Tip: Reduce Torque When Using Antiseize

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '95 Civic manual gives a torque spec using anti-seize as well and I held the spec when I changed them out last time.

I agree with labman.

Of course- when no particular spec exists- tighten the item one-quarter turn before breakage.

Acranox,
An 800 page pocket reference? Somebody's got big pockets
wink.gif
Just kidding; good find.
It is a good idea to have a book like that or a factory service manual. I use my FSM for my torque values, and it tells me if I need to use antiseize or threadlocker. Then I just torque my bolts to the value stated with the appropriate "additive".
I've also observed that a little common sense and a calibrated "gut feeling" can go a long way towards preventing stripped threads/snapped bolts. Unfortunately, my "gut feeling" has needed calibrated on a few occassions in the past
smile.gif

Dave

Spark plugs are typically 1/4 turn or so, past seating. This is the same for a dry plug or a plug covered with anti-seize. Read the side of the plug package & see what they reccomend.

You need to use the K value for the selected fastener, where maintaining the proper clamp load is possible by reducing the applied torque on the part. The only way to do this is find out what the original clamp load was & work backwards. Anti Seize & threadlockers typically have similar lubricating properties, aka "K" factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back