Tires for 2006 Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT. I was able to talk the seller down quite a bit because it needed new tires. Now it's time to buy tires. Originally, at the top of my consideration list were the Continental ProContact ECO plus and the Kumho Solus KR21. They are both available at a pretty reasonable price and I've used the KR21 before with good results. The reviews show that the ECO plus has a bit better all around traction for a negligible price increase. However, today I was finding a lot of reviews showing that the tread life tends to be very poor, closer to 40,000 miles rather than the advertised 85,000. So now I'm thinking very seriously about the Micheline Defender. It seems to be the top rated tire in it's class (according to tire rack) and there's a $70 mail in rebate on those right now. I'm pretty much looking for a tire with excellent pavement grip in dry and wet conditions with good tread life at a decent price. I already have a set of winter tires so I'm not worried about snow/ice performance. The Defender seems to meet all of those criteria; with the mail in rebate helping it in the price category.

Thoughts or recommendations?

They've been out for a year or so, so haven't heard mileage complaints yet. I suspect Michelin knows people want "middle of the road" tires and this is their (slam dunk) entry.

The Continental's are a Low Rolling Resistance tire, better mileage, but less tread than regular Continental's....

I've had several different sets on my GC over the years. Currently, I have the Michelin Defenders and I am very happy. They are supposed to be a 90k tire.

Look for an A traction, A temperature on the sidewall of the new tire. "B" temp is OK, but not the best, c is gov't minimum...

Look for a M/S on the new tire, this indicates an all season.

Divide the price by the treadwear to get cost per mile, lower number is better.

Now break the date code, Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year. Tires should be 9 months old or less, and not greater than 18 months.

New

Watch out for "Eco" or "Low Rolling Resistance" tires. they can wear faster, and have less traction. They can also look nearly exactly like their "regular" brother / sister tires.

On a Dodge/Chrysler minivan (and I have one), you'd do fine with the Michelin Defenders. You're the target market for this tire.

Michelins are darned expensive even with the rebate.

I've had Cooper CS4s on my T&C, and they've performed admirably - 67,000 miles so far and I can't get 'tm to wear out so I can install the hankook Optimo H727s I got delivered for $285. They're 100,000 mile rated and came out overall nearly as good as the Michelins in the Tirerack ratings for a lot less cash...

I put Michelin X Radial DTs on our 2007 Chrysler Town & Country (same van), and really enjoyed those. If we still had it, I'd use the Defenders. I put Latitude Tours on our CR-V because at the time, the Defenders had JUST come out and I had no feedback on them. I should have bought the Defenders; our in-law's have the Defenders on their CR-V and they drive superb.

The General Altimax HP is a good tire.

Although I am usually against directional tires, it's OK if you get them at Walmart since their installation package includes free re-balance and rotation every 7500 miles. Yes, they will actually remount and balance directional tires during the rotation so the traditional drawbacks of directional tires don''t apply. Also, there is a $50 rebate this month.

The non-directional Altimax RT also has the rebate

The Dunlop Signature II isn't too bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back