Tire Rack road-hazard claim - anyone use it?

I picked up a metal pin about 5/16 in diameter in one of my tires today. Location is on the outside tread block, but way too close to the shoulder for me to feel comfortable plugging it.

When I bought these tires, I got three at Discount Tire Direct (they only had three in stock at the time) and one at Tire Rack. Guess it's my lucky day, the one that was punctured is the one I bought from Tire Rack that came with their free road hazard coverage. I can tell because it has a different DOT date code than the other three, which are matching.

Anyone ever use their claim service and what was your experience?

IME they prorate the tire based on age and wear depth. Expect to get hosed. And if they are worn to any real depth, you'd be wise to replace as a pair. Good luck.

(Not singling out ANY specific company here, it's just that these warranties are written to significantly benefit them from having to pay up much)

Had them replace a tire that was damaged in shipping once. Very simple process. Didn't even ask for pictures or anything, just shipped me another tire.

My roommate has 4 separate times (from the same set) for his Michelins for road hazard. In either case he said it was as straightforward as can be; you just register online and file a claim here.

I *think* I did when I got one of my General Altimax winter tires purchased from TR punctured and 3 patch/plugs that NTB installed still leaked, they said they were just going to contact TR to replace it. I have no idea how they found out that the tires were purchased from TR since discount tires installed the tires on the wheels.

IME they prorate the tire based on age and wear depth. Expect to get hosed. And if they are worn to any real depth, you'd be wise to replace as a pair. Good luck.

(Not singling out ANY specific company here, it's just that these warranties are written to significantly benefit them from having to pay up much)
Coverage is not prorated. It covers repair or replacement of the tire up to the original purchase price. Obviously it has to be within the 2 year coverage period, and they won't cover it if the tread depth is < 2/32.

Anyone have any actual experience with the claims process?

I picked up a metal pin about 5/16 in diameter in one of my tires today. Location is on the outside tread block, but way too close to the shoulder for me to feel comfortable plugging it.

When I bought these tires, I got three at Discount Tire Direct (they only had three in stock at the time) and one at Tire Rack. Guess it's my lucky day, the one that was punctured is the one I bought from Tire Rack that came with their free road hazard coverage. I can tell because it has a different DOT date code than the other three, which are matching.

Read the fine print. Tire rack's free road hazard deal only covers puncture repairs up to something like $40. It does not cover replacing a tire if your current tire is not repairable.

Let us know how it goes.

If the tire was purchased after 10/2020, replacement tires are covered.

And there's the rub. It's only for 2 years, and other stipulations. This is arguably more restrictive than the tread-wear test, given that it's only good for about 20-40% of the life of a normal passenger vehicle tire if you figure most people use them 6-10 years, ~5-10k miles annually.

OP did not say how old they are and I hope he's within 2 years.

And there's the rub. It's only for 2 years, and other stipulations. This is arguably more restrictive than the tread-wear test, given that it's only good for about 20-40% of the life of a normal passenger vehicle tire if you figure most people use them 6-10 years, ~5-10k miles annually.

Pretty sure average mileage is in the 10-15K/yr range.

90% of my customers are buying tires every 3-5 years.

Yes, I have used their coverage several years back, for a set of tires I bought for my Cayman.
One day driving to work, a 2x4 flew off the back of a truck, and landed on the road in front of my tire, and I ran it over at highway speed (around 70 mph). By the time I got to the office, a small bubble had developed in the sidewall of the right front tire.
When I went to lunch later that afternoon, the bubble had grown quite large.

When I got home, I looked up the process on Tire Racks website, took the couple of pictures that I needed to, submitted them, and received a reply from Tire Rack in a matter of hours that the warranty claim has been approved for a replacement tire up to the amount that I had originally paid for the tire (price went up slightly in the few months that I had originally bought the tire).

I had to then go to Tire Rack, place a new order for a same model tire, pay for it, and then submit the order id to the warranty process, and then they refunded the purchase price up to the amount that I had originally paid.

The other front tire eventually developed a small bubble several months later.
And another year down the line, the replacement tire also developed a bubble all on its own.

I have yet to bother submitting those for warranty, because I'm just going to switch to a tire that doesn't develop bubbles every time I get in the car.

None of the rear tires (same model - 2 pair used) ever developed bubbles, however.

BC.

If the tire was purchased after 10/2020, replacement tires are covered.
The limitations described in the fine print for tires pre-10/2020 are just that, limitations, not coverage. They will only reimburse up to $25 for repairs and there is no roadside coverage.

I bought these tires in 11/19 and replacement is definitely covered, it’s in the paperwork I had printed off at the time, and the system allowed it as a choice when I filed my claim.

I have used it.

It took a while to get paid. But other than that it went fine.

Take a picture of the damage before the tire is disposed of.

To be fair, tires have higher puncture and impact resistance when the trend is thick and new, so the cost to cover them is not much. Also by the time you wear down after a few years, if one needs a replacement then you would likely need to replace them as a set anyways, so a "warranty" is really of no use if it cost too much.

Nothing is free, you either are not aware that you already paid for it or it is not worth much to begin with anyways.

Back