Tire Dressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
mm yummmmm
20.gif

haha just kidding.
i want to know what products are good.

I don't like the shiny wet look.In my shop I used to use tyre paint...gives a much more subtle clean new tyre look.And you can paint over mud too.

The trick for any tire product to look good and last is to clean the tire very well. I generally use Meguiar's. I picked up a can of the cheapest tire shine product I could find at the time, Armor All, a while back as I was using it in the wheel wells. I applied it to a clean tire and it did the same thing as the Meguiar's product and gave the same look. Just like the great wax debate about which one is the best, prep work (all that work before you apply the microscopic layer of wax that seals it all in) is 99% of the end result.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I don't like the shiny wet look.

For those that don't like the shiny wet look you can do what I sometimes do. I will apply the tire dressing before I wash the car, waiting about 20 minutes or so for it to fully soak in and then when I wash the car I spray the tires up close with high pressure water from the hose to remove the excess dressing. When I'm done washing the car the tires end up looking clean but they don't end up with that super glossy look.

I use Eagle One A2Z (or whatever it is called now) for cleaning only a couple of times per year.

For dressing I actually switched back to ArmorAll after reading the "Guru Reports" on tire dressing a number of years ago. After "original" ArmorAll went to their new formula (yes, "new, original armorall") it isn't the same pile of [censored] it used to be. The key I've found is that it needs to be applied with a sponge and rubbed in to any blackwall features. I couldn't believe I was actually using ArmorAll.

The key things that Guru Reports pointed out about "new" ArmorAll were:

- "perfect" shine level (not glossy, not dull)
- does not attract dirt
- does not sling off onto the body
- does not build up into black fudge
- does not go brown
- does not dry, damage or age the tires it's applied to

I agree on all points, in my experience. Shockingly, it's the tire dressing I've been most happy with. I'm not even looking for alternatives at this point since I have nothing that I'd improve on. Every other dressing I've used has had a least one of the above factors be a problem in a big way.

Meguiar's #40 and 303 are my faves for interior detailing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I use Eagle One A2Z (or whatever it is called now) for cleaning only a couple of times per year.

The key things that Guru Reports pointed out about "new" ArmorAll were:

- "perfect" shine level (not glossy, not dull)
- does not attract dirt
- does not sling off onto the body
- does not build up into black fudge
- does not go brown
- does not dry, damage or age the tires it's applied to

Most tire shines are water based these days including Armor All. The description applies to many tire shines.

The Guru reports are pretty dated. Formulations have changed and there are a zillion more tire shines these days.

Last edited:
Depends what you want. Either way, Eagle 1 tire swipes are essential.

The solvent/oil based products will tend to be the highest shine. Water emulsion products can be all over the place. The more substantive products tend to be more glossy but can sling if not fully absorbed.

Products intended to be used inside the car tend to give the most natural/conditioned look, but generally aren't all that durable.

You get the best results if the tires are clean to begin with, and the wheel itself nice and clean as well. Gives a nice visual contrast to the tires.

Overall, I like NuVinyl, and before I started boycotting SOPUS, I liked Black Magic Titanium Matte Finish, because it made tires look like new.

+1

I use the Black Magic Titanium Matte finish as well, works great and not too much 'bling'.

303 on the interior dash and plastics.

Mothers FX tire shine.

1 coat gives a deep black low gloss. 2nd coat gives the dark black wet shine. The stuff does not fling off either.

Notice my bottle in the reflection. This is my wifes car after i detailed it.

G35X-Bestpic-2.jpg

G35X-Bestpic.jpg

I apply and then dry the tire shine. Gives it a less wet look and happens to stay on there longer.

My biggest pet peeve is spray bottles. It gets onto my rims sometimes. For wheel's Eagle 1 is tops, even on Alloy wheels I could get a mirror reflection out of them.

For tire dressing, I like the sponge applicator types like Meguire's. Makes less of a mess.

I prefer the "non-glossy" look. I like the BM Titanium Matte finish (already mentioned), and No Touch Original provides a Satin finish. I always wipe it dry -- to make it more towards the matte side. Stoners More Shine isn't too bad with just 1 coat. I will try DG 253 next. Many compare it to Zaino. I'd also like to try Surf City, but it's $14/bottle.

I just use a scrub brush and clean the tires. Been doing this for almost a year or so and it looks good.

Originally Posted By: dgee
mm yummmmm
20.gif

haha just kidding.
i want to know what products are good.

The very best stuff I've ever used is Stoner's Less Time More Shine. Excellent product. Easy to use, lasts a long time! It's also not silicone based so it won't make your sidewalls crack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies
I apply and then dry the tire shine. Gives it a less wet look and happens to stay on there longer.

My biggest pet peeve is spray bottles. It gets onto my rims sometimes. For wheel's Eagle 1 is tops, even on Alloy wheels I could get a mirror reflection out of them.

For tire dressing, I like the sponge applicator types like Meguire's. Makes less of a mess.

To prevent overspary on your rims make a "mask" from cardboard or similar. I made one for 15" wheels from foam-core art board and makes clean up much easier.

Originally Posted By: MKZman

Most tire shines are water based these days including Armor All. The description applies to many tire shines.

The Guru reports are pretty dated. Formulations have changed and there are a zillion more tire shines these days.

You're absolutely right that they are dated. That was the timeframe where I switched from all of the other things I've tried based on their observations. With the ease of obtaining ArmorAll, its low price and performance - I've not felt like looking at anything else.

I provided all of that backup information to give some backup to why I switched, and to try to shut down the anti-AmrmorAll crowd (which I've been a part of in the past) because things did change.

I made my selection based on a lot more than some ArmorAll TV commercial.

From Mike Phillips/Meguiar's about silicones:
Quote:

In this thread posted in our Interior Care Forum, The good and the bad types of silicone, one of our forum members posted a reply including information on silicones that our R&D department concluded was filled with misinformation and inaccuracies.

Below we have included some information that counters what the forum member posted to demonstrate that you can't always believe what you read on the Internet. Often times people on the Internet merely copy and paste information found on other websites by doing a simple google search. Often times this information is out of context as well as inaccurate and unreliable.

Meguiar's Statement on silicones as it relates to the post on our forum in the above included link.
Silicones, or polysiloxanes, are inorganic synthetic polymers consisting of a silicon-oxygen backbone that can be composed into a wide variety of materials. They can vary in consistency from liquid to gel to rubber to hard plastic. The most common type is linear polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS).

PDMS are odorless, colorless, water resistant, chemical resistant, oxidation resistant, stable at high temperature, and do not conduct electricity. PDMS are considered inert and impervious to the effects of aging, weather, sunlight, moisture, heat, cold, and some chemical assaults.

Thus, PDMS are ideal for and found in many products, such as lubricants, insulation, adhesives, sealants, gaskets, car parts, medical devices, children toys, dishware, gloss enhancer and even Silly Putty

There are many misunderstandings and misstatements about silicones and their use in automotive appearance products. To help and clarify and provide a basis of scientific fact here are just a few examples:

Notes:
The text in Red was posted by a forum member.
The text in Back is from a professional chemist.

- “Dimethyl is derived from Aromatic hydrocarbon (petroleum) distillates”
Not true… They are not from “Aromatic” hydrocarbons.

- “Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) is a basically inert, water based”
Not true.... PDMS is oil soluble.

- “The best way to describe most forms of silicone is to think of it as a man-made wax ester."
Not true... It is not a wax, not an ester, it is a unique chemistry based upon inorganic materials.

- “Silicone is created by the reaction generated when you combine fatty acids with Polydimethylsiloxane”
Not true…PDMS is non-reactive.

- “Dimethyl causes vinyl and most plastics to dry out and crack”
Not true… PDMS are odorless, colorless, water resistant, chemical resistant, oxidation resistant, stable at high temperature, and do not conduct electricity. PDMS are considered inert and impervious to the effects of aging, weather, sunlight, moisture, heat, cold, and some chemical assaults.

- “This type of silicone also causes ‘sling’,"

Not true… Anything placed on tires will have a tendency to sling due to centrifugal force.

- “Hydrocarbon (petroleum) distillates can be further purified, re-distilled, reacted and combined with various other chemicals to produce a wide range of environmentally safe (water-based) and useful silicone products.”

Not true… Silicones are not hydrocarbon distillates

- “Silicone is an active ingredient in sun UV amplification."
Not true… Silicone does not change the effects of sunlight and its properties.

- “As a low quality silicone dressing evaporates away, the silicone oil is left behind, the sun then amplifies these residues, and the drying process is accelerated.”
Not true… PDMS that are used in tire products do not evaporate, nor do they change the effects of sunlight and it’s properties.

End of Meguiar's Statement

Note the goal here is not to embarrass or disparage anyone on our forum from posting information and specifically information on complex topics such as the chemistry of silicones, but to point out that it's easy to copy and paste information found on other websites or out of a book from the library, but as scientific sounding as the information may read, if the person posting the information is not a professional chemist, trained in the profession of chemistry, then anything they post should be questioned, and if questioned, the person posting it should be able to back it up with scientific facts or discontinue posting information they can't back up and don't generate themselves from their own learned knowledge on the subject.

It's important to remember that the goal of Meguiar's Online is to help people get the best results from their time, money and efforts. As such, the primary focus of our our discussions should be on the performance of the products, not the ingredients in our products and the chemistry behind them.

Meguiar's, just like every other company in the business of manufacturing car care chemicals is not going to tell everyone what's in our products and how they are made. Its ridiculous to even think that any car wax manufacture would do this.

It's okay to be interested as well as curious as to what's in a product and how it works, I can assure you I'm interested and curious in these things also. But at the end of the day, the big picture is the big picture, and that's choosing and using the right products for the job and the results you achieve.

That's what this forum is here for, that's our goal, helping you to choose and use the correct product in the right way and achieve the results you're looking for.

People need to get away from the anything that has silicone or petroleum in it is bad.

That G35x looks fantastic! Black takes time and effort but it looks great when done right. You did it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back