Tires for 19” Mazda 6

Debating on tires... if I can get these deals to work out (which everyone makes sound easy, between price matching and the current deals). What would you do? This is just my daily, I don’t play around or care for sport handling, although initially I was leaning towards continental extreme contacts before I realized how pricey they are in this size.

michelin primacy OR pilot sports(Costco). $800 installed

continental ( IF I can get GM to price match and give the $100 off) $560 plus install (assuming ~$680). Or $750 through the mopar deal.

General gmax all seasons (IF I can get GM to price match and give the $100 off) $480 (assuming $
600 installed). $650 through mopar deal.

nitto Motivo from the mopar deal $635

Toyo proxes 4+ $430 (assuming $550 installed)(if GM price matches and gives $100 off). $620 through mopar deal.

I have no experience with general, nitto, or toyo. I feel like they’re decent enough to consider, but they do have some iffy reviews online so I’m not sure. If I can’t get GM to play the price match game, Continentals are only about $50 shy of Michelin’s at Costco. I wanted conti for the sporty factor, but it’s hard to not pay $20 more for Costco’s perks (all I’d use is their flat repair most likely, as I perform my own maintenance)

How important is snow performance? What is your tire size? :)

You might be interested in 3-peak all-season tires like Michelin's own CrossClimate+

How important is snow performance? What is your tire size? :)

You might be interested in 3-peak all-season tires like Michelin's own CrossClimate+

225/45r19

really not that important to me. I’m in Maryland. If we get snow, it’s handled very quickly. People here can’t drive at all though, and I have a ton of leave, so if it snows i pretty much cal out to skip the frustration of a 30 minute commute turning into 1-2 hours.

There's always the BITOG favorite Cooper CS5 Ultra :D

Another good tire is the Dunlop Signature HP.

Although not available in your size, General's RT43 is another BITOG favorite

Is discount tire an option? I've always found competitive prices and great customer service.

Reactions: GON
Is discount tire an option? I've always found competitive prices and great customer service.

they aren’t in Maryland. I’ve found that if I mail order tires, every shop around here is going to kill any type of deal I get with higher install fees.

Those tires above are good!

Cooper or Mastercraft tires are cheaper solid choices as well....

coopers aren’t really sold enough around here to get a deal. Every time I’ve price checked a cooper tire, they come out right in line with others instead of cheaper.

I always tell people to ask themselves..."what do you want your tires to do for you compared to the OE tires?"

*Ride better?
*Handle better?(wet/dry)
*Brake shorter?*wet/dry)
*Better foul weather performance(even if the foul weather is only rain)?
*Smoother/Quieter?
*Longer lasting?
*Better MPG?
*Better value?
*Better everyday-ness?
*What?

I mean, you bought that Mazda6 with those tires & in that size because you wanted performance. Do you want similar performance as the OE tires or are you willing to change certain aspects to get other benefits elsewhere?

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2? The Hankook tires have very similar UTQG ratings as the tires you listed. I had a set on a 2017 Escape. They were very good tires and I recommend them.

I always tell people to ask themselves..."what do you want your tires to do for you compared to the OE tires?"

*Ride better?
*Handle better?(wet/dry)
*Brake shorter?*wet/dry)
*Better foul weather performance(even if the foul weather is only rain)?
*Smoother/Quieter?
*Longer lasting?
*Better MPG?
*Better value?
*Better everyday-ness?
*What?

I mean, you bought that Mazda6 with those tires & in that size because you wanted performance. Do you want similar performance as the OE tires or are you willing to change certain aspects to get other benefits elsewhere?

it came with really bad Dunlop’s. I only got the touring with 19s because I was buying the 6 before the new models hit with cylinder shut down...having a daily driver with 19s wouldn’t have been my 1st choice. Not that I don’t like the looks.

Have you looked at the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2? The Hankook tires have very similar UTQG ratings as the tires you listed. I had a set on a 2017 Escape. They were very good tires and I recommend them.

they’ve popped up and I’ve read some reviews. I’ve had hankooks years ago and not liked them. The reviews on these seemed a bit mixed. Thank you for the experience with them though. They are sort of considered, just unsure.

it came with really bad Dunlop’s. I only got the touring with 19s because I was buying the 6 before the new models hit with cylinder shut down...having a daily driver with 19s wouldn’t have been my 1st choice. Not that I don’t like the looks.

You can get new wheels, that are smaller, and use higher profile tires with real sidewalls :)

Tire Rack has options down to 16 inches. Their recommended size is 225/60-16. The tire and wheel package would be around $1100, already mounted and balanced, and TPMS sensors already installed. I like the Radius brand wheels because they are made in Italy and a good price. Pair them with Cooper CS5 Ultras.

As much price matching and calling around as I can take, I’m down to these choices.

continental extreme contact dws $805
560 treadwear

general gmax as05. $710
500 treadwear

michelin primacy tour $850

or continental sure contact, only available at NTB Merchants, possibly $740 after a $70 mail in rebate. (He stated he’d match the dws price because they’re a similar tire, but not sold on the fact he actually will when it comes down to it, plus it’s only available at NTB and merchants is kind of a downfall).
560 treadwear

I’m a horrible decision maker. Being a tech it’s hard to swallow paying someone to do my tires, but I work in a government fleet now and the only place I had to do sidework was my friends shops who recently sold it. What do you guys think you’d do?

the biggest plus to me for Costco is flat repairs included, as I can’t properly patch a tire without tire equipment. I don’t care about rotating, I do that myself. Balancing isn’t typically needed after my tires are mounted. I have continental on another car and they’ve held their balance perfectly

Out of those three, get the G-Max

The Michelin Primacy Tour is a different kind of tire than the other two. Michelin's counterpart to the DWS and G-Max is the Pilot Sport AS4.

I think OP needs to make his mind what kind of tire s/he wants and then go for the good deal.
Hard to help you what to buy if the question is: I can buy this premium red paint for 805, less premium, different shade of red for 710 and really cool green for 850!
What do you want?

Krzyś

The choices are all suitable for a daily driver. Sure, I’d say I prefer the sportier asymmetrical tires, but in reality I don’t push my car to ever notice those differences. It’s a daily driver and it’s slow. I was including the primacy due to its higher treadwear rating than the sportier pilot model. It’s just a hard pill to swallow looking at the prices of continental now, they used to be inline with Yokohama as a more value oriented tire. Now they seem inline with Michelin.

The Pilot Sport AS4 has the same 540 treadwear rating as the Primacy Tour, which is slightly up from the AS3's 500. All three have the same 45k warranty

Also, the Primacy Tour only has 9/32 tread while the Pilot Sports have the full 10/32, so overall treadlife could be the same in real-world use.

Back