Tire suggestions for old Toyota pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 1983 Toyota SR5 4x4 from my dad, it's been in the family since new. I'm using it to commute to a job I started several months ago to reduce the wear on our nicer vehicles--inside and out. The job is "sort of" remote, down a dirt road and as I understand the main paved road isn't generally paved for a portion of it.

The truck currently has BFG AT's on it that are literally 20 years old. They actually have some tread left, but are cracking really bad and are making me a little nervous. The tires on it are P235/75R15, although I think the original size is 225/75r15--but that leaves me with no choices really. The BFG's are LT-rated heavy duty, which is why I think they lasted so long. The spare is the same as what's on it, so I probably *should* replace the spare.

I am essentially looking at 3 different tires:
-Discount Tire - Provider Entrada HT, $340/plus tax/fee for a set ($360?)
-Firestone Complete Auto Center - Firestone Destination LE2 - $506.24 OTD price for a set
-Local tire store, Yokohama Geolandar AT, $560/set plus taxes & fees ($600 OTD probably)

I have the Destination LE2's on my 2012 4Runner and have been really happy with them overall. Not super aggressive, but have not had an issue yet. The 4Runner is very new, much heavier, and full time 4WD. I probably have 15k on them and they look great--including a lot of back-and-forth over the mountains.

I really like the look of the Yokohamas, they look like they would give good traction for where I work. They are more expensive though coming in around $600, but better traction than the Firestone.

The Provider tires are cheap, have a tread that looks similar to Michelin MTX.

The commute is super easy, 11 miles, and I don't really drive it over 55. It's all surface streets, with a couple miles of divided thoroughfare, mostly residential/country highway and I think 4 traffic lights.

Normally I would not really even consider the no name tires, but the truck is lightweight, old, and with low demand. I feel kind of dirty considering them, but this truck needs a TON of work. Other than cosmetics, it's gong to need a full exhaust system, emissions & ignition system overhaul, brakes, suspension work, replacement lights, etc. I'm probably going to be into it for close to a grand in just parts to get it up to safety inspection & emissions standards.

Has anyone looked at or used the Provder brand? I know we just put a Chinese heavy truck tire on a work truck, but it's a yard truck that doesn't go over 20MPH--and the tire actually looks fairly decent. Should I even consider the cheap ones, or just go straight to the Firestones? I think the Laufenn (Hankook) might be OK, but probably getting close to the very aggressive price of the Firestones.

I have never heard of provider, but I fall on the side of beater car gets cheap beater tires. In theory They should last, especially if you are not ever going over 80 and are not driving them hard.

However tires are part of a cars safety so if you will be driving the truck hard then it may be worth spending the extra. The only problem I have ever had with cheap chinese tires is having to slow down in the rain. For a beater Honda I spent $300 on I didn't care. On my current cars, I drive them in the mountains and for fun so I tend to spend a little more money on something more grippy.

If its a beater, and needs lots of work, why not used tires? Sometimes decent tires pop up on CL, sometimes at tire shops. That would let you limit expenditures until you feel a more expensive set is warranted. Sometimes you can get lucky and find mounted tires too.

I really like Yokohama tyres, they consistently out-grip anything else on tarmac. They're the only tyre that gripped so hard I heard my neck click and couldn't move my head for a few days afterward!

You need grip to move otherwise your car is just a paperweight, so it makes sense to get the best tyres you can. Or spend the money you save on a winch.

My brother put a pair of Provider Entradas on his 96 Silverado a couple months ago, but sold it shortly after. Very smooth on the highway, he was happy with them.

I have a 1987 Toyota 4Runner and for the past 30,000 miles it had Goodyear Wrangler Radials in a 235/75/15 from Wal-Mart on it. About $78/ea. I recently took them off at about 4.5 years as they were starting to get questionable in the rain. Would definitely be a great fit for what you'll be doing and they won't break the bank. Made in the USA wore well and nice and even. I could definitely recommend them as a budget mild m+s/AT tire. I'd personally pick them over anything you have listed especially for the cost. I replaced mine with Michelin tires for better rain performance and because I dont get off the pavement as much as I'd like anymore. The tread would've lasted easily another 10k but they were due because of age.

Wait for the spring Costco $70 off sale on Michelins Defender ATs. They last 80K miles. BFGs are good too, they are made by Michelin anyway but don't last as long.

Originally Posted By: supton
If its a beater, and needs lots of work, why not used tires? Sometimes decent tires pop up on CL, sometimes at tire shops. That would let you limit expenditures until you feel a more expensive set is warranted. Sometimes you can get lucky and find mounted tires too.

Just went through that on a work truck for something that doesn't leave the site, and I just didn't feel it was a decent value for what we pay for them around here. I ended up near $50/tire mounted, and one of them I was none too pleased with.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My brother put a pair of Provider Entradas on his 96 Silverado a couple months ago, but sold it shortly after. Very smooth on the highway, he was happy with them.

That seems promising.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Wait for the spring Costco $70 off sale on Michelins Defender ATs. They last 80K miles. BFGs are good too, they are made by Michelin anyway but don't last as long.

I don't think it's a good idea to wait that long on 20-year-old tires... But it's an option. Costco quoted me $640-ish for some MTXs, but will be a rebate at the end of December.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Beater tires. Probably the cheapest you can find in that size.

General Grabber from Wal-Mart if you want a good, decent tire.

Tried to get a Walmart quote, they were too busy with someone else (very drawn out, one customer, more than one employee... ugh).

Maybe I will try again.

Last edited:
A solid choice would be the Kumho Road Venture AT or APT in a 225/75/15 if the price is right for you. Better than messing with used rubber, and still reasonable. I suppose the Provider brand is made in China. Mostly in tires you get what you p[ay for.

The Yokohama Geolandar AT G015s have a snowflake / 3 mountain peak on them for winter use. I would get them. I'll be getting them for a pick up truck soon. LT sizes have a tread warranty of 50k mi.

Last edited:
Get whatever brand name tire you can get on sale or clearance. It would be beater status for me. I put cheap delinte tires on my beater and they running really good, no better or worse than a set of name brand tires

Go online for Walmart, I think they have more of selection and if purchased online, the price to mount is a bit cheaper. Just saying.

Wait for black friday and get the DTD cheapo specials.

A truck like that will absorb any weird vibrations before you feel them. I'm sure it'll look great on four pretty huge tires.
01.gif

I also wonder if you'd get tired of driving a 1983 toyota as a DD for several years without trading up, so you might not want a ton of $$$ invested.

You shouldn't have to buy tires for an old Toyota. Every Chev/GMC 1500 4x4 owner likely has a stack of 16s that will not fit over the steering link, and must use 17s or bigger. If you lived a few miles north, I would give you a set of 15s or 16s for a case or 3 of beer.

So, I did some more looking tonight. I looked at the cheapest tire, but not in person. DT wasn't terribly excited about selling them. They end up at $380 OTD.

They showed me a "for DT only" Kumho Pathfinder SAT Sport. It's a mountain/snowflake M+S tire. They also showed me a General Grabber HTS. The General has a similar tread to the Firestone. The Pathfinder is tempting because of the rating, but does cost more. I also stopped by Costco for a price on Revo's, as I've had those before.

-Grabber HTS: $465 OTD
-Pathfinder SAT: $512 OTD
-Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2: $568 OTD, then 2% cash back later

I'm kind of still leaning towards the Firestones at $506 OTD and that I've had them, but both the General and Kumho are pretty tempting--General because it's cheaper, Kumho due to the tread. Overall, any of them are probably fine.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Wait for black friday and get the DTD cheapo specials.

A truck like that will absorb any weird vibrations before you feel them. I'm sure it'll look great on four pretty huge tires.
01.gif

I also wonder if you'd get tired of driving a 1983 toyota as a DD for several years without trading up, so you might not want a ton of $$$ invested.

Thinking about waiting, I think DT's sale starts Monday. Firestone already has them priced pretty well.

We have a 2012 4Runner Limited and a 2016 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring, so we have nicer cars to drive. This is to drive to keep the wear from work off the 4Runner. The pickup is practically an heirloom now, I doubt I'll drive it daily forever but I'll probably keep it around for a while.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
You shouldn't have to buy tires for an old Toyota. Every Chev/GMC 1500 4x4 owner likely has a stack of 16s that will not fit over the steering link, and must use 17s or bigger. If you lived a few miles north, I would give you a set of 15s or 16s for a case or 3 of beer.

Not a bad idea, and cheers for that! I will look around some more.

I ran a set on my old Toyota in a 31x10.5-15 Look at that size and see if you find any good deals. It looked and drove fantastic on/off road.

As for Costco, the $70 off is available almost monthly. They rotate between Michelin and Bridgestone on that deal.

I'd lean towards the Destination LE2 since you know them already, have good reviews and are fairly well priced. It looks like the current $50 off deal ends 11/16, I wouldn't be surprised if the next promotion is a buy 3 get 1 free, which seems to happen fairly often for the Destinations. It might be a little better deal. Maybe you can stop by the FCAC store and ask them if they know.

Any chance you have pics of the truck? I love an old Toyota truck, especially the old ones with the solid front axle!

Took off Toyo and put on Destination AT - went from Flintstone to Firestone ...
Much smoother ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back