Tires for VW Touareg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a brand new (less than 2K miles) VW Touareg 2.4L V8 that came with German made Continental 275/45 R19 Y, summer performance tires. What are summer performance tires? I live in eastern NC and we don't typically receive much snow. When replacement time comes would an all-weather tire be a better option? From just checking around I've discovered that 19" tire selections are not very plentiful. Thanks in advance for advice. I'm new at this.

Summer performance tires are like the name implies - Handling oriented, and not designed for snow.

If you never see snowy weather, these tires will be just fine. However, if you get the occassional snow and ice storm, then either leave the vehicle at home, or get yourself some all season performance tires.

BTW, performance doesn't mean that when it rains you don't have to adjust your driving style. Any tire hydroplanes when the speed is high enough and the water is deep enough.

Hope this helps.

quote:

VW Touareg 2.4L V8

Did the japanese start making small V8's for VW?
wink.gif

------------------
Answering your questions depends on what you want for good/bad weather.

As CapriRacer mentioned earlier, summer tires are single season, where they are expected to see only dry pavement and occasional wet weather.

All-season tires are meant for decent traction in most weather condtions. It's a jack of all trades, but a master of none. You will not get great traction, handling, steering response, etc...

You might have to purchase smaller wheels and set them aside for bad weather.

Wow you are right, I checked tirerack and there are only 3 tires that size and they are all summer tires. You may have to shift sizes a little to get an all season tire....

Well, that's a bummer. You buy an SUV and you can't even use it when it snows because there are no winter or at least all-season tires for it.
lol.gif

Seriously though, in NC you can probably get away with just summer tires, unless you plan on driving somewhere up north during winter. I used to live in noVA and actually did have a second set of dedicated winter rims/tires, but they didn't get too much use. If it does snow that one or two days a year, just leave the Touareg at home.

If you really want something other than summer tires, it looks like you'll have to do a minus 1 conversion which means getting new 18" rims and putting 255/55/18 tires on it. There are some winter as well as all-season tires available in that size. Or you can get 255/50/19 tires (minus zero downgrade) - there are a couple of all-seasons available in that size. (Assuming the load rating is sufficient).

well he's got the 19's now, but could pick up a set of used 18" wheels and they DO make snow tires for it.

tire rack sells compatible 18" steel wheels i think, i might be really wrong though.

what pete said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back