tires for lucerne

Looking at replacing tires on my 06 lucerne. I drive maybe 250 miles a week, 10 mile trips around town etc. only once or twice a year I go out of town in this vehicle. Not looking for top tier tire just something decent in the 55k+ mile range, currently has Kelly Edge AS on it and have no complaints for comparison. I was surprised to see Wal Mart had 2 tires under $100 which I thought was good old days at this point. Unless these are problematic (poorly made) being a Walmart exclusive it seems like either the GY or Kumho would be a viable option. Part of me just has reservations about buying a walmart tire. I have moved to DT a lot in the past few years but they can't get the Kelly or the WM eexclusive tires.

235-55-17
Same Kelly Edge $130
Roadhugger GTP $130 (DT)
Goodyear reliant $94 (WM)
Kumho LX platinum KU27 $85 (WM)

any other suggestions? Prefer not to spend more than 130 per tire, otherwise I'll just put the Kellys I know back on it and move on.

Last edited:
Although Kumho LX Platinum is Walmart-exclusive now, it wasn't always. It used to be a regular tire in Kumho's regular lineup, but it was replaced by the Solus TA71. At that time, the old LX became Walmart-only. It's just an older design, that's all.

Is snow a consideration? If so, the Nokian Nordman Solstice (old WRG3) is a good choice. They also carry the Toyo Celsius.

GT Radial Champiro Touring is $106 at Simple Tire, I just installed a set on my 1999 Mustang and I absolutely love them for cheap all seasons for a daily, there is virtually no noise and ride really well.

Falken Ziex ZE960 is just above your price range @ 137.00 at Discount Tire, but would be a good upgrade

@slacktide, Snow is not a huge concern, we get a few inches at a time here a few times a year and within a day most roads are cleared anyway. I would generally be more concerned with wet traction and overall wear characteristics.

DT may likely try to get you into the Yokohama line, they seem to have deals on them. Maybe the yk740 if memory serves? I’ve had no issues with Yokohama tires; running a set now. I do not know if they have any models to avoid.

Any real world experience with treadwear on the Kumho from Walmart? I see they were once a 60k tire, but it looks like this latest iteration at WM is 50k. Question is, is that realistic or do they wear considerably faster in real world? For driving comparison the Kelly Edge I have are supposed to be 55k, and I have right at 50k on them and its just reached the bars.

Another tire I'm looking at is the Cooper Endeavour plus, Big O is running a $100 off special on a set. Would be a few hundred more than the Kumho but rated for 65k miles. From ratings I found these may be somewhat better in wet or snow.

I have the kumho LX platinum on 2 cars extremely happy. One car has about 20k on them seem to be wearing well and still super quiet. Best budget tires out there still cheaper than some no name Chinese tires. Tire rack has a full test on them came in second place to the general RT but at a much cheaper price. Definitely not good in the snow from tests on tire rack

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_164329011.jpg
    IMG_20220201_164329011.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220201_164444832.jpg
    IMG_20220201_164444832.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 14
Gerneral Altimax RT43

That would be perfect for the Buick. Excellent handling and smooth ride.

Looking at replacing tires on my 06 lucerne. I drive maybe 250 miles a week, 10 mile trips around town etc. only once or twice a year I go out of town in this vehicle. Not looking for top tier tire just something decent in the 55k+ mile range, currently has Kelly Edge AS on it and have no complaints for comparison. I was surprised to see Wal Mart had 2 tires under $100 which I thought was good old days at this point. Unless these are problematic (poorly made) being a Walmart exclusive it seems like either the GY or Kumho would be a viable option. Part of me just has reservations about buying a walmart tire. I have moved to DT a lot in the past few years but they can't get the Kelly or the WM eexclusive tires.

235-55-17
Same Kelly Edge $130
Roadhugger GTP $130 (DT)
Goodyear reliant $94 (WM)
Kumho LX platinum KU27 $85 (WM)

any other suggestions? Prefer not to spend more than 130 per tire, otherwise I'll just put the Kellys I know back on it and move on.

try poking around on the tire rack website and compare tire characteristics in price range you are comfortable with and I will bet you find something better than the Kellys for the same or less money. I would shop the tire you find locally and see if you can beat tire rack's price. My guess is that you can.

As much as narrowing down tires by price & brand, also narrow down what you want your tire to do better(than your current tires), in the areas you deem most important and less of what is least important to you, due to your driving style & climate.

And though I believe that most all season tires will do well in snow(some better than others), snow performance seems to be of leaser concern.
What areas are more important to you?
ride? handling? quiet/smooth riding? rain soaked roads? highway tracking/stability?

I really don't have too many complaints about the Kelly's, nothing stands out anyway. Got just under 50k out of them and almost down to the bars. There isn't really anything that I would say I was really looking to improve considering how I drive and what its used for. I had hoped for easy winter and make it to spring and so far so good but plan on doing something in the next month.

After looking at the Kumho at WM in person today, I am leaning that way again even though its a little shorter mileage tire for the price (86$) it looks like a nice tire. I've run different Kumho in the past (mid 2000s) and remember they weren't the greatest in snow and ice but still always got wherever I needed to go with them. They also had the new Tiger paw on the shelf and those look good too with all kinds of sipes in the latest version but they are another 35$ per tire. Only advantage might be getting a little longer life tire now vs paying again down the road but I usually start seeing age problems after 4 years or so anyway regardless of miles.

Back