Tire rotation

So why did you start a thread and ask here then?
Because I never owned a AWD vehicle before....In the past they were either rear wheel or front wheel drive. Did not know if a AWD needs a specific type of rotation...

Because I never owned a AWD vehicle before....In the past they were either rear wheel or front wheel drive. Did not know if a AWD needs a specific type of rotation...

First of all, not all AWD systems are the same so tire rotation pattern may differ from one to another. 1) Look in you owner's manual. 2) Determine if your tires are directional, asymmetrical or both to determine which pattern is the correct one. Same side font and back rotation is the "safest" pattern because it negates the need for point #2 from above, but it may not be optimal for your tires longevity.

First of all, not all AWD systems are the same so tire rotation pattern may differ from one to another. 1) Look in you owner's manual. 2) Determine if your tires are directional, asymmetrical or both to determine which pattern is the correct one. Same side font and back rotation is the "safest" pattern because it negates the need for point #2 from above, but it may not be optimal for your tires longevity.
They are not directional tires...

Only now do we have an AWD in the stable. I'll look in the CX-5's manual for sure.
All my life it's been either RWD and FWD vehicles, as you'd guess.

I "jack the back" and switch 'em L to R.
Then I jack a side and "front to rear 'em".
Repeat on the other side.

Even Steven tire wear with no blowouts for longer than I care to remember.

They are not directional tires...
Then what does the owner's manual say is the correct rotational pattern? Other's have asked you this same question but you don't seem to want to answer it.

Here is a different view on tire rotation. In the last 20 years or so I have had at least four occasions where I asked for a rotation and it was not done. It started with me knowing that I had a rash on a particular wheel and I knew the location of that wheel. When the car is ready, I notice that the wheel is in the same position. Hmmm..... I noticed the same thing with other cars of mine. Of course I did receive actual rotations on some occasions. But I started marking the wheels. I would hide a tiny piece of masking tape on two wheels (both front or both back). Just a few weeks ago my Kia dealer failed to rotate my tires when I had requested it be done. I went back in and got my $20 back and went to the place where I bought the tires and got them rotated for free. The wheels were still marked so I know that they were actually rotated. (I had been at the Kia dealer for a state inspection, that's the only reason I wanted them to rotate the tires. I was already there.)

As I said, this has happened to me a few times now. I think it happens because the tech knows that 95% of the folks won't know that the rotation wasn't done and they can get paid for the quarter hour (or whatever) and not have to do the work.

So take this as maybe a warning that your tires may not always be rotated as you expected them to be, regardless of pattern.

One more thing: these failures to rotate were not all at the same business. Different tire places or dealers where I used to live and where I live now.
Just last week I went thru a drive thru touch free car wash less than 2 miles from home. I felt a rough bang when the wash started. By the time I backed my car in garage at house my TPMS monitor light was on. The car wash had somehow cut the sidewall on one of my new tires. I have less than 1000 mi on them so Walmart gave me a brand new one at no cost or adjustment. Even though I was FIRST in line it only took me from 0800am until 1100am for a simple tire replacement and balance. I don't think the Tech could have moved slower if he were dead! That stuff is why I always purchase a new set with the "road hazard coverage" + "lifetime balance & rotation. Last several years I been using Goodyear tires. Goodyear happens to be the best quality / priced tires they offer in stock. Used to go with Michelin always, but went for something a little less costly once we stopped travelling and started putting less than 10,000mi a year on our vehicles. The BAD part is I use Wal Marts for convivence because they are all over the place. I say BAD part because they actually have the worse folks I have seen doing auto work. In my area they have trouble hiring and keeping employees or even getting them to show up to work some days according to the Service Managers I talk to. You can be sure I watch their every move when they are touching my cars. Tires are in fact the only thing I let them do. Just like the above story I have caught them trying NOT to do the work I asked for. Even caught one so called Tech who has since been fired trying to keep my lug locks key, my matching Honda stem caps. Even spotted evidence he went rifling thru my glove box and console. I always mark my rims with Sharpie dots so I can tell if they rotated as I asked and walk around to inspect the car when they turn it over before I accept it. Pisses them off to no end. LOL. The idiots have a check sheet they are to use. Many times they check off or write in your entry & exit tire pressures and I check when I get home and lots of times there are 4 different pressures so they lied and probably only aired and checked the one they repaired. Its sad. The last time I said "ok, tired of putting up with Walmart , I will call and schedule with dealership" 25 mi from home to balance and do rotation so I can get in and out early. That did not work either. They had my car (scheduled for 0700am) almost ALL DAY for a simple job that was scheduled in advance. UGH. Some of this is why I used to rotate myself in my garage for years. Did not have means to balance though.

Just last week I went thru a drive thru touch free car wash less than 2 miles from home. I felt a rough bang when the wash started. By the time I backed my car in garage at house my TPMS monitor light was on. The car wash had somehow cut the sidewall on one of my new tires. I have less than 1000 mi on them so Walmart gave me a brand new one at no cost or adjustment. Even though I was FIRST in line it only took me from 0800am until 1100am for a simple tire replacement and balance. I don't think the Tech could have moved slower if he were dead! That stuff is why I always purchase a new set with the "road hazard coverage" + "lifetime balance & rotation. Last several years I been using Goodyear tires. Goodyear happens to be the best quality / priced tires they offer in stock. Used to go with Michelin always, but went for something a little less costly once we stopped travelling and started putting less than 10,000mi a year on our vehicles. The BAD part is I use Wal Marts for convivence because they are all over the place. I say BAD part because they actually have the worse folks I have seen doing auto work. In my area they have trouble hiring and keeping employees or even getting them to show up to work some days according to the Service Managers I talk to. You can be sure I watch their every move when they are touching my cars. Tires are in fact the only thing I let them do. Just like the above story I have caught them trying NOT to do the work I asked for. Even caught one so called Tech who has since been fired trying to keep my lug locks key, my matching Honda stem caps. Even spotted evidence he went rifling thru my glove box and console. I always mark my rims with Sharpie dots so I can tell if they rotated as I asked and walk around to inspect the car when they turn it over before I accept it. Pisses them off to no end. LOL. The idiots have a check sheet they are to use. Many times they check off or write in your entry & exit tire pressures and I check when I get home and lots of times there are 4 different pressures so they lied and probably only aired and checked the one they repaired. Its sad. The last time I said "ok, tired of putting up with Walmart , I will call and schedule with dealership" 25 mi from home to balance and do rotation so I can get in and out early. That did not work either. They had my car (scheduled for 0700am) almost ALL DAY for a simple job that was scheduled in advance. UGH. Some of this is why I used to rotate myself in my garage for years. Did not have means to balance though.
Okay.

The owners manual shows a front cross method....20 years ago rear wheel drive showed a cross method too. I really dont know what the owners books has to do with the question. If you say what does the book say...then do you follow it for oil changes??? I bet more that 80 percent on this site DO NOT...They change the oil much much sooner...Do people on this site follow the book for transmission fluid change...I bet a lot change it much sooner...So what I am saying I know what the book says..I am one that actually reads it. My book for my first car a 1968 Dodge Charger showed a cross method back then and all of my cars after that....I have been doing same side for many many years.. I have never had an issue with tire wear. I never owned a AWD before and was not sure if I continue to do it on this Honda HRV with AWD would cause any type of problem with tire wear...that is all...So that is my answer to that

The owners manual shows a front cross method....20 years ago rear wheel drive showed a cross method too. I really dont know what the owners books has to do with the question. If you say what does the book say...then do you follow it for oil changes??? I bet more that 80 percent on this site DO NOT...They change the oil much much sooner...Do people on this site follow the book for transmission fluid change...I bet a lot change it much sooner...So what I am saying I know what the book says..I am one that actually reads it. My book for my first car a 1968 Dodge Charger showed a cross method back then and all of my cars after that....I have been doing same side for many many years.. I have never had an issue with tire wear. I never owned a AWD before and was not sure if I continue to do it on this Honda HRV with AWD would cause any type of problem with tire wear...that is all...So that is my answer to that
So you’re saying that the manufacturer of the vehicle has no clue as to proper maintenance procedures, but you who never owned this type of vehicle is more qualified to make that determination?

At least that’s what your post says.

So you’re saying that the manufacturer of the vehicle has no clue as to proper maintenance procedures, but you who never owned this type of vehicle is more qualified to make that determination?

At least that’s what your post says.Do you follow the owners manual to the letter? Everything they say to do and when? Just curious

Honestly if you “don’t know what the owners book has to do with the question” then we’re kind of done here. Trying to deflect by putting it on me isn’t going help your cause much.

Reminds me of the posts that start off “I just bought a new Porsche and I have no idea what kind of oil to use.”

Last edited:
Honestly if you “don’t know what the owners book has to do with the question” then we’re kind of done here. Trying to deflect by putting it on me isn’t going yo help your cause much.
Lets see do you comment on the oil section about people that change there oil way sooner than the book says or use a different filter or put in additives??? and comment what does the owners manual say???? Let me know those posts so I can read them...and yes I am done too...

Lets see do you comment on the oil section about people that change there oil way sooner than the book says or use a different filter or put in additives??? and comment what does the owners manual say???? Let me know those posts so I can read them...and yes I am done too...
You're continuing to conflate procedures with intervals. If someone decides they wish to change the oil more often than listed, that doesn't mean they are using an oil and filter that is inappropriate for their vehicle. I'd absolutely follow the rotation method shown in the manual but I may decide to do it more frequently than they list. You're talking apples and oranges here.

And I was quoting you about the owner's book.

And no, I do not use additives. I am aware of no deficiencies in the oil I am using that would be corrected by some additive. As you're implying all my owner's manuals state to not use any additive to the oil and I understand why they say that. Anything added to the oil negates any approval or license the oil may have had. Why would I do that?

You're continuing to conflate procedures with intervals. If someone decides they wish to change the oil more often than listed, that doesn't mean they are using an oil and filter that is inappropriate for their vehicle. I'd absolutely follow the rotation method shown in the manual but I may decide to do it more frequently than they list. You're talking apples and oranges here.

And I was quoting you about the owner's book.

And no, I do not use additives. I am aware of no deficiencies in the oil I am using that would be corrected by some additive. As you're implying all my owner's manuals state to not use any additive to the oil and I understand why they say that. Anything added to the oil negates any approval or license the oil may have had. Why would I do that?
O brother..............

When in “DOUBT”, follow what the manual says. Because if the manual is wrong then the responsibility falls on the manufacture, and not on you. People follows their own oil schedule or oil preference have made up their mind on which schedule to follow long ago. In your situation, you question the legitimacy of what is in the manual and is unsure what to do, which is why you created this thread. Without getting off topic and I repeat, there are more than one type of “AWD” systems out on the market and that can dictate which is the more “appropriate“ pattern to follow to “optimize“ thread life. For example, my Audi S4 and S5, Subaru STI and Toyota Sienna all have different pattern because while they are all “AWD”, they are 3 different AWD systems. This is why it is important to follow what the owner’s manual says when in doubt.

Driving my own vehicles and rotating my own since 1985. Always rear to front and front crossed to rear*, whether FWD, AWD or RWD. Always even wear, always quiet and always got good usage out of them.

Like oil changes, we all prefer a different style and the important thing is to do SOME sort of rotation on a regular basis.

*Most vehicles I rotated 5 tires. Spare to RR and LF to spare.

You make a good point. The owner's manual was written with, hopefully, tire tech for that time. Tires have, again - hopefully (and I have my doubts with certain tires), improved since then and may not require the same rotation patterns.

I'm thinking a cross rotation may be necessary when a tire is having a lot of acceleration force applied to it and the lugs start to wear in a sort of slanted way which would be rare. Then again, I wonder if the drive tires are affected by the constant twisting pressure in the same direction if they're not cross rotated. And if they are affected, is it best to keep them in the same pattern or reverse it? I'm going to bet we're not going to get the answers to these questions off this board. 😁

Back