Timing belt replacement......

So my 2012 Fiat 500 is due for a timing belt. Manual says 152,000 and I’m at 153,000 so I’m currently getting some estimates. The mechanic I usually use is quoting me $750 total including water pump replacement. They have always serviced my car and the shop has an outstanding reputation and I have never had an issue and I trust this shop even though the prices are a little higher than most in my area. Another shop is quoting me $550 for the same job but I have never used the cheaper shop But the reviews seem positive and they do come highly recommended. Save $200 or pay the higher cost and go with the shop I trust?

Last edited:
So my 2012 Fiat 500 is due for a timing belt. Manual says 152,000 and I’m at 153,000 so I’m currently getting some estimates. The mechanic I usually use is quoting me $750 total including water pump replacement. They have always serviced my car and the shop has an outstanding reputation and I have never had an issue and I trust this shop even though the prices are a little higher than most in my area. Another shop is quoting me $550 for the same job but I have never used the cheaper shop But the reviews seem positive and they do come highly recommended. Save $200 or pay the higher cost and go with the shop I trust?
Is is easy to remove the top cover of the timing belt to inspect the condition of the belt? I can do this on my civic, which helps judge of you really need to change the belt ASAP or of its frayed and should be done soon.

I did this last fall since it's been 11 years since I changed the TB on the car. As for DIY, if you are confident enough to do it and you have the tools and time, then by all means go for it.

Otherwise it's probably best to do it with the shop you know and trust. This is one repair you don't want going wrong.

I'd go with the shop unless you're comfortable with DIY. In either case, be sure you're getting OEM parts; I know of a guy on the Honda forum I'm on who just got taken by a counterfeit belt that broke soon after replacing it, and he's having his heads repaired.

Is is easy to remove the top cover of the timing belt to inspect the condition of the belt? I can do this on my civic, which helps judge of you really need to change the belt ASAP or of its frayed and should be done soon.
I would not count on that. Timing belts fail by having the teeth strip off where they engage the crank sprocket. Such a belt still looks nice and un frayed, but it doesn't turn when you crank the engine. The warning sign that it is about to happen is little cracks at the root of each tooth, which are hard to see unless you take the belt off of the car and bend it backwards slightly. Looking at the top and the smooth outside of the belt won't tell you much.

Back