Tiny Dent in oil filter, Still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at China Mart today to get a jug of Maxlife and oil filter to change my oil this weekend. When I got home I was checking out the oil filter and noticed that it had a dent in the top of it. About the size of a dime and you can only really see it if the lighting is right. Is it still useable or should I return it and get another one? The only reason it's an issue is it's like a 45 minute drive to the nearest
China Mart from my house. It's a Fram (gasp) and the dent is right where the non slip stuff is. It's probably less than a millimeter deep and scuff or break the Non slip stuff.

For the record, I'm only using Fram because the last two Napa Golds I've had have caused startup noise after about 2000 miles and I can't find puroilater anywhere around me.

Fist off, you would get better answers in the oil filter forum

Second, that kind of dent is harmless

Third, don't be afraid to use a Fram

Quote:

Start up noise was caused by Napa Gold? what did it sound like.

It was valvetrain noise. 5 seconds of so. When I replaced it it stopped right away, so I cut the filter open and the anti-drainback valve as shot. I had used them for years with no issue and both filters were purchased at the same time. I assume it was a bad lot or something, But I'm still hesitant to use them again.

I've never had any issue with Fram. I just quit using them because people on this site seemed to think they were cheaply constructed. Napa Gold was the one everyone liked so I went that route. I'm thinking I may stick with Fram. I've probably got 300,000 miles on various cars with fram with no issues and I've had 2 issues with Napa/Wix using them for 4 years and about 60,000 miles. Bad luck I guess.

GOPHER FREAK, what kind of car is this filter going to be used on?

I've always been leery of using a dented filter on any motor that develops high oil pressure, especially when cold (like the Ford 4.6L). I feel once the metal is stressed like that, it increases the chance of failure at that point. I may be over-reacting, but filters are so cheap that I toss ones that I've dropped and dented (which isn't many) rather than risk it.

If it bothers you dont put it on. I put a dented on on and it bothered me and so a week later I ended up changing it. If a problem ever arises, you can be sure that dent will become a issue in a warranty issue. No filter company will warrant a dented filter, it gives them a escape route.

Quote:

If a problem ever arises, you can be sure that dent will become a issue in a warranty issue. No filter company will warrant a dented filter, it gives them a escape route.

Oh, I'd love to hear that defense used.
laugh.gif
How could they know that it wasn't dented after it was removed, which would be done during the course of diagnosis and repair?

I had a dent in an STP filter last year. It eventually turned into a pin size whole. I posted pictures on this site.I now inspect my filters before I proceed to check out.

Quote:

I had a dent in an STP filter last year. It eventually turned into a pin size whole. I posted pictures on this site.I now inspect my filters before I proceed to check out.

I also check to see if the gasket is there. I've seen filters that were missing gaskets a few times.

Quote:

Quote:

If a problem ever arises, you can be sure that dent will become a issue in a warranty issue. No filter company will warrant a dented filter, it gives them a escape route.

laugh.gif
How could they know that it wasn't dented after it was removed, which would be done during the course of diagnosis and repair?

Well, they won't point to the dent as a problem ...unless the engine failure was due to the dent flexing in and out with pressure issues and effectively putting a hole (as was mentioned) in the filter and pumping the engine dry.

I've used dented filters in the past ..but I'd never recommend it to anyone else. I can rely on myself to manage such problems (loss of oil pressure) ..but can't see into anyone else's head to see how attune they are to their engines.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

laugh.gif

Well, they won't point to the dent as a problem ...unless the engine failure was due to the dent flexing in and out with pressure issues and effectively putting a hole (as was mentioned) in the filter and pumping the engine dry.

I've used dented filters in the past ..but I'd never recommend it to anyone else. I can rely on myself to manage such problems (loss of oil pressure) ..but can't see into anyone else's head to see how attune they are to their engines.

Good point. Why risk it. If it were me driving the car I would probably use it being I'm very attune to every thing on my truck. This filter is going on my wifes car, And she ins't attune to anything on a car other than the gas gauge.

Quote:

GOPHER FREAK, what kind of car is this filter going to be used on?

I've always been leery of using a dented filter on any motor that develops high oil pressure, especially when cold (like the Ford 4.6L). I feel once the metal is stressed like that, it increases the chance of failure at that point. I may be over-reacting, but filters are so cheap that I toss ones that I've dropped and dented (which isn't many) rather than risk it.

1987 Toyota Celica GT Turbo All-Trac.

It's not that women CAN'T be attuned to stuff like this ..it's just that they don't view their environment like we do. My wife is a auto-hypochondriac. Any odd tick or creak and she's in anxiety village looking for Prince Valium to come to her rescue. If the fuel light comes on ...she's sweating bullets. I could tell you stories ..but, if I'm not around "just throw money at it and make it go away" would be a good line in some theme music that would accompany her on some of her adventures.

Now she hasn't a clue what can be causing the tick/creak/twitch ..and has no idea what to do about it
dunno.gif

In her case, she needs to ONLY worry about the gas gauge.
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

she ins't attune to anything on a car other than the gas gauge.

D'OH!
hide.gif

Now the PC Brigade will be stopping by your house to have a little chat with you...
bop.gif

She likes cars, As evidenced by the fact she insists on driving a 20 year old sports car 9 months out of the year. She just really dosen't know or care about anything other than the interior and exterior of the car. I doubt she would ever get around to changing oil if I didn't just do it. As far as washing it(3 times a week by hand, and rust proofs every year even though it's stored in the winter) and pointing out any imperfection in the body she is better than I am, And I worked autobody for 10 years. When I met her, The car other than the body and interior was TRASHED. We put and engine, trans, CV joints and full brakes and struts into it and now it's pretty much a new car, Which is good because she wants to drive it forever, Which I admire.

Does your state have a lottery?
The chances of the small dent causing any problem is about as great as your chances of winning your state lottery.
Still, if you would feel beter, throw the filter in the trash, or give it to someone who would use it, and buy another locally. This would be cheaper than driving 45 minutes to return/exchange it.
For the small price of an oil filter, the peace of mind would be worth it.

Quote:

It's not that women CAN'T be attuned to stuff like this ..it's just that they don't view their environment like we do. My wife is a auto-hypochondriac. Any odd tick or creak and she's in anxiety village looking for Prince Valium to come to her rescue. If the fuel light comes on ...she's sweating bullets. I could tell you stories ..but, if I'm not around "just throw money at it and make it go away" would be a good line in some theme music that would accompany her on some of her adventures.

Now she hasn't a clue what can be causing the tick/creak/twitch ..and has no idea what to do about it
dunno.gif

In her case, she needs to ONLY worry about the gas gauge.
grin.gif

That's okay man, last winter my mom poured 4L of Prestone Antifreeze into the gas tank of our 2001 Chrysler Intrepid because she thought that gas freezes and the antifreeze will prevent this from happening. The engine made it a good three hours like that before blowing up.
bop.gif

That said, it's not as good as the time she accidentally drove her PT Cruiser down a snowmobile trail onto the 12th hole of a golf course on Christmas Day. $2800 later the car was dug out of the snow and brought back up to pavement. She ended up somehow blowing the tranny out of it one year later on the same day.
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back