Tires from Walmart

Are the tires i get from a good tire shop, the same i will get at Walmart? Do they come from the same place? And have the same quality? I know there are tires that are “only available at Walmart” and no where else.

I know I was very disappointed in multiple purchases of Goodyear tires from Walmart but I don’t remember if they were exclusive to Walmart or not. A kind of Wrangler I put on my Jeep and I believe Viva all seasons for my sons car.

It depends, as you say, there are Walmart exclusive tires but there are also mainstream ones that make financial sense to order through WM just like you would Amazon.

WM seems to get "captive store name" tires which are then-current designs supplanted by something newer. So they're, in effect, a previous generation. You could, at one time, get "Goodyear Wranglers" in 235-75-15 while tire stores sold "Wrangler (suffix)."

Walmart has been my go-to for the last several sets of tires, and I've been quite happy. Got to watch them for sales. Incidentally, I was just browsing, and Goodyear Reliants have a cheaper price coming Nov 8, kind of an odd marketing strategy.

I know I was very disappointed in multiple purchases of Goodyear tires from Walmart but I don’t remember if they were exclusive to Walmart or not. A kind of Wrangler I put on my Jeep and I believe Viva all seasons for my sons car.
VIVA3’s and whatever the predecessors were can be rather meh but certainly no worse than other meh tires from kumho, Kelly , Goodrich or Uniroyal

Just more noise, less economy and shorter treadlife.

... Incidentally, I was just browsing, and Goodyear Reliants have a cheaper price coming Nov 8, kind of an odd marketing strategy.
I have noted that those Reliants are either V or H speed rated so might be a decent tire. The sidewalls are softer than most other tires that I've checked. I wonder if they are using silica in the tread compound - they don't mention anything but they do mention that their other Walmart exclusive, the higher priced Goodyear Assurance Outlast does use silica ?

The Assurance Outlast is $20 to 30 more expensive than the Reliants probably due to the higher tread life rating. Nevertheless the one I was looking at didn't appear to have a cap ply construction so I would rather select the Reliant at this point.

I have had several sets of tires bought/installed at W/M and been very pleased overall.
All were brand name tires selected from the website, free shipping to my local store, installed.

The ones sold at Walmart stores are predominantly exclusive tires made for Walmart. Do your research, many are just "meh", others can be a great value.

If you buy on Walmart's marketplace / wanna-be Amazon, you can get the same tires you'd find anywhere else, often saving a lot of money in the process.

It depends, as you say, there are Walmart exclusive tires but there are also mainstream ones that make financial sense to order through WM just like you would Amazon.

WM seems to get "captive store name" tires which are then-current designs supplanted by something newer. So they're, in effect, a previous generation. You could, at one time, get "Goodyear Wranglers" in 235-75-15 while tire stores sold "Wrangler (suffix)."

Walmart has been my go-to for the last several sets of tires, and I've been quite happy. Got to watch them for sales. Incidentally, I was just browsing, and Goodyear Reliants have a cheaper price coming Nov 8, kind of an odd marketing strategy.

The Nov 8th pricing is black Friday " deals for days". I'm buying a set for my corolla 52 bucks a piece.

The tires can be same or their own versions . The downside is they have limited capabilities in terms of only being able to mount and balance however cannot address anything mechanically wrong with vehicle including alignments when installing. Basically can bolt on/off tires and mount to wheels. I don’t even think they can replace or do much with TMPS sensors.

The tires can be same or their own versions . The downside is they have limited capabilities in terms of only being able to mount and balance however cannot address anything mechanically wrong with vehicle including alignments when installing. Basically can bolt on/off tires and mount to wheels. I don’t even think they can replace or do much with TMPS sensors.
Kind of like Discount Tire.............?

Bought many. Here are a few thoughts.
From 20+ vehicles and all the cheapest tires at Wal-Mart, here are a few personal favorites:
- Westlake RP18 All Season. Probably the best Chinese tires from Wal-Mart. These Westlakes are on par with much more expensive brand name tires.
- Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring All Season, these are usually pricier, because they're owned by Michelin. So anytime Michelin comes up with a new design, they retire the "old" design to be made by Uniroyal. Enjoy your Michelin tires at a discount, basically.
- Ironman and Lexani are ok. Milestar comes behind them, because thin sidewalls and blowouts are more common.
- Anything else, like Armstrong/Forceum/Landspider/Atlas/etc is a gamble, with the consumer having the short end of the stick.

I have bought Nokian and Nitto tires from the Walmart web site, having them delivered to a New Hampshire store, where I go and pick them up. As there is no sales tax in New Hampshire, I avoid the sales tax I would have paid if they were delivered to my Vermont home. (Don't tell on me, please)

The tires are genuine Nokian and Nitto tires. I get them mounted elsewhere.

Some Walmart house brand tires are rebranded budget tires. I just got some dexteros, and the only difference between them and some gt radial tires is the price and they don't have a 3pmsf symbol while the name brand (gt radial) tires do, but that might be because gt radial wants their tires to seem better than Walmarts.

I purchased some inexpensive Douglas tires for an 06 Civic. The were awesome for the money. I believe they are the same tires as another major manufacturer or tire dealer sells. Walmart has high volume.
I put Douglas tires on my 1985 190D. They’re an odd size, and I found shrapnel in one of the Michelins on there prior, before a cross country trip. I was very pleased and continue to be!

I think the reason for that was they were Goodyear tires...Gave up on that brand many years ago along with Firestone....By the way you can get any tire you want.. They can order them for you or you can get them online and shipped to that store...Only takes a few days...Then they will install them for you...

Just want to add (didn't see it mentioned yet) that Walmart is an absolute stickler about not installing a different size tire than what the door sticker (glovebox, wherever) specifies. Doesn't matter if you already have a different size and replace with equal specs. They'll outright refuse.

Only exception I've encountered was on my 72 Pinto wagon about 10 years ago. They couldn't really do anything with the bias-ply tire sizes, so they agreed to install what I had purchased. I had done all the math, so the new tires were as close to exact as humanly possible, but they didn't know how to verify. Lol.

OT, but I really miss that little car. 2.0 auto, but really fairly peppy if you wound it up and shifted manually. Rebuilt the head with a performance valve seat job and new valves and springs, used a fairly hot cam ordered direct from the UK, a brand new Weber carb. Would keep up with traffic on the interstate to about 75 mph (where the 3 apd auto pretty much topped out). Daily drove it 40+ miles each way. Anyway... lol

There may be a company-wide policy at Walmart that waives the "must match sticker" rule for anything old enough to have originally come equipped with bias plies, idk.

Back