Douglas and kelly

I recently noticed that the new Douglas AS tire at WM is the old Kelly Edge. Is it safe to assume it’s the exact same tire just different name since they are both part of Goodyear or so they ‘detune’ the tire to cheapen it up for WM?

I have run Douglas All Season tires on 2 different vehicles without a problem for years, currently still have them on my Toyota after about 3 1/2 years now daily driven, are they the smoothest or quietest tires? no but they do the job for the money and since they are made by Goodyear they have my trust.

I’ve run the Kelly edge for 50k and no problems. There is a new Kelly out now but it’s 140 vs the Douglas which looks like old Kelly for 93. If it’s the same as the old tire that’s a decent savings on a 15 year old car.

I’ve run the Kelly edge for 50k and no problems. There is a new Kelly out now but it’s 140 vs the Douglas which looks like old Kelly for 93. If it’s the same as the old tire that’s a decent savings on a 15 year old car.
I got about 30k give or take a little bit on the Douglas on my Toyota, I see no reason why it would not make it to 45-50k, plenty of tread left.

Kelly Edge was a 20k tire with nothing special on my used Pilot. My replacement Michelin CrossClimates show little wear at 15k.

This is common.

A lot of times, an older tire design will become a private label or store exclusive tire. Another example is some of the Falken tires sold at Pep boys that used to be nationwide offerings are now PB-only. And also at Walmart, the Kumho LX Platinum is now a WM-only tire after being a regular tire for years.

Reactions: JTK
I recently noticed that the new Douglas AS tire at WM is the old Kelly Edge. Is it safe to assume it’s the exact same tire just different name since they are both part of Goodyear or so they ‘detune’ the tire to cheapen it up for WM?

The tires could be exactly the same or they could be completely different. Even if they are reusing the same molds, the green tire going in could be quite different.

Make no assumptions here.

Walmart has so much buying power, I'm sure Goodyear has no problem making them what ever they want. Using existing tooling and process fits the price point for them.

I've had good luck with Douglas and Kelly tires over the years. In fact, I just purchased a set of 4 Kelly Winter Access snow tires for our Malibu in 225/60/16 off the amazon machine for $77/ea. They look really nice. Made in USA too.

this is for a vehicle I put less than 10,000 miles a year around town. Between the Douglas and the Kumo platinum does one stand out above the other? The Douglas they have in stock the Kumo I’d have to wait a few days.

this is for a vehicle I put less than 10,000 miles a year around town. Between the Douglas and the Kumo platinum does one stand out above the other? The Douglas they have in stock the Kumo I’d have to wait a few days.
You wouldn't be hurting yourself with the Douglases. I put a set on Dad's Dodge after he retired and they've worn every bit as well as the OEM-spec Kumhos that came off of it. He drives the car 1-2x a week.

douglas (kelly) versus kumho from walmart. at various times ive had both brands. without knowing the intended vehicle, location of use or tire size i would choose kumho.

e.g. for size 205 55 r16: kelly is $68, 500ab, 9/32m, h; kumho is $69.60, 500aa, 11/32, w. both have 50k mile warranty.

Went with the Kumho, happy so far. Surprised how much wider the pattern is and overall how beefy the tire looks but can’t complain about anything yet. Now the WM service center is a different story. Unless I have problems with these it may be the only time I ever visit.

Back