Tires for 02 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully in a few short weeks it will be time to take off the Blizzaks. When we switched over to our winter tires in the fall it was clear that the current tires on the car were not going to be worth putting back on in the spring. Therefore we are in the market for new tires (225/60/16 98T).

Basically we are looking for an inexpensive smooth riding, quite all-season tires. Not worried about winter traction as I have dedicated snow tires. I recently received a $500 gift card from Costco and was looking at the tires that they have in my size:

$141.99 Michelin Defender XT
$132.95 Michelin Symmetry
$109.99 BF Goodrich Advantage TA
$84.99 Uniroyal Tiger Paw

Was considering the Tiger Paw’s since the van has almost 155,000 miles and we only plan on keeping the vehicle until the spring/summer of 2015…or are these tires complete junk?

Maybe we should just go elsewhere and perhaps look at the RT43’s, CS4s, or 727s which of course means that I will be paying for these out of my pocket.

Originally Posted By: Azeem
I have Tiger Paw on one of my cars and definitely a good tire for the money.

My mom had tiger paws on her 96 grand caravan. That van would go through anything. And if the snow banks were high enough to stop forward motion it was easy to reverse in the already beaten track and ram the snow bank again.
Those tires were great in the snow. So was the van.

Uniroyal is clearly the 'entry level' of the three brands that Michelin owns (Michelin, BFG, Uniroyal).

A couple of the local car dealers will slap Uniroyals on all of the trade ins that they sell, if they need a cheap set of name brand rubber.

Personally, after having a set of sub-par Uniroyals that a local dealer slapped on before I bought it, I'd opt for the BFG.

The Uniroyals always felt as if they were full of pudding, despite playing with the air pressure in the attempt to find any sort of a sweet spot.

Handling was not a strong quality, and a sloppy tire would not be a good thing on a top heavy vehicle like a van.

Get the Defender.

The Symmetry is a very old tire that was discontinued years ago. And they're not even that much cheaper than the still fresh Defender. You would think they could at least give a closeout discount.

Uniroyal is Chinese junk.

I don't know too much about BF Goodrich except that they're owned by Michelin.

With that $500 gift card, the Defender is a no-brainer. Even though you'll have to add $100 to it, that's a really good deal a set of Michelin tires for $100!

The only reason not to buy Michelin is that they're so expensive, but with a gift card like that it's not a problem
smile.gif

The Cooper CS4 is a really good tire and is about the price of the uniroyal. In fact now I prefer Cooper over all brands except maybe Continental

Maybe you can trade the gift card with some friend or family,if you don't like those sets of tires

I'd go with the Uniroyals if you're only going to keep the van another 18 months, and 4 of those will be with the winter tires on. It is a minivan, not a sports car.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Primacy MXV4's

you just missed $70 off a set of 4
But with a bit of shopping, You can get the price down

+1 on this. I've put 2 sets of these on my wifes Accord so far and they're quiet, have great traction in the rain, and ride smooth as can be. They also wear really well. At 6 years old, can't remember how many miles, the tires still had 60% of the tread depth left.

DTD through ebay has a sale until 3/16

100$ off 400$ purchase
code CMOTORS0314

also stackable with any rebates available.

prices are shipped to your door. not installed.
4 NEW 225/60-16 YOKOHAMA ENVIGOR 60R R16 TIRES

316$

4 NEW 225/60-16 COOPER CS4 TOURING 60R R16 TIRES
324$-60$ mir= 264$

225/60-16 HANKOOK OPTIMO H727 60R

364$

Originally Posted By: Rand
DTD through ebay has a sale until 3/16

100$ off 400$ purchase
code CMOTORS0314

also stackable with any rebates available.

prices are shipped to your door. not installed.
4 NEW 225/60-16 YOKOHAMA ENVIGOR 60R R16 TIRES

316$

4 NEW 225/60-16 COOPER CS4 TOURING 60R R16 TIRES
324$-60$ mir= 264$

225/60-16 HANKOOK OPTIMO H727 60R

364$

Thanks for the lead, I would have to check it out...which ones do you think fit my application best? The Yokohama's Coopers, or Hankooks?

I'd probably get the coopers out of those 3. They are a mere
67$/tire after MIR and you should get good service out of them.

The yokohamas snow performance is probably below-average.

the hankooks are decent but you dont really need to pay extra for a high mileage tire

You can also pick T or H rated for your application.

There were a few more options out there. Pirelli p4 with 100$ off+ rebate

and a few others but they were all at least 440$ or more.

Thanks for the insights, as I am sure you know the Odyssey is very hard on tires. The last set we had on the car were Mastercrafts which are made by Cooper and did OK.

Perhaps the Coopers might be worth a try especially at that price point...can't be any worse than the OEM Michelins or the Toyo's that we had.

I ended up getting the CS4's, the $60 MIR swayed me...the net was $445 OTD with tax!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back