Timing belt job thread for anyone looking for a good read.

That was painfully entertaining.

I learned the hard way to use a yellow paint pen to mark the old timing belt at both cam pulley timing marks and the bottom of the crankshaft pulley while the old belt is still in place, and to transfer those marks to the new belt.

Also, parallax can certainly fool you when you're not looking dead-on at the pulley and the timing marks on the head.

I hope he gets it sorted out.

How about the Cliff Notes version of why it's so amusing, ain't reading through 7 pages to find out.
TLDR - Most everything that could have gone wrong did. It's back together but throwing a code, which is likely due to the rear bank cam being off one tooth - now he gets to do it all over again (albeit with the correct tools and a lot of lessons learned).

TLDR - Most everything that could have gone wrong did. It's back together but throwing a code, which is likely due to the rear bank cam being off one tooth - now he gets to do it all over again (albeit with the correct tools and a lot of lessons learned).
The School of Hard Knocks is a harsh teacher-it administers the knocks before the lessons...

It almost seems like the OP in the timing belt post was trolling the forum. supposed to be an electrical Engineer, yet uses a crescent wrench?, "Chip would not cause something to be unbalanced. Not like a Saturn 5 rocket". If I were a member of that forum I would posted: call a tow truck and take in, that is not a job you are capable of doing.

It almost seems like the OP in the timing belt post was trolling the forum. supposed to be an electrical Engineer, yet uses a crescent wrench?, "Chip would not cause something to be unbalanced. Not like a Saturn 5 rocket". If I were a member of that forum I would posted: call a tow truck and take in, that is not a job you are capable of doing.
Other than the mention of the crescent wrench (which he may have used the wrong term for), I thought the thread had the ring of truth.

He wrote 'Atlas V', which I took to mean 'Saturn V', but looked it up and the Atlas V is a real booster. I learned something.

I worked with a number of electrical engineers over many years - although one was very capable and did mechanical work as a hobby, many (or most) would have been utterly incapable of taking on a timing belt. The 2-year technologists tended to be a much more capable bunch w.r.t. automotive repair. (Is my bias showing?) 😉

The thread has continued since I read it yesterday - he has misfire codes for Cylinders 1, 2, and 3 (the entire rear bank) so I think it's confirmed that the rear bank is out by a tooth.

Is bad Because you can picture how the job is relatively simple but became an ordeal through lack of tools and experience.

Back