Tire advice - 2020 Honda Passport

Looking to the experts as I am thinking of replacing the tires on my passport. The stock contis are fine but as they have worn the wet and snow traction is getting kind of blah.

Narrowed it down to a few, with comments. Also open to other suggestions not listed.

Primacy LTX- came up as an option. Had Michelin on my accord and was fairly happy. I see issues of these wearing fast

Pirelli scorpion as 3-these are newer but seem to get good marks

Michelin cross climate 2-overall they seem to get good marks. Like that they are a three peak tire.

Falken wildpeak at3- definitely more aggressive than the other tires, but would be a good look on the car and from what I read, they are well mannered

Firestone destination LE 3-never been a huge Firestone person but these and their predecessor seem to be well liked.

I live in Chicago and travel in all weather so snow performance is important. Vehicle is AWD.

Thanks in advance!

I had a set of Primacy's almost 10 years ago and they were awful in snow.

I like RT43's, when new they are decent in snow and slush. Your basic all season of course, easily blown away by any "real" snow tire, but still, I thought they were and are decent enough, at least when near-full tread. Seems like there is a Conti tire that is getting decent press here?

Personally, if snow & ice traction is important, spring the money for set of winter tires and be done with it. Over a 4-5 year lifespan the extra cost should average out if you drive enough.

Looking to the experts as I am thinking of replacing the tires on my passport. The stock contis are fine but as they have worn the wet and snow traction is getting kind of blah.

Narrowed it down to a few, with comments. Also open to other suggestions not listed.

Primacy LTX- came up as an option. Had Michelin on my accord and was fairly happy. I see issues of these wearing fast

Pirelli scorpion as 3-these are newer but seem to get good marks

Michelin cross climate 2-overall they seem to get good marks. Like that they are a three peak tire.

Falken wildpeak at3- definitely more aggressive than the other tires, but would be a good look on the car and from what I read, they are well mannered

Firestone destination LE 3-never been a huge Firestone person but these and their predecessor seem to be well liked.

I live in Chicago and travel in all weather so snow performance is important. Vehicle is AWD.

Thanks in advance!

No experience in the snow with these but I put a set of Pirelli Scorpion AS3's on my wife's 2019 Equinox two months ago and so far we are happy with them. They replaced a set of Firestone Destination LE2's that I did not really care for. Hopefully someone can chime in that has some snow experience with these.

The three all season tires I always consider for CUV’s are Michelin Defender Ltx, General Hts60 and General RT43.

Not listed but I’m very impressed with the BFGoodrich Advantage TA Sport LT’s on our minivan. Year 2 on them and they’re still great in the snow we get here in Chicago. They also carry the 3PMSF rating.

Not listed but I’m very impressed with the BFGoodrich Advantage TA Sport LT’s on our minivan. Year 2 on them and they’re still great in the snow we get here in Chicago. They also carry the 3PMSF rating.
2nd this.
I put them on in-laws Pilot and so far good in snow, ice. Pretty aggressive tread so probably decent in mud, dirt.
I would not expect them to be quite there with CC2 in snow, but they are much cheaper.

Got Michelin Cross Climate 2 for my Mazda CX-5, they're all weather am very happy.
Ride quality is great and (unexpectedly) very quiet, plus great on snow.

I would recommend the General RT43 which didn't seem to make your list. I have them on my wife's Santa Fe XL w/AWD and they do well in light snow. My second choice (on your list) would be the Firestone tires.

Got Michelin Cross Climate 2 for my Mazda CX-5, they're all weather am very happy.
Ride quality is great and (unexpectedly) very quiet, plus great on snow.
Same here, CC2 on our 2018 CX-5. Great tires so far, super quiet, comfortable and grippy here in CT winter. ❄️ Pricey though.

My 2021 F150 came with Scorpion A/T which is slightly different from OP's suggestion but similar. Also very quiet, comfortable, and grippy. Surprisingly good in an ice storm a couple of weeks ago.

Tires generally are soooo much better than a decade ago.

I'd go with the wildpeaks just get them road forced to make sure they aren't out of round and a persistent nuisance. They have the snow rating and wear like iron ! The continental's oem wear weird and don't last. Most wildpeak at3w have a 55k treadwear warranty !

We just put CC2 on a 2015 CRV and are quite happy with them. probably one of the better tires we’ve bought. I’m not a Michelin fan boy and usually shy away from them so minimal branding cool aid here. They are not as precise on-center as the bfgs mentioned above. We had those BFGs and after 2 years were like skating on wet pavement - I suspect because the crv just doesn’t have the weight the big lugs of the BFGs need to bite.

The CC2s handle very similarly to the continental TerrainContact AT, which is also a great tire, the best AT I’ve had in the rain. The continentals have a softer ride, similar to the CC2, and were silent for an AT. The Michelins seem more precisely manufactured than the continentals. I’m not sure if the size is available for you, but the Yokohama g015 is another one I’ve been happy with, as a mild all terrain. It drives the most directly of the 3 but gives up a little wet grip in return, but I mean only a little. In summary, I’d favor the yoko or the cc2 with a very close nod to the TerrainContact if you like the idea of an all terrain.

Thanks all for the suggestions and guidance. Tough choice. Leaning toward the wild peak or cc2.
wildpeaks are more trail AT tires, not passenger tires. I wouldn't even consider them for a vehicle like a Pilot. Maybe like a 4runner, Jeep GC, something like an actual SUV and not a CUV.

Back