Tire inflator recommendations

Does anyone have a 12V tire inflator recommendation? I plan to get one soon. Nothing fancy, just the one that will do the job without much hassle.

I am an apartment dweller, I can't have a compressor or directly powered inflator.
I would recommend (as others have said), get a Ryobi or DeWalt.
You will pay more, but it looks like you want it for more than the occasional 'low' tire.
Their reputable companies and make well designed products.

With Winter coming, you will be putting air in ALL your tires.
I recommend checking the air pressure with every 10 degree drop in temperature.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.

I would actually love to get Ryobi or DeWalt because I have tools from both of them. So the battery is not a concern. I am going to keep an eye on their prices.

Edit: Ryobi tool is $20 only (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...-with-Digital-Gauge-Tool-Only-P737D/307627867) The price on amazon is outrageous.

I too came down to those two units when I was shopping for a new cordless unit. If you haven't seen this one on YoutTube already, this video pretty much sums up the difference between the DeWalt unit and the Ryobi.

Disclaimer: This is just my own personal opinion on this topic. No need to get too excited like the folks over at the oil forum.

Does anyone know of one that will run on both 12v and 120v?????

Can't speak for others but I think the DeWalt unit does. But like the battery, you will need to purchase the 120v adaptor as an accessory as it is not included in the original package. Hope this helps.

Reactions: hrv
Can't speak for others but I think the DeWalt unit does. But like the battery, you will need to purchase the 120v adaptor as an accessory as it is not included in the original package. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your help. That is just what I want... Just ordered it...

It would kinda suck needing to wait for the battery to charge on the side of the road before one can use it.

+1 on this one. I love it.

For a 12V one you are limited as to what the inflator can pull from the cigarette lighter in amps.
While true, Ryobi makes nothing (except "maybe" their cordless air compressor w/tank) that has as large a motor and inflation rate as the models just below the limit for lighter outlet power. I've been patiently waiting for them to make something bigger for inflation but they keep going fancier instead. They probably figure the runtime would be too short but if it runs half as long but inflates twice as fast, that's exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:
It would kinda suck needing to wait for the battery to charge on the side of the road before one can use it.
Why would you lug around a battery powered inflator and battery but not already have the battery charged? They don't self discharge that fast if using a Li-Ion battery pack, would only need topped off after use or 1-2 times a year otherwise.

Even so, the Viair 88P would be my first choice for an apartment dweller, or 85P if it needs to be lighter outlet powered rather than direct battery clamp connection, if only needed for vehicles with their own battery opposed to bicycle use too.

Direct battery connection can be a virtue for riding mowers and other off-road vehicles that don't have a lighter outlet, but are less common among apartment dwellers or at least less commonly kept at the apartment.

Why would you lug around a battery powered inflator and battery but not already have the battery charged? They don't self discharge that fast if using a Li-Ion battery pack, would only need topped off after use or 1-2 times a year otherwise.

Even so, the Viair 88P would be my first choice for an apartment dweller, or 85P if it needs to be lighter outlet powered rather than direct battery clamp connection, if only needed for vehicles with their own battery opposed to bicycle use too.

Direct battery connection can be a virtue for riding mowers and other off-road vehicles that don't have a lighter outlet, but are less common among apartment dwellers or at least less commonly kept at the apartment.
If you stash something, even fully charged, in the trunk of your car, out of sight, out of mind. And if you have bad luck, the moment you actually need it, the battery is out of juice.

For bicycles, do they have the presta fitting? Not all bicycles use schrader valves, and i can never get those presta-to-schrader adapters to work properly.

^ I have all kinds of things that I need to check on a schedule so write them on a calendar.

My current use bicycle, came with presta valves and the adapter I have (basic little brass type) works fine, though my portable (bicycle mount) hand pump can do both, and eventually due to tube age I opted to just drill out the rims and switch over to new schrader tubes.

Does anyone know of one that will run on both 12v and 120v?????
No, and as much as a power converter costs, you'd be about as well off just buying two inflators, one for each voltage. In that case, if you have access to 120V for your home use, you could skimp a bit on the quality of the 12V and only use it for roadside then it won't have to last nearly as many running hours, unless roadside means more frequently reinflating your off-road tires after off-roading sessions, then I'd spend more on that 12V inflator as bigger tires take more air, x4 of them.

No, and as much as a power converter costs, you'd be about as well off just buying two inflators, one for each voltage. In that case, if you have access to 120V for your home use, you could skimp a bit on the quality of the 12V and only use it for roadside then it won't have to last nearly as many running hours, unless roadside means more frequently reinflating your off-road tires after off-roading sessions, then I'd spend more on that 12V inflator as bigger tires take more air, x4 of them.
I have found one thanks to another post by Dewalt..

I have found one thanks to another post by Dewalt..
Sort of, but if it's a 20V inflator it's going to be that much slower from 12V and it's not really 120V any more than you could tether any 120VAC to 12VDC adapter to any other inflator (it's still a motor set up to run off 18V/20V for peak performance), which is adding about as much cost as a separate 120V inflator does.

I could see doing this if the power adapter is useful for powering more Dewalt tools than just the inflator, but frankly for home 120VAC use I'd as soon get a proper little air compressor and you'd be able to do more things with it, if the budget stretches to more than just the basic slow speed inflators that portables are.

Ive been happy with my DeWalt cordless, which I think can have a 120v cord added to it…

Viaairs have held up the best here.

I do have one “generic“ from autozone which has been just as good… a direct drive unit (as opposed to geared) which I paid $59 for.

Back