To change, or not to change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expecting warm weather which hasn't materialized, I pulled my S2000 out of storage. Reintroducing the S to the world, I planned to warm-up the engine with a short drive followed by an oil change. Although, after the drive I looked through my records and questioned the necessity of an oil change. My records showed I last changed the oil
So, what say BITOG, change it or leave it?

All I know is I should've driven the car more last year.

I'd change it out only because it's GC, which we all know is an excellent oil but not for the S2000 from my experience. My AP1 felt ridiculously sluggish the one time I used it in that motor. Running Redline 10w30 vs GC 0w30 was like night and day. The GC is just way too thick for that motor IMO. I couldn't wait to drain it out of there. Felt like I lost 20hp using it.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
omg, your oil is tested for 2 years/18k miles duty.

Really? By whom?

Originally Posted By: biodiesel
I'd change it out only because it's GC, which we all know is an excellent oil but not for the S2000 from my experience. My AP1 felt ridiculously sluggish the one time I used it in that motor. Running Redline 10w30 vs GC 0w30 was like night and day. The GC is just way too thick for that motor IMO. I couldn't wait to drain it out of there. Felt like I lost 20hp using it.

I usually change the oil right after I pull it from storage, so I don't get any back-to-back comparisons; even if they are not truly valid since it is a used versus new test. With GC the S (stock except for a T1R-70EM exhaust) made 204 whp on a Dyno Dynamics.

Edit: the next oil will be Castrol Edge 5W-30, which is at the other end of the 30 weight spectrum.

Last edited:
oh man, i'd love to have a s2k one day.....

i'd change it because i've driven a s2k and that engine is :O(amazing)

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
oh man, i'd love to have a s2k one day.....

i'd change it because i've driven a s2k and that engine is :O(amazing)

Since the early models are 10 years old, with few cosmetic changes over the production period, they have become quite inexpensive. Early examples can be had around $10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back