Tip for take-out orders and buffet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you tip for take-out orders ? If you do, what is the usual tip ? How about in a buffet restaurants ?

I usually tip 10% for take-out orders and at buffet restaurants, my friends said they don't tip take-out orders and 10% at a buffet restaurant.

Take-out? No way.

Buffet, I usually leave a few bucks if the service is OK.

If someone delivers, I'll usually throw the driver a fiver if things get there relatively quickly.

My rule of thumb is-if they wait on you-they get a tip-the scale starts @ 20% if they do an AWESOME job (rare), down to pocket change if they are rude/bad attitude (also surprisingly rare). Starbucks started the tip jar for carry-outs-not a tipped employee as far as I'm concerned. Buffets get 10-15% if they do OK (an excuse to pay wait staff w/out much to do $2.02/hr. IMHO).

I did once at Applebees (Car-side To Go) then
33.gif
what am I doing. Then let them keep the chump change the next time.

The local places that deliver add a fee for delivery so I usually round the check up to an nice even number plus two bucks.

I do tip at buffets because my table is usually running over with plates and forks and knives and bowls and bibs and such...I usually stop eating when the table falls to one side and bowls and plates come crashing down.

"You no eat more! Get out! No doggy bag either!"

I tipped for take out 2 nights ago because the girl running the take out side was literally running to accommodate about 10 eager and waiting customers. Short of that, I don't tip for take out.

I tip whenever I can. A few bucks to me is nothing, those people depend on that money to make a living. If you are a repeat customer, it never hurts to be "that guy who tips well".

I tip at buffets when the service is good. Take out, no.

Working as a delivery driver for a year made me go out of my way to tip well for great service. Most of my income was in tips. The delivery fee paid for my gas. The small hourly wage was not worth anything.

Was at a pizza place where one orders at the counter... just like burger king.

Was the only customer, slow day. Girl working there was trying to covertly convert the experience to a sit-down dining one, bringing my food to my table, etc instead of just calling it "up".

Nice try.

The tip jar at DDs and starbucks... never. Getting an ice cream cone, the change from a dollar sometimes: glad the kids got summer jobs.

Never for either. But then I don't eat take out food, nor do I eat buffet food so I save the cost of what passes as food, I save the cost to my health and I save the cost of the tip.

Take-out: 15% to 20%, 15% for places I don't usually use and 20% in places where I frequent often.

Buffet: don't go to buffets.

Delivery: around $5 regardless of the order size but we don't do this very often.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I tipped 10% at the Indian buffet the other day. Only because the waitress (and I use that term loosely) was particularly surly with a biting nastiness.

Sounds like my kinda gal!
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back