Tire time for G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
My turn for tires. I'll pull the trigger whenever... I dont plan on putting on the wheels until Halloween or Thanksgiving pending temps.

Tires are going on my G35x AWD. 215/55/17. I'm looking for a decent set of all seasons. Priced around $500 all 4 to my door. No brand loyalty, but current ones are firestone FR710 and i dont want those again. I used to have my buddy let me use his tire machine so it was no cost to me but now he is done so most likely considering using something like discount tire or tirebuyer.com and using one of their peoples.

215/55/17 is the size. Will be driven in chicago snow/rust/ below 0F weather. Might see spirited driving when the weather breaks. Traction in slush is main concern. I do a lot of highway driving, the city is decent at cleaning the snow off but its all slush that gets people. FR710 was decent for me the last 2 years, i got a free set. I was stuck once but thats was my fault and not the car/tire.

I was really consider Kumho 4x II, but its too new to get reviews. People seem to like the Cooper Zeon/ CS5 for their ecoboxes but i'm not sure if that is a good idea for my somewhat sporty car, which has a 300hp motor with a 3900lb body.

Also is Discount tire road hazard something worth my money? Its about $80 for all 4 tires, 3 year warranty. My friend loves it because he seems to use it all the time in our pothole infested city.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Michelin Premier A/S:

Link on TireRack

+1
I have a set on my car and they've been great, especially in the rain. Not sure about snow though. Great ride quality too.

However, I will say that they're a bit weak on dry traction and NVH is a bit higher than its predecessor. My set has about 16k on it and they still have 7/32" all around...and they were 8.5/32" new. My driving is anything but conservative to tires.

If you're willing to sacrifice some wet traction, the Pirelli P7+ is a quieter tire and has slightly better dry traction.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

My set has about 16k on it and they still have 7/32" all around...and they were 8.5/32" new. My driving is anything but conservative to tires.

What are you driving?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Michelin Premier A/S:

Link on TireRack

I've always stayed away from Michelin due to price. Well aside from Super sports, which i had for 2 summer season and killed them.

But man those ratings do look solid. I dont know if i can take the price @ 167 knowing that many others are in the $100-125 range.

For your G35X I wouldn't go with any tire with speed rated lower than V.

If you can wait until Black Friday you may be able to buy a set high performance(or ultra high performance) 215/55-17 installed for less than $400.

I had Kumho 4X on my E430 and S2000, its performance/handling in warm climate like So Cal was very good. I replaced Kumho 4X on my E430 to Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 2 weeks ago, with less than 350-400 miles it is hard to compare performance/handling to the almost bald 4X(bald tires perform best on dry surface), but I can say its ride/noise is much better than 4X.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Originally Posted By: The Critic

My set has about 16k on it and they still have 7/32" all around...and they were 8.5/32" new. My driving is anything but conservative to tires.

What are you driving?

He drives a newer Prius.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Cooper CS5 Ultra, V-rated; $424 shipped to door, after rebate: http://is.gd/pbdmJC

Seems to meet all the OP's criteria. Esp under $500 shipped. I'd say they are a winner.

The Kumho 4XII is simply a slight improvement over the 4X, which has been out a couple years, so most of the 4X reviews should apply. The main difference is that the 4XII is supposed to last a bit longer. That $100 rebate should also sweeten the deal for you.

Another good choice would be the Falken Ziex ZE950. Affordable W-rated high performance all-season tires.

The Dunlop Signature II would also serve you well.

Other good choices:
Dunlop Signature HP
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
General Altimax RT43
Kumho Solus TA71 (also has the $100 rebate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back