Tire test by Car & Driver Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I think I remember reading this a few months back in the paper version.

Primus, which tires did you end up getting last year - was it the Maxx? How do you like them?

Quattro Pete,
Apparently you read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...3/GDYR_Car_and_Driver_FINAL_from_Hachette.pdf

As for your question. Sorry, but people often make the opposite of what they are recommended. This is some kind of an irresistible desire to try everything themselves. Me too, I decided to try Falken 451. At least now, I know what's wrong: they're too heavy and rigid/uncomfortable for our roads full of joints, holes and sharp bumps. Even with SO3 it was less noticable. Actually installed winter X-Ice make me feel I drive the car of one level up. Besides, though may be it is not very critical for our climate, but it seems Falken is prone to become greasy at above 25 C and spirited driving in mountainous area. Everything other is good. Nevertheless, for coming summer I would like to install more comfortable tyres like CSC2, CSC3, P Zero Nero. GDS3 and Maxx are in focus too.

Heh... I don't blame you for trying something else.
smile.gif
I'm kind of the same way myself. I took a gamble and got the S03s when they first came out and there were practically no reviews of it yet. But then I chickened out and didn't get the Maxx when it was just released and instead I got the CSC2, although it looks like the two tires are pretty close in most aspects, except the Maxx looks much better.
smile.gif

And yeah, many of these high perf. tires are just not a good match for the crappy eastern european roads. If the poor pavement prevents you from pushing the car through the twisties, what's the point of having such tires? You might as well steer towards comfort.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
And yeah, many of these high perf. tires are just not a good match for the crappy eastern european roads. If the poor pavement prevents you from pushing the car through the twisties, what's the point of having such tires? You might as well steer towards comfort.
frown.gif

Yes, you are fully right, but we are all like kids: wide rims, lower suspension, threatenning sound and you already feel yourself a part of DTM.
cheers.gif

Tell me about it... I'm driving a beaten-down company car with balding skinny all-season tires at the moment. I'm just itching to get rid of it, buy something half-decent of my own and slap some fat sticky tires on it.
smile.gif

if you guys are looking in to those tires, i would recommend you consider the bfgoodrich kdw-2, or 'new tread'. the performance in the wet as well as dry is quite impressive, and the tread design looks amazing, IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back