To Flush or not to Flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is should I flush my radiator? I've been planning on doing it at the five year mark but don't know if I really need to. The details: Lady driven 50/50 city highway bought new 2003 taurus with 28,000. I looked in the overflow tank today and seen a couple flakes of something not sure what it was,the fluid looked low but was not dirty. Ford said no need to change till 100,000 miles but I can't see that! So I basically wanna make sure there is no problems with this ford "yellow" fluid type and possibly just drain the radiator,refill and be done! Thanks in advance!
34.gif

definetly flush now, make sure to read the owners manual and use the correct type of coolant. Just in case you have never done it before, its a really easy job. Also load up on distilled water you will have the best results from it instead of tap water.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
definetly flush now

Do you know of some kind of problem with the yellow fluid?

Originally Posted By: cornfused
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
definetly flush now

Do you know of some kind of problem with the yellow fluid?

Only if it is in the snow...don't eat it...j/k
LOL.gif

I use Prestone in everything except my GMC that gets dexcool, FWIW with all my cooling systems I extract 1-2 quarts of coolant each year and add new with a can of prestone anti rust. Never a problem since it stays fresh. I mix my own 50/50 with distilled water.

Last edited:
buy some RMI 25 ..great stuff to slow flush the rad...just put it in the overflow tank ..and it works it's magic...dumps the [censored] back into the tank for you ...amazing stuff

That Taurus probably takes G-05 antifreeze, but check the manual to be sure. It's available at Napa or the dealer. Personally, I'd stick to what Ford suggests. All makes/all models Prestone or Peak would probably be just fine, but Zerex G-05 really isn't that much more expensive at Napa.

G-05 is great. Stick with it.
Use distilled water if you mix.
And, I would NOT flush it, only change it. Just drain and refill. Flushing is for specific problems.
Clean the reservoir tank. Remove it if you have to and get it really nice and clean inside.

Even though your mileage is well below the 100K change interval, you have reached the 5 year "and/or" change interval.

If you choose to change only the radiator fluid, you will probably leave at least 1/2 of the total old fluid in the engine block. With this in mind, you should not wait another 5 years/100k to change out the radiator fluid again.

If the fluid is cloudy or otherwise looks "spent", consider replacing all the fluid. Follow the above advice about G 05. I don't use cleaners or chemical flushes anymore unless there is some kind of problem.

Maybe check some Ford forums. Aren't some models prone to heater core corrosion? If so, again consider replacing all the fluid.....cheap insurance.

Your case is a judgement call in my opinion, partly because you don't know the prior history....maybe someone topped it off with another type, etc..

Personally think draining/flushing any coolant that still looks fresh and unclouded is total foolishness. Also, any water suitable for my personal consumption is just fine for any orfice of a hunk of metal and plastic.

Bob

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Even though your mileage is well below the 100K change interval, you have reached the 5 year "and/or" change interval.

If you choose to change only the radiator fluid, you will probably leave at least 1/2 of the total old fluid in the engine block. With this in mind, you should not wait another 5 years/100k to change out the radiator fluid again.

If the fluid is cloudy or otherwise looks "spent", consider replacing all the fluid. Follow the above advice about G 05. I don't use cleaners or chemical flushes anymore unless there is some kind of problem.

Maybe check some Ford forums. Aren't some models prone to heater core corrosion? If so, again consider replacing all the fluid.....cheap insurance.

Your case is a judgement call in my opinion, partly because you don't know the prior history....maybe someone topped it off with another type, etc..

I bought the car new and have never added anything to the radiator. Is ford G 05 yellow basically prestone? I was gonna get some motorcraft from the dealer but with my work schedule I'll never make it there.

Originally Posted By: cornfused

I bought the car new and have never added anything to the radiator. Is ford G 05 yellow basically prestone? I was gonna get some motorcraft from the dealer but with my work schedule I'll never make it there.

No, Prestone is closer to Dex-Cool. It's not G-05.

No, Prestone is closer to Dex-Cool. It's not G-05.

Is there anything other than motorcraft?G 05

Last edited:
Please re-read earlier posts. Zerex G05 is suitable and should be available at NAPA, Car Quest, Murrays, and many other auto stores.

You won't find Zerex G05 at K Mart. Wal Mart, etc.. It ranges in price from about $12 to $15 dollars. Don't worry about the dye color....Zerex is a lighter shade of yellow/gold (vs. Ford), I "think".

Looks like this: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=10

Gotcha Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back