Tire decisions for 17" wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I got a nice minty set of '05 TSX wheels that look like they never were used on eBay. I've been searching for the last two weeks off and on. So I've really come to the conclusion that I should ask a few forums their thoughts on tires.

I have a 2006 Accord 2.4L I4 5speed manual.

Bare in mind that I live in Maryland, so we do get some snow/ice in the winter. I have the stock 16" wheels that I can toss winter rubber on if needed. I *might* just sell the stockers and put all seasons on the 17's...

For the winter/summer combo,

Summer/all season tires:
kumho ecsta 4x
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity
Yokohama AVID ENVigor

Winter (if I decide to keep the 16's):
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
Continental ExtremeWinterContact
Michelin X-Ice Xi2
General Altimax Arctic

I currently have the yokohama h4s on the 16's that are very close to needing replacement (next 5-7k miles). While I'm happy with the performance of these tires, I'm not as happy with the hit in gas mileage that I got. With the OE Turanza EL41's I got roughly 32-34mpg depending on how mean I am to the car. Now I get at best 32mpg. That's with ~70-80% highway driving.

I'm not too worried about the winter tires as they will be on the car ~3-5 months out of the year (that is again if I keep the 16's).

I'd like to play the ultimate balancing act here and rate my priorities:

all season performance traction... rain, snow, sunny, hot and cold. I'd like a decent feel of the road as well. I simply can't stand tires that feel like I have a giant marshmallow under each corner of the car.

Mileage... It'd be nice to get a tire on the 17's that got close to what I was able to get MPG wise with the OE set of tires.

Noise/comfort... This is an area I'm not too picky about so long as it's not super intrusive. The yokohama H4S (H rated) I found to be fine noise wise until recently. Also, while I don't want a tire that will jar me on every single bump I hit I again don't want it to feel like a Lincoln town car (no "marshmellow feeling" when taking turns).

Tread life... So long as they last at least 30-40k I'm happy. Anymore then that it's a bonus. I'm pretty pleased that the H4S lasted the 35k that they have. I have a feeling they will make it to 40k.

My driving style is for the most part pretty average. Though at times I do tend to drive spirited. So I'm leaning in the direction of a good performance tire.

Avoid the "performance" tires if you want something that lasts more than 15k.

Obviously you will never match true winter tires with even the best all-seasons.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

have them on the T5 and they've been great - good ride, excellent handling and wearing well....further, they're among the cheapest I could find in my size: 235/45R17.

Check out www.tirerack.com for comparison tests...

Continental ExtremeContact DWS get my vote. Had them on the WRX for the past 25k and they are wearing extremely well and are excellent in the snow.

the Conti DWS is a fantastic tire, I had it on my focus for 5k before we traded it. They were heads and shoulders above the Kumhos that came on it. They were smooth riding, quiet, had tons of grip, were fantastic in the wet. Didn't get a chance to try them in the snow, but they are supposed to be some of the best all-seasons for winter driving.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 seem to be good in my experience if you don't mind the price. 60,000 mile warranty I believe and returns good fuel economy/low noise compared to the other tires that I have driven on with the vehicle.

Primacy MXV4's get my vote. Can't recommend the Conti DWS, had them on 30days, terrible flatspotting overnight, colder the temps the worse it was and the longer it lasted. Swapped for the Primacy MXV4's, much quieter and smoother riding. This was for a 3.0L Accord, size 215/50-17. Second choice Yoko Avid Envigors.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I have 8/32 or more on all my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires after 22k miles, and the tread looked really good until I chewed them up at the track last summer. They've still got a little left before I'd consider them down to pure summer tire status, at which point I expect they'll wear much slower. But it's true that if you want a tire to use year-round right down to 4/32, these wouldn't be good for that. You'd want something with full-depth grooves.

You could buy a set of all-seasons now, pwrusr, and then get a set of winters on the 16" wheels when the all-seasons are down to 8/32 or so and not as good in snow anymore.

Awsome response guys.

As far as price goes... I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but price is just one of many things I consider when buying tires. Most of the time I would consider other things like MPG, treadlife & performance before the price. Now if tire #1 does better then tire #2 in the catigories and is $20-40 more per tire I'd likely go with #1. If it was $60-80 more per tire I'd go for the cheaper one in that case.

I've heard some really mixed reviews on the DWS tires, They almost seemed like "the one" until I really started to read up on them. Quite a few people complained about flatspotting and squrmy/unstable cornering. Seems to be linked to the soft and thin sidewall on these tires. They are otherwise everything I'm looking for... quiet and awsome wet & snow traction for a all season tire. Though not too many comments on the MPG of these tires compared to others. The treadlife is good if rotated every 4-6k miles. many reviewers clamed to get 50k miles to the warebars. So ~40k down to 4/32 isn't too bad at all.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Primacy MXV4's get my vote. Can't recommend the Conti DWS, had them on 30days, terrible flatspotting overnight, colder the temps the worse it was and the longer it lasted. Swapped for the Primacy MXV4's, much quieter and smoother riding. This was for a 3.0L Accord, size 215/50-17. Second choice Yoko Avid Envigors.

Have you had the chance to drive in the rain or snow much with them?

Originally Posted By: rpn453

I have 8/32 or more on all my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires after 22k miles, and the tread looked really good until I chewed them up at the track last summer. They've still got a little left before I'd consider them down to pure summer tire status, at which point I expect they'll wear much slower. But it's true that if you want a tire to use year-round right down to 4/32, these wouldn't be good for that. You'd want something with full-depth grooves.

You could buy a set of all-seasons now, pwrusr, and then get a set of winters on the 16" wheels when the all-seasons are down to 8/32 or so and not as good in snow anymore.

All-season performance tires wear much better than "summer" performance tires. My comment was meant to steer him away from the summer tires.

Ment to add in my last post...

The kumho ecsta 4x is cheaper and from the reviews so far that I've read have everything the DWS has but does better in the dry and has awsome steering responce. No reviews of flatspotting. Seem to be fine for light snowfall, though I'm unsure about ice. being all I'd doubt they do well in that regard. they may not do as well in heavy snowfall like the dws seem to have the edge on.

Also not to shoot anyone down here, but a few reviews on the MXV4 seem to be shocked at the lack of wet grip with these tires? I donno if they are trying to drive like it's dry out or what. Did anyone have this kind of experence with these tires?

Quote:

Rain plenty, snow only on few occasions. Handle fine in the rain, good hydroplaning resistance. The few times in snow, no complaints, work fine in light snow, can't say I've had to take them in any snow > 3-4".

I will add that perhaps the 50 series profile size may be a factor in the DWS flatspotting. But, for me to take them back, it was producing a noticeable vibration over a substantial time.

I should add my Primacy MVX4's are the V rated tire.

Last edited:
I will chime in on the Snow/Rain performance on the Michelin MXV4 H rating and rain is fine no hydroplaning with them up to the 17-18,000 miles I had them. The snow was pretty good as well, but I believe over 4+ or so inches my car was hampered more by ground clearance than by tire performance. This tire has served me well.

All-season performance tires wear much better than "summer" performance tires. My comment was meant to steer him away from the summer tires.

None of the tires in my first post are "summer" tires. They are more of a high performance all-seasons with a bias toward wet/dry traction with the possability of light snow fall. I went this directionfor precisely the reason you mention.

Quote:

Rain plenty, snow only on few occasions. Handle fine in the rain, good hydroplaning resistance. The few times in snow, no complaints, work fine in light snow, can't say I've had to take them in any snow > 3-4".

I will add that perhaps the 50 series profile size may be a factor in the DWS flatspotting. But, for me to take them back, it was producing a noticeable vibration over a substantial time.

I should add my Primacy MVX4's are the V rated tire.

I take it you ment MXV4
wink.gif

Yes I'd likely get the same V rated tire. And considering that you and I have practly the same car besides engine size I'm willing to bet they would be a good match for me as well.

What's amazing to me is the contis are W or Z rated if I recall correctly. You'd think they'd have a even better resistence to flat spotting and such.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I will chime in on the Snow/Rain performance on the Michelin MXV4 H rating and rain is fine no hydroplaning with them up to the 17-18,000 miles I had them. The snow was pretty good as well, but I believe over 4+ or so inches my car was hampered more by ground clearance than by tire performance. This tire has served me well.

Nice!! good to hear solid reviews on them.

Anyone else here a "sprited" driver? Remember I live in the thick of I95 country where you almost have to drive aggressively or else you may get run off the road. I stick to the right lane and travel 65-70mph for that reason alone ...most of the time... for my fellow Maryland drivers, you know what I mean when I say the drivers do sometimes bring out the worst in you.

Yeah MXV4's, added comment in hurry before edit time expired.

I got the V rated because that is oe spec for 3.0L Accord.

FWIW, I was looking for Yoko Avid Envigors as replacement for lousy Michelin oem's. Discount Tire had a super grand opening promo on the DWS so I tried them. Never experienced flatspotting/vibartion on new tires like that before or since.

Originally Posted By: pwrusr
What's amazing to me is the contis are W or Z rated if I recall correctly. You'd think they'd have a even better resistence to flat spotting and such.

IIRC, it's the nylon cords in high-speed rated tires that are often responsible for the flat-spotting effect. If you park them while they're hot and pliable, they take a set as they cool and need to be warmed up again to regain their flexibility and go back to being round.

What tire size?

Yeah MXV4's, added comment in hurry before edit time expired.

I got the V rated because that is oe spec for 3.0L Accord.

FWIW, I was looking for Yoko Avid Envigors as replacement for lousy Michelin oem's. Discount Tire had a super grand opening promo on the DWS so I tried them. Never experienced flatspotting/vibartion on new tires like that before or since.

The V rating is also what's called for in my owner's manual.

If the Avids are anything like the tires they replaced (H4S & V4S H and V rated respectively) they are good tires. Though they seemed to like being pumped up 2-4PSI more then what's called for on the driver's door. It looks like my H4S are currently at ~5/32-6/32 after ~30-35k miles.

Originally Posted By: pwrusr

IIRC, it's the nylon cords in high-speed rated tires that are often responsible for the flat-spotting effect. If you park them while they're hot and pliable, they take a set as they cool and need to be warmed up again to regain their flexibility and go back to being round.

What tire size?

That's interesting info rpn453.

215/50 17 will be what I'm planning to use since it's closest to the OE size that I was using on the 16's.
I am currently running on 205/60 16 on my set of 16" wheels.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back