Tire kickers everywhere

This is like when you list a car for $750 "needs tires and a battery."

Then someone shows up and says "Will you take $300? It needs tires and a battery."

You should have taken him out back for a tour of your woodshed.

Last edited:
When we were renting our home, we did extensive review of potential tenants prior to a showing. No reason wasting either parties' time.

Zillow has a decent feature where a tenant can fill out an application and send it to all landlords they wish to contact. It helps all involved.

We currently rent and have rented quite a few homes over the past 25 years, along with owning homes. I have no issue deciding what price I want to pay/ what we think the price should be for monthly rent, regardless of what the landlord monthly rent is listed as. As part our application process, we provide biographies on my Wife and me, bank statements, three bureau credit scores and reports, lists of all prior homes we rented and the contact information of the owner, tax statements, and pay stubs for the past XX years. We highlight the fact we are non-smokers, no pets, in our late 50's, I have had the same employer for over 25 years, etc.

We also do not apply for rental properties. We exclusively look for a home for rent. There is a huge difference. We think of ourselves as caretakers that pay rent. Not tenants.

I used to sell cars at a used car dealer and dealt with tire kickers day in day out. I put my house up for rent last week and I today I understand why there people would rather sell than deal with it.

I scheduled a 12pm viewing for all interested parties. The address isn’t public I only send it once people reach out and say they are interested. This random guy rushes in at 12:30 before I’m about to close up, and instantly starts aggressively complaining about the paint being scratched, the floors being worn, the floor trim being loose. I asked where the damage was because everything was redone a year ago…and he couldn’t tell me. Then he starts going off about how by law I’m supposed to repaint homes between tenancy. I’ve never heard of such law so I politely asked him what the law is under - as I was genuinely curious. He said he doesn’t deal with the law and started going off about how I’m an amateur and should be shut down. He keeps walking around pointing stuff out while I’m just standing shocked wondering who this guy thinks he is to come into my house and talk like that.

About a minute later I had enough of his rambling and told him if he didn’t like it, he can get the F out of my house as I have plenty of prospective, respectful applicants. He decides to stay and starts arguing saying he’s surprised that’s how I talk to my tenants, that he’s a realtor and had lots of interested parties(I.e he was never looking for a place to live) , how he’s there trying to help me etc. I told him I never solicited his help so he can leave if he doesn’t like it. He walks out only to start calling me names and I reminded him he’s the one coming into my house talking s***. He then threatens me by saying I’ll be getting a call from the “housing authority”.

All of this and he doesn’t know who I am and what my contact info is lol. The people that roam this world. Makes you wonder why things are the way they are these days.

Anybody else deal with non-sense like this before?
Yeah, I used a realtor to avoid just this. I chose who to use. I worked with them at their office to set things up. They seriously vetted applicants and found me a good tenant who has been in the house almost 9 years now, paid every month, accepted sensible rent increases when appropriate, and does small things like pressure wash the driveway when the HOA nazis complain. Yeah, cost me one month's rent and has paid off exponentially. May sell it to him as I'm fed up with the nazis and the rest of it and old enough now I can live off the proceeds rather than the rent.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used a realtor to avoid just this. I chose who to use. I worked with them at their office to set things up. They seriously vetted applicants and found me a good tenant who has been in the house almost 9 years now, paid every month, accepted sensible rent increases when appropriate, and does small things like pressure wash the driveway when the HOA nazis complain. Yeah, cost me one month's rent and has paid off exponentially. May sell it to him as I'm fed up with the nazis and the rest of it and old enough now I can live off the proceeds rather than the rent.
Even better here, tenants pay the fee so it doesn't cost the landlord anything. With the tenant paying the fee, it weeds out people too cheap to pay the fee. That probably eliminates a lot of the complainers. I don't bother with anyone who wants to negotiate the fee.

I used a realtor once. I understand it really is a case by case basis but he got me one of the worst nightmare tenants I’ve ever had, so I’m weary of paying someone to do the vetting for me.

Tenant was there for 6 months then decided he want to buy the house. He started making up stuff saying the realtor told him the house was for sale. I explained to him that I never mentioned anything about selling, but if he was willing to pay fair market value I wouldn’t be opposed to it. He continued to low ball 40k under. And when I rejected he started getting nasty by threatening legal action. Decided to induce moisture in a closet and cause mold, damage the house in other ways so he could black mail me into selling. And selling cheap. Constant calls and letters from him demanding a sale. Finally got rid of him. Sold the house because it was damaged beyond reasonable costs of repair.

When we were renting our home, we did extensive review of potential tenants prior to a showing. No reason wasting either parties' time.

Zillow has a decent feature where a tenant can fill out an application and send it to all landlords they wish to contact. It helps all involved.

We currently rent and have rented quite a few homes over the past 25 years, along with owning homes. I have no issue deciding what price I want to pay/ what we think the price should be for monthly rent, regardless of what the landlord monthly rent is listed as. As part our application process, we provide biographies on my Wife and me, bank statements, three bureau credit scores and reports, lists of all prior homes we rented and the contact information of the owner, tax statements, and pay stubs for the past XX years. We highlight the fact we are non-smokers, no pets, in our late 50's, I have had the same employer for over 25 years, etc.

We also do not apply for rental properties. We exclusively look for a home for rent. There is a huge difference. We think of ourselves as caretakers that pay rent. Not tenants.

That sounds like a dream. It’s hard to find a tenant that will take care of property they don’t own. Not everybody is level headed like you unfortunately. My parents rented out their vacation house a few years ago. It was new construction. 5 years later, the house is shot. $6500 cabinet set destroyed because they didn’t like white cabinets and painted them black. Every single door in the house was damaged. Window screens cut. Mold/mildew growth. And a bunch of other stuff I can’t remember.

I own a car dealership.

75% of the people are perfectly fine.
15% are self-adulating marones who think that they can be abusive to complete strangers.

The other 10% are the reason why God created catapults. Just thought I'd tell you about an experience. With the local Hyundai. Dealer in Mankato, MN. They advertise that they buy vehicles. So I took my 2019 Kia Soul. To Mankato. to several dealers. To sell it Since they all offered the same amount. $16,250 I decided to deal with. the Hyundai dealer. They checked three times on the buyout price. With. Kia finance? And came back and told me what the check would be that I would get. Since it was on a Friday. And one of the Persons that had to sign the check was gone for the day. They would not be able to send the check out till the next Monday. And I would probably receive it on Wednesday of the next week. Wednesday came and went, and the check was not in the mail. I called on Thursday. And they said they had not mailed the check until Tuesday. And the check was not for the amount they had told me. That it was for $1500 less. That I had given them the wrong. Pay off amount. From Kia, I quickly corrected them and told them they were the ones that got the payoff amount. And that I would not accept the check. I was informed that I would either accept the check or come up and get the car in the title. I said, I had it in black and white. What the amount was? And that I could take them to court. They said, go ahead and try it. Since this was all dealing with a divorce. And I had to line up my ex wife to go. To all this again. I just decided to take the check and the money. And be done with it. So while you have trouble with people, I can have some not so good things to say about dealers. I've been told I can take this to small claims court and nail them. And I might just do that. I still have all the paperwork. That shows everything that they wrote down. It just shows how shady some of these car dealerships are. And how they want to rip people off. And how you can't even go buy something that's down on paper. I feel it was legal and binding contract. And I probably should sue them. But I really can't afford an attorney. And I think they probably realize that when they know that I had to sell the car,'cause I needed money. It's really sad what this world is coming to. my advice to people that live in southern Minnesota. If you read this. Don't do business with Hyundai. Or Kia, Mankato. In Mankato, MN. Their big rip off outfits.

Last edited:
Back