Tire Siping

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine had this recommended to them when buying tires.

This is pure conjecture however I feel this is a complete and utter hack to an engineered design of a tire. I could see it being beneficial in some specific compounds/tread in certain conditions while detrimental in most others. Who has the ability to say it works here and not there? The people performing/selling this have absolutely no background to determine this IMHO. I could see it 30+ years ago when design in a tire was limited.

Am I way off base in telling them not to get it done?

I had it done on my last set of tires. Didn't do anything except lighten my wallet; no gain what-so-ever in wet or snow performance. Now, a tire that has a good amount of deep siping built into the tread design will enhance ice/snow/wet weather performance, IMO.

It should improve traction on hard-packed snow, but will reduce performance on dry pavement. Wet pavement performance is probably a wash. Why don't they just buy winter tires?

We've hashed this out before. If you have little to no siping on a tire to begin with (ie a "mud" tire), you will see an improovement in snow and wet traction.
I did my siping with a utility knife.

Alex.

Quote:

I feel this is a complete and utter hack to an engineered design of a tire.

I'm with you on that part. Why would someone believe a dude in a tire shop knows better than the manufacturer's engineering team? The chances of doing harm is much higher than the chance of improving anything.

Quote:

I feel this is a complete and utter hack to an engineered design of a tire.

+1

If you want tires with lots of sipes, then go buy the ones that have them already straight from the factory.

Doesn't aftermarket siping void the tires' warranty?

Yeah but... If you already own a set of tires that don't have sipes (ie: any mud tire) and you find your traction is not what it should be, siping is a viable option.

Alex.

les schwab seems to be really pushing this tire siping treatment when they sell thier tires

Machine tire siping on tires can result in small tread blocks that chunk. If siping is really needed do it by hand with a utility kinife or hot knife.

The way I see it.....

The manufacturer spend millions on developing a durable grippy tire that meets their demands and some Joe Schmoe with a stupid machine want to cut your tires up guaranteeing that it will make them better. Now if it really did make them better then why on earth would not GoodYear, Michelin and any other major or minor tire manufacturer done this and why do they void your warranty.

No THANKS!!!

As an example, tire makers typically don't make mud tires with lots of siping, something that people in colder climates sometimes need. Mud tires can do well in fresh snow and in slush, but also do very badly on packed snow and on ice due to the lack of siping.

Another example is one that I faced, where for awhile there were no 17in load range E winter tires available, so I siped mine by hand for a bit more traction.

Siping is a hot ticket up here, mainly for light trucks and commerical use. I can't think of one car that has tire dealer-siped tires in the winter.

I have had several sets done personally, results have varied from reduced tread noise, increased off road traction. Siping, depending on application, can also increase tread life allowing increased cooling where a firm single block of tread will retain more heat.

My rescent siping job was done on a all terrain tire on my Jeep I've been using in the winter for floatation, a 37" Fun Country **** Cepek tire. Worked very well, on one particular hill, 30mph in 4th gear, I would spin and slide on at will being covered with snow and ice if not careful with the throttle. I can now apply throttle at will, excellent results with this particular application.

I wouldn't say we're trying to improve a tire beyond what a manufacturer has developed, but more along the lines to make a particular tire fit an application better, that may not be it's original intent. Just because a 10 ply gripper may say "M&S" on the swidewall doesn't mean it will be great in the winter. Sometimes peope can't get by with a "milder" winter tire tread, they still need bigger tread voids depening on what the truck is used for, siping may make this a viable compromise.

In commercal uses, it's rare up here for drive tires to be siped, they usually run chains when needed, but siping the steering tires make a ribbed high-milage Michelin or Bridgestone into a very confident and comfortable winter steering tire.

Big fan of siping here, it can make a great tire into an amazing tire depending on the application, but it's not for everyone.

Last edited:
The winter tires you can buy have alot of siping but it is different than the siping the machines at the tire stores do.

I siped my half worn snow tires last year as the original siping only goes down so far. I think it helped a bit, didn't make them work like new but helped get me through the winter. I used the utility knife method too, very easy with soft winter rubber.

I like to get my tires siped when they're about half worn, 6/32" to 7/32". Many of the factory sipes are worn away, and the rubber is hardened from road heat. If the tread is less than 6/32", they won't sipe them, 'cuz their smallest blade is 5/32".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back