I drained at 3k with 1/2 quart low. I used 5w30 DS in lawn equipment with consistent oil usage. Have never used oil in anything and after change oil usage is zero. Personal opinion is that it isn't for me.

Some folks have exhibited consumption and noise from Havoline Pro DS. Some complain about Mobil-1 doing similar.
I would say try it. If it works well, then what a bargain this six quart box is.

Thank you BITOG members for all of the positive replies. As I had stated in my OP, I was going to use the 5W30 PRO DS anyway. I was looking for others opinions if they were in my position.
I currently have about 6K miles/1 year on the Havoline HM oil in my engine. My trucks engine doesn't burn oil, nor leaks oil. The weather here in La. is about to get very cold. They are predicting low 20's next week so I need to get it changed soon.

I'll never use Havoline again. My engine was too noisy with Havoline oil and there was nothing wrong with my 58K mile engine when I put Havoline in it and no other oil I ran caused my engine to make that much noise. I like the idea of the bag in the box, and the price is reasonable, I commend them on that, but actually running their oil didn't turn out as planned for me.

To each his own but there are a handful of previous Havoline users here that were less than satisfied with it.
One thing I demand from the motor oil I use is to make my engine run quiet.
If it doesn't run quiet, I get the feeling it's not doing its job of lubricating my engine the way it's supposed to.
Perhaps it won't do that to your engine.

I can appreciate your perspective, but without using a calibrated,sound level meter and recorded sample conditions with an isopleth, it is not reliable data.
Since noise perception is a highly personal and subjective sense. Very much like flavor/taste And eyesight perception sensitivities and ranges of perception vary from person to person.

That being said, if running an oil irritates your senses, by all means run a different oil, for your happiness and well being.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
I'll never use Havoline again. My engine was too noisy with Havoline oil and there was nothing wrong with

my 58K mile engine when I put Havoline in it and no other oil I ran caused my engine to make that much noise. I like the idea of the bag in the box, and the price is reasonable, I commend them on that, but actually running their oil didn't turn out as planned for me.

To each his own but there are a handful of previous Havoline users here that were less than satisfied with it.
If it doesn't run quiet, I get the feeling it's not doing its job of lubricating my engine the way it's supposed to.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
I can appreciate your perspective, but without using a calibrated,sound level meter and recorded sample conditions with an isopleth, it is not reliable data.
Since noise perception is a highly personal and subjective sense. Very much like flavor/taste And eyesight perception sensitivities and ranges of perception vary from person to person.

That being said, if running an oil irritates your senses, by all means run a different oil, for your happiness and well being.

I'll never use Havoline again. My engine was too noisy with Havoline oil and there was nothing wrong with

my 58K mile engine when I put Havoline in it and no other oil I ran caused my engine to make that much noise. I like the idea of the bag in the box, and the price is reasonable, I commend them on that, but actually running their oil didn't turn out as planned for me.

My engine sounds different on different days and even on the same drive - with the same oil. I can't imagine trying to reasonably ascribe any variation in engine noise to the oil.

You all need to be aware that this poster is like a broken record on Havoline and I wouldn't put too much faith in what is posted.

I'll never use Havoline again. My engine was too noisy with Havoline oil and there was nothing wrong with my 58K mile engine when I put Havoline in it and no other oil I ran caused my engine to make that much noise. I like the idea of the bag in the box, and the price is reasonable, I commend them on that, but actually running their oil didn't turn out as planned for me.

Merc?

Originally Posted by dave1251

Merc?

I have no idea what you're trying to say.
If you could speak the English language like someone who once went to school, it would help out a lot.

Originally Posted by BLND1

My engine sounds different on different days and even on the same drive - with the same oil. I can't imagine trying to reasonably ascribe any variation in engine noise to the oil.

Perhaps it's your ears playing tricks on you due to changes in the weather and other factors.
The only change in my engine's noise has been due to the oil I ran.
Havoline caused my engine to make noticeably more noise than other oils.

I ran Havoline Pro DS in my hybrid 4 runner and due to the extra noise I struck three less pedestrians during the OCI. This was an incredible savings in insurance claims.

Thanks to Havoline's "safety sound" technology; pedestrians can hear a vehicle approaching, even while in hybrid mode!
That's Safety noise!

Last edited:
I ran Havoline Pro DS in my hybrid 4 runner and due to the extra noise I struck three less pedestrians during the OCI. This was an incredible savings in insurance claims.

Thanks to Havoline's "safety sound" technology; pedestrians can hear a vehicle approaching, even while in hybrid mode!
That's Safety noise!

Havoline saves lives!

Really... people... the "this oil is louder than others" trope is a placebo effect at best - willful disinformation at worse.

That's Safety noise!

LOL I've ran this oil and your spouting BS!

I have run it too and was satisfied with the results, just look at my testimonial!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

That's Safety noise!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Yes he is. Read the rest of the thread for context
wink.gif

There really is no help for you it made this clear. Using your hearing as the sole means of determining the effectiveness of lubrication is fallible. This displays a very high degree of ignorance. It is something I would expect from a know everything adolescent.

Havoline usually has a rebate as well, but they usually exclude walmart purchases.

I purchased a few jugs of 5w20 HM from amazon, and the rebate check came right away, I think two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back