Tire warranty - did they screw me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I had a 130,000 tread warranty on my tires. They have gone to pot after 70,000 KM.

Purchased from Candadian Tire one of their house brands. I could have sworn that when I bought them a few years ago, there was a pro-rated warranty, but the store guy says no I'm mistaken. I've got the bill but it says nothing about the warranty.

Am I dreaming?

The tires now say "Performance Rating"

You are both right:

A) Do you have any "evidence" the tires were both rotated, aligned, and rebalanced at factory appropriate intervals?

evidence = reciepts *lol*

B) Next thing you have to do is gauge the tires.

How many mm left?

C) If they do not honor the warranty call the manafacturer direct and get a reference number of the call.

Likely they will call the tire center and yell at them for you.

Tire sales are commission jobs. They will use every excuse possible to duck out paying you our your fare and square warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by asenna:
I thought I had a 130,000 tread warranty on my tires. They have gone to pot after 70,000 KM.

Typically, to maintain a tire warranty you need to get the car wheels aligned and wheels balanced 2 or 4 times a year. The cost of that far exceeds the repair or replacement cost of a tire. I did claim on a tire warranty once, when I had a puncture on an almost new tire and the sidewall was damaged so badly that the tire had to be replaced. The tire shop measured the tread depth on the damaged tire and it was the same depth as a new tire.

Good luck with your situation. In my experience, the warranty is written so as to be almost worthless and you are at the mercy of the tire shop owner. Some shops will be more generous than others.

Keith.

FYI,

Alignments you will always pay for unless the car specs as perfect...then the check is no charge.

Balancing and Rotation?

I disagree, Sears, Goodyear, NTB, Discount Tire, etc will all provide LIFETIME balancing and rotation warranties on thier tire sales.

It is just a shame most people are unaware of that benefit or just not care.

Funnier thing is that i'd estimate 8/10 (conservative) that are daily driven are out of alignment!! I know this 1st hand
wink.gif

Most people only get an alignment with a fresh set of tires or when suspension work is done and it is absolutely required (ie CV Shafts, Ball Joints, Tie-Rods, etc)

So an alignment once a year, and 5k rotations is not asking to much.

With a house brand, calling the manufacturer is going to do you no good at all. That's the whole pupose of the house brand - offer a low price and the manufacturer doesn't have to handle the details.

I'm not entirely sure that what you got is totally unreasonable, given that there are several things that could cause the tires to wear faster than normal.

Hope this helps.

Usually the tread wear warranty is handled by the manufactorer. The place you bought the tires may or may not help you in filling out this warranty. Really they shouldn't be able to void it for not rotating and balancing them, UNLESS there is uneven wear. Doesn't mean they won't though.

Either way on a Pro-rate, you don't stand to get alot back.

-T

The tires were rotated, the alignment checked, and inflation was correct. And I keep a record of all work done on the car.

What surprised me was that the tires didn't last all that long only 70,000 KM. Rating called for 130,000 KM.

I could have sworn that the tires were covered by a warranty. I was told that only one company does that (Michellin sp?) and not Krappy Tire aka Canadian Tire.

My battery from them had a prorated warranty 60 months I think. When it died I got a good chunk of the new battery paid for.

Actually many of the parts I have on my car have partial or lifetime warranties. I know that many people would never benefit from the warranty because they get rid of the car before the part wears out.

My exhaust, struts, ball joints, spark plug wires, timing belt, to name but a few things that I have replaced, have lifetime warranties on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back