Tire delimma

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I purchased my 2016 Grand Caravan in Feb 2017, it had two good tires and two worn tires. Guessing they were never rotated. In June of 2017 I found a set of 4 matching Michelin tires with 70% tread. Those tires are now down to 5/32. I put on my winter tires for now (Michelin X Ice). I know that I can get at least another summer out of these tires.

The two Kumho KH16 (?) that I took off are like new. They have 8/32 tread. New tread is 10/32. I don't know how good of a tire the KH16 is overall, but since I use dedicated winter tires, I know they are sufficient for summer/fall usage.

My delimma is this: I found a pair of matching Kumho Solus KH16's with the same tread depth as the pair that I have. They are priced at $135 for the pair; half of new price. Should I buy them and run them starting next spring summer, and sell the four Michelins that I have with 5/32? If I keep the Michelins, I will be two years before I need a set of summer tires due to the fact that I run winter tires. Or should I sell the two good Kumho tires that I have and just buy four new tires in a couple of years? The tires are stored out of the sunlight when not in use, in an uninsulated and unheated garage.

Sell the Michelins. I believe in running the best tires you have on hand, meaning use Kumhos first. By the time you need the Michelins, they will be even more aged and taking up storage space.

I would look at the manufacturing date of the "new" KH16's for $135. Check for a recall on the tire as well.

Be careful when buying used tires because they can be either really old (old stock), part of a recall, or both.

That being said I would stick with the Michelins and then just buy a set of cheap but NEW tires.

Last edited:
I average about 20k-25k miles per year. the majority of that is done during the spring/summer/fall. I would say about 15k miles during those times, but it varies.

I dislike Michelin so I'd sell them. But mount/dismount costs come into play. So there's something to be said for just running 'em down. Plus aren't these vans hard on tires? You may find both sets are gone before you know it.

KH16s are quick-wearing cheap OE tires. So-so for traction, decently quiet, sometimes last 30k (most of the time less). If you got 'em, use 'em, but they aren't great tires to match. Just buy 2 better tires to use with them, don't waste money on matching them up. They might even be out of production by now; they went out in most sizes a couple of years ago.

What JJ said. Tires are the most important safety item on your vehicle. Never, ever cheap out on them because a better tire may help you avoid an accident.

Sell the Kumhos and Michelins and buy a new decent set.

I've got Kumho Solus TA31's on my Sonata, can't wait to get rid of them. Low siping I've they start wearing and they're loud. Starting to squirm and split too.

I'd probably run the Michelin's down since they're already on the car. (assumes you're swapping wheels with the winters)

My Hertz Soul+ was never rotated so put some Walmart only General Exclaim HS's on the front. Got another 13 thousand on Kumho Solus rear tires before replacing with new Exclaims. They seemed to play well with the Solus's, but four of the Exclaims are a lot quieter despite a more aggressive looking tread. Think these are the best Wallyworld only tires I've ever run into-- better than the Goodyears. I'm cheap, but I might try to put some of the Generals on with the Kumhos when the Michelins wear down. This would be depending on how expensive matching Kumhos were. Of course I'm cheap.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't have extra rims for the summer/winter tires. It costs $40 to have them mounted each season. I did purchase the lifetime balance and rotation so I only pay the mounting costs. Rims, extra TPMS sensors, and mounting would have cost between $400-$500. I can pay mounting costs for 5 years at that rate.

A matching set of used KH16s would cost about $135 for the pair. They have the same tread depth as the ones I already own. The winter tires are on now. I

I may try to sell both sets and just buy a new set this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back