tires for 06 lucerne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a used Lucerne with 45000 miles, it still has 2 of the original tires and 2 newer (80%) Dunlop sig 2 tires on it. I know I need to put at least 2 tires on it but also considering 4 if I find the dunlops aren't that great. Here is what im considering...

2 new dunlops to match, this would be my least expensive option.

4 new Cooper CS5 Grand touring

4 new General Altimax 43

I would like good wet and snow/ice traction, and decent life. The Dunlop seems to drive well on dry pavement but most tires do. Looks like it lacks some of the siping of the others which I thought might hurt wet/snow traction.

Any thoughts on any of these or other reccomendations.

Match up those Dunlop Signature tires with a new pair. Dunlop is owned by Goodyear, and folks here seem to like them.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Match up those Dunlop Signature tires with a new pair. Dunlop is owned by Goodyear, and folks here seem to like them.

+1 if you have two perfectly good tires I would match them with two new tires and call it a day. If all 4 were worn down I would say the Generals but dont junk two perfectly good tires.

The Dunlop sig 2 have had good reviews, should just add two more.

I have an Uplander and Windstar mini van. The Uplander have Michelin Defenders and the Windstar have a set of Cooper CS5's. While the defenders have a better ride and handling in the recent 10 inch snow storm, the CS5's have better traction in my experience.

I had looked at the generals for my 07 odyssey van but ended up going a different direction (Hankook H727). I may check around and see if anybody takes trade ins, I am doubtful but have in the past been able to trade in a decent set of tires like this as long as it went towards a new set.

As long as the Dunlops have decent wet and light snow/ice traction I'd be happy.

Get 2 new tires, I don't see a reason why they have to match. Put the new ones in the front so they'll wear evenly with the used ones on the rear

I was in a similar situation this weekend. Daughter's car with 50k needed two new fronts. Backs had a little over half tread left. Tire place said new tires are $70 each (Sonata) and if you buy 4 there is a $70 rebate, in effect get 4 for the price of 3. Just tough to spend an extra $180 with install/valves/balance now and wait for the rebate. Not a bad offer though.

Here are some ratings for the Dunlops...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Signature+II+%28T-Speed+Rated%29

eljefino,
I thought about Craigslist, but didn't know what kind of luck I would have. I tried to sell some GY eagles a few years ago and got 0 interest.

Nick1994,
I just like to have 4 matching tires, not necessarily tread depth or age, more for looks.

Looking at the tirerack survey and comparing tires, it looks like the Dunlop and General both rank in the top 3 in snow, ice and wet traction so I guess its probably a toss up there. There were no cooper tires to compare.

On a side note... also explains why my FIL hates driving his Altima on snow/ice with Continental Pro contacts, they had very poor scores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
+1 if you have two perfectly good tires I would match them with two new tires and call it a day. ...dont junk two perfectly good tires.

+2, what he and others have said.

Originally Posted By: mbaker
eljefino,
I thought about Craigslist, but didn't know what kind of luck I would have. I tried to sell some GY eagles a few years ago and got 0 interest.

I had some luck selling almost anything on Craigslist.

Some months ago I sold 3 tires: 2 Falken FK452 with 4-5/32" tread remaining, sold for $60 to a guy who has Audi with the same Falken FK452, 2 had around the same tread and 2 were bald. He was to sell his car within a month or so, he was happy to get 2 same tire so he can sell his car easier.

The third tire was 12 years old spare GY F1, DT refused to install it to replace a flat tire for reason that it was more than 10 years old. I sold to a guy who had the same tire for $50, he know that was 12 years old but didn't care.

Bought a new front load 4.0 cu/ft LG washer for $580(plus tax) to replace the 5 years old 3.2 cu/ft front load LG washer, sold old one on Craigslist for $325. With $250 rebate from water company and $75 rebate from gas company, my cost after tax and installation was minus $25. Yes, I pocketed $25 with newer and larger washer.

I've sold and bought several sets on CL. Every transaction has been smooth.

What really sell quickly are decent truck tires...

Last edited:
I'll bet you are replacing the Continental OEM's on your LuCerne. I've found Tirerack.com to be an excellent source of info along with a great selection of tires. It looks like the Dunlops will be fine. I'm about to put my third set of tires on my '06 LuCerne and I'm going with the Kumho's . I've gotten about 47k out of each set of Continentals I've had on there (I've got 95k on the ticker).

The Lucerne is a nice car, but after 80k I've had alot of repair bills. Most recent; new struts, new engine mount. Soon a new pan gasket for oil leak.

It has 2 dunlops already, and 2 of the original continentals.

I bought the car at a somewhat reduced price from my grandmothers estate after she passed away. They bought it new and only has 46k on it, so I know the history on it. Hopefully I can get a few inexpensive years out of it. I have an older Bonneville (97) with same engine and tranny and outside of the intake gasket issue of that era I have had very little expense up to 200,000 miles. Of course there are a few leaks but that can be expected on a 17 year old car. I've already spent more in normal maintenance on my wifes 07 Odyssey (think timing belt) than I have on the Bonneville since 2001. That is frustrating....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back