Tires for the Mustang

These will be for the Mustang in my signature.
The tires that are presently on it have less than 20K on them. The problem is that they are 14 years old( the originals.)
Started out by consulting with the dealer where I bought the car new. The SA presented me with several options.
Since the tires on this car will probably rot off again before I could wear them out, I am looking at mid range tires.

I have narrowed down to two options:
1. Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus (basically what it has on it now)
2. BF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 A/S plus

Another reason for these two is that I can buy at the local Chrysler dealer (they are running "Buy 3 get 4th for $1, knocking $100 off if you apply for their CC, plus 6 mos SAC.) This effectively makes the 4th tire 1/2 price when you crunch the numbers (at least on the Pirellis.) Prices are comparable to others I have seen, plus the extra hundred off, presents as the best deal going right now.

Suggestions/opinions on which one?

What kind of driving? During what kind of roads & weather?
High performance, SCCA, summertime only?
All-season from summer to snow in winter?

The Comp-2 is directional, while the PZeros aren't. So my choice would be Pirelli out of those two options

Also, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 is worth a look, too, if you want a UHP all-season. If it's too expensive, there's the General G-Max AS-05

Your tire size is 235/55-17, correct? :unsure:

If snow is important to consider, you might like a 3-peak all-season such as
Cooper Enduramax
General Altimax 365AW
Vredestein Quatrac Pro
Michelin CrossClimate2

If I were not running my tires in snow, at all, under any weird circumstances... Sat someone needs a car for a week while theirs is being repaired, etc.. I would get the Firehawk Indy 500's.
I had the similar choice to make for my 2010 Crown Vic. I wanted high performance all season in case my daily driver broke down and I needed to use the Vic in the winter.. I settled on Michelin Pilot Sports and I regret not getting the Firehawk's. I push the car really hard when driving, very aggressive in the corners that surround my area. The Pilot Sports just don't get all the grip they should, they get soft in the corners real easy, like their sidewall is not strong / stiff enough. The only other tire available in the size was the Firehawks. Wish I got them, screw the winter.

What kind of driving? During what kind of roads & weather?
High performance, SCCA, summertime only?
All-season from summer to snow in winter?

It's a V6 Mustang. that is taken out for cruising on nice days.
It has never been out in the winter.

These will be for the Mustang in my signature.
The tires that are presently on it have less than 20K on them. The problem is that they are 14 years old( the originals.)
Started out by consulting with the dealer where I bought the car new. The SA presented me with several options.
Since the tires on this car will probably rot off again before I could wear them out, I am looking at mid range tires.

I have narrowed down to two options:
1. Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus (basically what it has on it now)
2. BF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 A/S plus

Another reason for these two is that I can buy at the local Chrysler dealer (they are running "Buy 3 get 4th for $1, knocking $100 off if you apply for their CC, plus 6 mos SAC.) This effectively makes the 4th tire 1/2 price when you crunch the numbers (at least on the Pirellis.) Prices are comparable to others I have seen, plus the extra hundred off, presents as the best deal going right now.

Suggestions/opinions on which one?
Go to tire rack and discount tire and read the tire reviews by Mustang owners and see opinions on these tires. Tire rack also tests tires comparatively. See if they tested these tires.

It's a V6 Mustang. that is taken out for cruising on nice days.
It has never been out in the winter.
I forgot to mention that the owner of the 2014 GT has put a new tires on the car:

EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS - SIZE: 235/55ZR17​

He became interested in grip together with treadwear rating. Even though he doesn't horse the car from a stop, the rear tires just wear so much from the torque of the motor. Seriously, its a 2014 and it has 14k miles on it. Three sets of tires..

I have a 2006 mustang GT that I bought new. I wasn't impressed with the Pirelli P Zero that came on the car and ended up putting a set of GT500 rims and tires on mine.

I would look at the BF Goodrich or General tire options for replacement 17" tires.

Really liking these. Had a set on my V6, now I have a set on my Ecoboost.
Screenshot_20220421-180729-666.png

I had a Eco boost mustang convertible as a rental last fall. I was so blown away by the performance of the suspension and motor!! The suspension was amazing, cornered very well like it rode on rails, very high G value I achieved. The motor was very powerful and it accelerated fast enough for me to label it fast. Drive settings were good, I was in love with the sport setting that let me swing the car a bit around turns.

best convertible I've ever driven, great all around car.

2 days ago I got 4 new Michelin Defender T+H on my 2007 Mustang from Discount Tire. While I get on the gas fairly hard sometimes, I just want a good economical tire that will last a long time. I never push the car hard into corners or brake very hard.

2 days ago I got 4 new Michelin Defender T+H on my 2007 Mustang from Discount Tire. While I get on the gas fairly hard sometimes, I just want a good economical tire that will last a long time. I never push the car hard into corners or brake very hard.
What is your impression of them so far? Any characteristics of performance that you can judge already?

What is your impression of them so far? Any characteristics of performance that you can judge already?
They are a bit too firm....but I just checked the air pressure although I just drove the car a few miles at low speed-40psi. Will check again tomorrow morning to see if the Discount Tire guys gave them too much.

Had to nail the brakes last night on the highway and they felt grippy. I simply don't take turns hard at all so the handling will never be something that I can give a good assessment on.

My last tires were really bad, and by bad I mean one of them had tread separation or a bad flat spot. The rears barely passed inspection last month. I did not have time to really research so I looked up what Michelins my local DT was selling. 80k warranty was a strong selling point since I drive almost 20k miles a year, i'm 90% highway and there is a DT 1 mile from my work (easy to get them to rotate on a lunch break).

Reactions: FZ1
I also check my tires psi first thing in the am, before the sun can warm the ones in its path.. Believe me, it does and it adds about 1-2 psi to the tires measured cold pressure. I've found that 36 psi is a good universal pressure for most vehicles and tires that I've owned. The last shop that installed a set on my crown vic set the pressures at 42 psi warm, so probably 40 cold. I had no complaints with the tires so I just left them at 40. I'll probably wind up setting them at 38 for whatever reason, I just feel compelled to mess around with pressure.

I have a 60 psi racing gauge with 1 psi increments. It is calibrated and is accurate to 1/2 psi. It was a birthday gift from my German grandfather who was OCD and meticulous in all his technical skills. I think it was the best gift I've ever received, and the most costly at $200. Overkill but appreciated, I've used it quite a bit for at least 4 years now. Thanks Gramps!

I have a different take on this.
Fair weather cruiser that is not driven hard and low miles per year.
I would buy the cheapest tire Discount tire sells for this car.
$86 each.

I agree with the sentiment, but I have been burned too many times by buying the cheapest tire.
UPDATE: I ended up ordering the Pirellis. Basically, the same tire that was originally on the car when I bought it 14 years ago.
I figured that it would give me the handling I was used to and was within the budget.
Besides, if they still hold air and have no visible cracks after 14 years, they can't be too bad.

Back