Time vs. Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't do the service on time, it's OK to go slightly longer on the time & mileage intervals. But as a standard practice? I'd say that is OK only if you have significantly improved some part of the equation (e.g. using a better oil, fewer short trips, longer drives at temperature (to steam off condensation in the oil and clean the engine, etc). My truck calls for conventional oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months. I am running synthetic oil for 7,000+ miles using oversize filters and feel perfectly comfortable with that. It is extremely rare to not reach full temperature on any given trip, and most trips it stays at full temp for at least 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I'm doing 6 month 5,000 mile oil changes on two vehicles (2016 fusion 2.0 ecoboost and 2011 Silverado 4.3 V6). Most of the time it takes longer to reach 5,000 miles especially when I change them in the fall. My question is a 7 month or longer 5,000 mile change fine? This will be QSUD 5w30 on both vehicles. The Fusion turbo has me more concerned than the old school chevy 4.3 v6. Lot of short trips.

Assuming your warranty allows it (our it's out) 5,000 mi or 1 year whichever comes first should be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back