tire sealant- any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to put a new set of skins on the bike, tubeless, and wonder if anybody has any experience or opinions on the use of tire sealant. Have been looking at "Ride-On Tire Protection System (TPS) Motorcycle Formula". Bike is used mainly for cruising/touring, usually several hundred mile days on secondary roads. Thanks and have a good one!

Not familiar with Ride-on, but the regular stuff needs enough air to cure. I ended up having to refill my tire 4 times in a 35 mile trip before the compound would set up. Hope this MC specific stuff is better.

When ya get a screw or nail in your tire with a tubles rim set up, its generally a very slow leak, more than enough time to get to somewhere to fix it, and I agree the slime type stuff is more a mess than anything else. If it not a very slow leak, slime wouldnt work anyway, it would just blow out the hole.

best thing is to buy youself a small compressor and carry on the bike and if you have to fix a tire on the road.

Get a stopNgo tire plugger kit, this is not just a hand inserted plug, it actually requires a compression tool to insert the plug.
they are about 31 dollars and I luv it alot.

although the repair is named temporary, I've ran these repairs well over 100 mph, this kit will get ya full life out of you tire, no MC shop is going to repair a tire nowadays.

Nothing like buying a 200 dollar tire and have a screw in it 500 miles later, and then having to buy another tire.

they offer 2 types ,a manual compression toll or a gun type, the gun type sometimes doesnt insert as well as the manual tool and ya have to run the plug through the gun a time or 2 to stretch it. I can vaulch for the manual compression tool type, works great.

also carry stick ropes incase ya get a cut and not a hole

Last edited:
I now stay away from sealants. My experience is that they affect balance, in a very negative way. I suggest a plug kit and a bicycle pump.

Chris

I've run "slime" in my dual sport (tubed) tires and it eventually clogs the valve stem. same with my bicycle tires. I've decided to not use it any more after that aggravation. I did not have any flats during that time though.

i have also had slime foul a valve stem. kind of ruined that race.

i now use the white tire sealant from tractor supply.
i also use tubes.
i would think in a tubeless setup it would be messy as he77.

I think I replied to your question over at the Tire forum, but in short, I used RideOn for about 30K miles on my Triumph and it worked very well. It sealed a puncture on my rear tire quite nicely for 2K miles and had no negatives. No fouled valve stems, no big mess to clean up when changing tires, no balance problems, and it saved me the hassle of having to get a plug-and-patch job done on the tire.

Also replied up in the tire forum : Thanks Blake, there seems to be a good report from those who've used it. I've only dealt with flats off road, and have what I need to fix one while on the road, but I'd rather deal with it at a time and place of my choice. If this can save me from working during a dark downpour I'll be satisfied. Gonna put new tires on shortly with it in and will report back when I take them off, probably next fall or winter. have a good one.

Tire sealants are a PIA. I only use them in an emergency due to all the mess to clean later. I will use them in the kids bike tires but some will throw the balance off on a motorcycle application. My truck has the air pressure sensors so you will really pay if you goo them up. I use a cheap tire plug kit to get me a few miles to a repair shop. I just had this happen traveling with my family to Key West. Ran over an allen wrench on the 7 mile bridge (of all places) pulled off the road and plugged the tire by hand and it got me all the way to the Sears Automotive Center in Key West to get the tire plugged correctly.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
They make a mess of your rims when you have to take the tire off.

Before I remove a tire with the liquid sealant in it, I drill a hole in the tire & let it drain out. It works for me
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back