Tires Caravan

I have Kuhmo 225/65/17 that only has 18k on them and today I got out then noticed a lug on center of tire missing. Mad just doesn't describe it. I have a Goodyear Credit Card and they have 150.00 rebate right now. Two tires I am looking at are Goodyear Assurance Maxlife and Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread. The 2 tires seem to be equal but one is 20.00 more so if you ran these 2 tires give your thoughts on them. I know I can go with cheaper Assurance but it doesn't have load or speed rating of other 2 and I load this van down at times.

The two look extremely similar except that comfort-pad thing in the Comfort Tread. It seems like a weakness in the tire to me, making the tire both more expensive and 5K shorter warranty.

How aggressive do you drive? Considering a caravan doesn't handle all that well to begin with, I'd probably lean towards a standard mileage tire for better grip than the longer life tires provide.

Do you even need a new set of tire? A picture of the damaged tire might help but I'd be inclined to just replace the ONE tire, especially if you can get it warrantied or even just one new tire and have a shop shave it to the same diameter, assuming the other 3 existing tires still have a good amount of tread remaining.

On center tread it's missing a lug so tire is coming apart. Afraid rest will do the same
I mostly drive in town but on occasion I have to drive aggressive getting on interstate so I will get up to 80+. Have been up to 115 but don't do that often. I could get cheaper but rating is for 102 and what is on there are rated 130
Van actually handles pretty well for what it is
Tires don't have warranty cause they are original.

I normally don’t say this- just get a set of Defenders (Michelin) for that van. It will be a night and day difference. My parents put a set on their 2012 T&C and man does that van drive better!

I have a set a Goodyears (assurance) on my Cobalt, and they are good tires. But those Defenders will make a difference.....

I've had the ComforTread in a smiilar size on a Lexus RX and loved them. The were nice riding and quiet and very good in the snow

I have an appointment Monday to get Assurance Maxlife installed with an oil change so both will due at same time. With my back getting worse and 30.00 oil changes with tire rotation I don't think I can do it for that and keep warranty. If I did it there wouldn't be a record for tires as well as warranty for the van. 6000 miles on Valvoline Daily is doable since it is a Synthetic Blend.

Tiger, was the bad tire on the front by chance? All of our minivans were rough on tires, especially our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan on the fronts. Cheap tires would last maybe 20K miles.

Tiger, was the bad tire on the front by chance? All of our minivans were rough on tires, especially our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan on the fronts. Cheap tires would last maybe 20K miles.
I just rotated them 500 miles ago from rear and didn't notice if it was that way before but yes left front. Sad thing is tire wear was perfect so I don't need alignment although they tried telling me that camber or caster being out will cause this. I don't think either can be adjusted just toe.

I'd probably want a reputable shop to check alignment if I were going to put a $1000 set of tires on it. To be fair, I think the most "premium" tires I ever put on my minivans were coopers or mastercrafts.

I know every vehicle and tire size is going to vary, but I've always shied away from premium tires because I never saw the lifespan out of them that you paid for, They'd get hard and noisy, or I'd get a non-repairable puncture.

On center tread it's missing a lug so tire is coming apart. Afraid rest will do the same

Inspect them all carefully, it could just be a pothole or other road debris caused damaged. Dodge isn't known for being aggressive at doing recalls but if the tires were all crap, I'd think you'd hear of more people having this problem - Then again I haven't checked on Dodge forums.

I mostly drive in town but on occasion I have to drive aggressive getting on interstate so I will get up to 80+. Have been up to 115 but don't do that often. I could get cheaper but rating is for 102 and what is on there are rated 130
Van actually handles pretty well for what it is
Tires don't have warranty cause they are original.
80+ just getting on the interstate seems pretty aggressive to me, so I'd get a more performance oriented tire instead of either of those two choices. Modern vans do handle well for what they are, but they are still, what they are. No amount of suspension tweaking can change the physics of having a high center of gravity.

Inspect them all carefully, it could just be a pothole or other road debris caused damaged. Dodge isn't known for being aggressive at doing recalls but if the tires were all crap, I'd think you'd hear of more people having this problem - Then again I haven't checked on Dodge forums.

80+ just getting on the interstate seems pretty aggressive to me, so I'd get a more performance oriented tire instead of either of those two choices. Modern vans do handle well for what they are, but they are still, what they are. No amount of suspension tweaking can change the physics of having a high center of gravity.
I am actually easy on tires. Of all the vehicles I ever owned this is first one I have to replace this early in 40 years. I was just taking a second look and tires are 3/32 so time to replace anyhow. Tires I ordered are rated at 130 mph with 6 year warranty up to 85k so I know I will never exceed rating also I don't normally drive aggressive unless I have to then slow down to traffic which normally is 80 mph. Speed sometimes gets away from me as I had low horsepower 4 cyl over last 20 years. (Floor it to get going).

I have an appointment Monday to get Assurance Maxlife installed with an oil change so both will due at same time. With my back getting worse and 30.00 oil changes with tire rotation I don't think I can do it for that and keep warranty. If I did it there wouldn't be a record for tires as well as warranty for the van. 6000 miles on Valvoline Daily is doable since it is a Synthetic Blend.
To late to edit
I will get the tires only. I forgot about the tread warranty was useless. I am at 3500 miles on PP so I was thinking about having them do it so rotation and oil change would be together. Read warranty and it requires rotation but not from Goodyear so I will do myself. I hate tires impacted on and with plastic oil filter housing known for cracking I prefer for me to do it.

Update
I only have 600 miles so they are now broken in. I took it easy for first 500 miles and could feel tire movement with different drift intensity to the right and lack of center feel. Took a trip to the Gulf coast and this is my opinion.
1. Tires are great in town with low speeds stopping and starts. Never had tires break loose which was a problem with Kuhmo. Smooth over all bumps is an understatement.
2. I had to parallel park on rough surface road which had no fight from wheel.
3. Interstate driving is (as wife stated) is more comfortable and quiet than your living room. There was a hollow section of interstate that was loud then few more miles got silent.
4. Stopping distance from 70 mph is precise with excellent grip.
5. Didn't notice a fuel mileage difference but I am on new tank of fuel so that will be later determined.
6. Had to make a pretty aggressive move to avoid accident and the grip didn't disappoint.
Overall I am impressed with the tires on dry pavement no rain yet.

Reactions: JC1
Back