Tires Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest the Michelin Primacy MXV4, which is what I just bought for our VUE. They really stand out as #1 in the TireRack.com surveys and Consumer Reports rated them #1 in their category in their November 2009 review of tires. The current Michelin $70 mail-in rebate helps bring their price down to being competitive with other options. Unfortunately they don't appear to be available in your size.
frown.gif

Since I've always liked the Michelin tires I've had in the past, Hokiefyd's recommendation of the Michelin Latitude Tour would get a vote from me. They didn't surface in my research because they don't appear to be available in a 235/60R17. They have great survey results on TireRack.com and are rated #1 in their category. The only downside is that they look to be a little pricey. But the $70 rebate will help offset that a bit.

My second choice would have probably been the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring.

My short list also included the Kumho Solus KR21 (which you've ruled out), the Firestone FR710 (which doesn't appear to be available in your size), and the Dunlop Signature CS. The Dunlop was very competitively price and looked like a nice tire, but TireRack.com has zero review data for it.

Go straight to BFGoodrich and check out their Long Trail T/A Touring.

EXCELLENT on-road SUV tire, IMO every bit as good as Michelin (after all, BFG is owned by Michelin).

PS- the worst thing about the Long Trail T/A touring is that people might confuse it with the old Radial Long Trail, a completely different tire of much inferior rating that BFG developed for an OEM application.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Stevie, what Kuhmo tire do you have on now? KR-21?
I dunno and it's raining so I will check later.

I know you are not a Kumho fan at the moment... however I do suggest the NEW Kumho KL-21 tire- the new crossover/SUV tire.

I have a set on my Entourage and they have been great for the past ~10k miles. Quiet, smooth and excellent in rain. So far they are wearing very well. I highly recommend them- especially for highway travel.

Originally Posted By: milehighhyundai
I know you are not a Kumho fan at the moment... however I do suggest the NEW Kumho KL-21 tire- the new crossover/SUV tire.

I have a set on my Entourage and they have been great for the past ~10k miles. Quiet, smooth and excellent in rain. So far they are wearing very well. I highly recommend them- especially for highway travel.
I will check into those... The wear on these have been good, but the ride sucks... Maybe I shouldn't judge all their lines by this one.
wink.gif

Has it quit raining there yet?? I see you are up and posting already this morning.

It has but I have been busy with other stuff... Will do later today. I have woken up with bad neck/shoulder pain from a bad sleep and its slowing me down a bit.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: milehighhyundai

I will check into those... The wear on these have been good, but the ride sucks... Maybe I shouldn't judge all their lines by this one.
wink.gif

Has it quit raining there yet?? I see you are up and posting already this morning.

It has but I have been busy with other stuff... Will do later today. I have woken up with bad neck/shoulder pain from a bad sleep and its slowing me down a bit.

You're going to make me drive to Burlington and check those tires in person, aren't you ??...
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Actually, something is weird about this. Why are so many tires 101 load index rated and not 102+?

It's simply a P-metric vs. E-metric thing.

The OEM tires were 225/70R16. The replacement tires you see with a load index of 101 are technically P225/70R16. Note the leading "P". In my opinion, the difference doesn't make a hill of beans. I'd overlook it.

The Michelin Latitude Tour is available in OP's size. (Like the OP, I often prefer Michelin tires.) They'll be among the best-riding/smoothest tires out there in this size. Also look at the Michelin LTX M/S2. That's another FANTASTIC tire. It has a UTQG rating of 720 A A. That's 720 for treadwear (almost unheard of for a "light truck" tire). It'a also rated A for both traction and temperature. It's hard to find a fault in that tire.

Yup, that would explain it. However, the tire selector software does not show that, which may present a problem because many shops may not be aware of the difference and will not sell the tires with the lower load index.

I just ordered Michelin Latitude Tours for the wife's Fronty in P265/70R16. Won't put them on until Nov., but didn't want to take a chance on Michelin continuing their $70 rebate. Chose them over the M/S2's based on fuel effiency and comfort(based on Michelin's site).

Should be better than the OE BFG's in every respect.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Won't put them on until Nov., but didn't want to take a chance on Michelin continuing their $70 rebate.

That's exactly what I did. Bought the set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 for my wife's VUE but won't install them until November or December, before the snow starts to fly here in Michigan. The timing should work out such that I can do it when I change the oil at 36K. That way the tire rotation and oil change interval/schedule will be in sync.

Ok so it finally stopped raining here...
48.gif

It's my mom's Kia that must have the Kumho's I have Hankook's on mine and the model number is RA-07

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/vehicle/2001/Hyundai/Santa+Fe+LX/Standard/ltx-m-s2/P225%7C70R16+101T/tire-details

Get the LTX M/S2's.

You'll thank me later
wink.gif

I'm a huge Michelin fan and I was just about sold on these tires you mentioned.

I think these are what I will end up with. Just need to find a good price.
20.gif
Might go state side and drive them back!
45.gif

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back