Timing belt broke on my 2004 WRX

I think about 70K miles. It was replaced about 10 years ago. I know it was past the recommended 60K miles, but not that much past it. But obviously these things are somewhat random. Not sure about recommended time between belts either.
Recommendation is 105k not 60k on them. There is a time limit of 7-8 years typically.

Bummer on break as the replacement cost is very low compared to traverse mounted engine.

I got it back and had a look at it. The mechanic took off the timing belt cover, and I could see the belt which was partially removed. It didn't look it was chewed up in any appreciable way although I couldn't see the part of the belt that was further inside. I'm thinking maybe the belt didn't break, but it might have skipped. Maybe it lost tension?

Hard to say, without seeing. They can shed teeth, have the teeth shear right off, leaving the roller side looking ok but the tooth side a bit, well, toothless.

I usually see the teeth shear off right at the crank sprocket on EJ engines. That, or (more likely) the hydraulic tensioner failed and allowed the engine to jump time.

I'm with everyone else: sell it, don't donate. Join a Subaru forum and/or FB group(s) and give it a whirl.

Back