Tire suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be in the market for tires reasonably soon and wanted to get some suggestions. I've got a set of Wally World goodyear vivas on there now and don't plan on getting another set. Living in oregon the roads are wet 8 months out of the year. Snow is a rarity but when it does happen(like this last winter) it doesn't matter too much because the whole city practically shuts down so there really isn't anywhere to go because everything is closed!
The vivas are god awful in the rain and the ride quality isn't too good even on dry pavement.
I've looked at BF Goodrich and a couple others on tire rack. Stock size is 205/75/15 but I've been thinking about maybe getting slightly larger tires probably up to a 225/75, any larger would probably rub at full lock.
Bfg? Michelin? Others?
Living in oregon les schwab is everywhere, and while they have good service they don't really sell 'good' tires, most are off brand or ones I've never heard of.

I don't think those would fit
I tried just about every reasonable configuration and no dice
Unless I put some spacers on my wheels, but without some fender flares it would probably look a little silly
Looks like a good tire tho

I have good year assurance. I keep them overly inflated since my car rides to soft (if that's even possible) I just wanted to tighten it up

They run nice and smooth tho so no complaints. Granted the came with the car idk if I would justifie the price if it was my $600

You know tiger paws were on the front when I bought the truck and they seemed alright, granted they didn't have a whole lot of life left in them. The back tires had a lot of tread and were kumho solus, they would have been alright had the threads in one of them not given out. The kumho reviews I've read paint them to be a good value for the money, but that experience is too fresh in my mind to consider them.

Last edited:
Tire rack has general grabber at2 for $99 each, are those any good? They've also got Yokohama geolanders for an extra $20/tire. My dad seems to swear by Yokohama for his jaguar

As a B.C. Canadian looking for tire deals south of the border, I never understood the appeal of Les Schwab, garbage no name (that I ever heard of) tires at $$$ prices.

But I have been very pleased with Discount Tire.

My last two purchases were Yokohama Avid Touring and Hankook 727's
Both have been good all around tires.

I just put some Nokian zLine on my Stilo estate in 195 65 15 size. I've made few hudred km with them, very pleased so far. Much nicer tyre then old Dunlop Fastresponse i had on car before. Not sure if available in NA though.

And, 225-70-15(27.4" OD) is another replacement in a +0 application for S-10 owners! And in this case, I would recomend the Firestone Destination LE/2

205-75-15...27.1" OD
215-70-15...26.9" OD
225-70-15...27.4" OD

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&performance=ALL&width=225%2F&ratio=70&diameter=15

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that 225/70R15 is a good replacement size here. I'd recommend the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour. They are more expensive than the also-good Firestone Destination L/E2, but I think you get what you pay for here. The General Grabber HTS is also a good choice.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Yeah, I think that 225/70R15 is a good replacement size here. I'd recommend the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour. They are more expensive than the also-good Firestone Destination L/E2, but I think you get what you pay for here. The General Grabber HTS is also a good choice.

I have the Firestone Destination LE2'S. Phenominal traction both wet and dry - probably the best i've had yet. Also very quiet, which is a bonus!

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
I have the Firestone Destination LE2'S. Phenominal traction both wet and dry - probably the best i've had yet. Also very quiet, which is a bonus!

How many miles do they have?

So no opinion on the yokohamas? I like the look of the michelin defenders...
I want to get new wheels while I'm at it... may have to put them on and hope my girlfriend doesn't notice...

Doesn't Schwab have Toyo? That is a good brand.

There's the General Grabber AT2, and for really cheap the Hankook Optimo H724. There's also the Kumho Sense, a fairly new tire.

Going to 215/70-15 will yield a lot more choices. In that size, I'd take the Dunlop Signature II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back