Time to replace the air filter. Acura OEM vs All

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time again. I currently have a Fram in there and overall construction looks fine. I'm looking for something better if at all possible. Anyone know how the OEM Acura filters stack up to everything else? Don't care about cost or restriction. I drive through some very dusty areas and superior filtration is my only concern.

air filtration comes down to two issues. number of pleats and the material used. my miata has an issue with the OE filter (44 pleats, paper media) and the mazda north american operations filter (21 pleats, fiber bed media). in the forum's search for the best filter we found that NAPA GOLD (44 pleats, paper media) and (believe it or not) the STP brand that Auto Zone carries (46 pleats compressed synthetic product resembling paper) were the two best.

since GM should have used a Delco on the assembly line, i would look at a Delco vs one of the above. i always prefer paper or a compressed product over fiber bed media (which is pretty much good for stopping golf balls and feathers).

I had a K&N I recently got rid of, less than 1000 miles on it, thing was dirty but after reading everything I went to the OEM filter for my Xterra. I had a choice between the PureOne which I read gave problems for some people(very restrictive) which is 12.99 or OEM which is 14.99. Went OEM. Sure there were other filters, but Wix switched to a plastic hard gasket, and Frams were mixed.

Go with the Fram every 10k to avoid fuel dilution in the oil (according to another poster here who's business it is to know these things).

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
air filtration comes down to two issues. number of pleats and the material used. my miata has an issue with the OE filter (44 pleats, paper media) and the mazda north american operations filter (21 pleats, fiber bed media). in the forum's search for the best filter we found that NAPA GOLD (44 pleats, paper media) and (believe it or not) the STP brand that Auto Zone carries (46 pleats compressed synthetic product resembling paper) were the two best.

since GM should have used a Delco on the assembly line, i would look at a Delco vs one of the above. i always prefer paper or a compressed product over fiber bed media (which is pretty much good for stopping golf balls and feathers).

Actually, it comes down to three issues, the two you mentioned and how well it fits/seals in the filter box. The best filter will do you no good if it lets dirt around the seal.

I've also found the STP filter to be a good one, good on you for mentioning it :)

I use the Amsoil EaA filters in all three of my cars and have been quite pleased with them. If they make one for your car, give them a try.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I use the Amsoil EaA filters in all three of my cars and have been quite pleased with them. If they make one for your car, give them a try.

I'd love to try the Amsoil air filters, but believe it or not, Amsoil does not make air filters for either of our rigs, an 06 Corolla with the 1ZZ FE engine and an 06 Tacoma with the 4 cyl. Those have to be two of the most popular rigs on the road, but for some reason Amsoil chooses not to make air filters for them.
21.gif

I like Denso, and the last one I bought was made in USA. The media isn't paper on my appl. but a fuzzy thick stuff. They claim triple layer filtration. It would be hard to judge by looks what the elemnt is really doing. With cost no object the OE would be my choice. Purolator Pure One may/may not have a fit, it is an interesting oiled media design with high claims on filtration.

When i first got the Xterra it had a Nissan OEM filter that was gauzzy(like a cotton esque material). Bought the K&N and I guess a threw it out(look very good and in "new" condition). When I went to Nissan on Saturday to buy my OEM filter again it was a paper/oil sealed in plastic. Only one they make, they said the filter that was in my Xterra is from factory. 35k miles on it and it looked new, wish I kept it!.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Oem Honda AF for my V6 Honda is the best fit/construction I have seen.

Thank you! That's what I've been wondering, how OEM would compare to aftermarket offerings. I vaguely remember being surprised at how good the construction was on the factory filter and how thick the media was.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
I like Denso, and the last one I bought was made in USA. The media isn't paper on my appl. but a fuzzy thick stuff. They claim triple layer filtration. It would be hard to judge by looks what the elemnt is really doing. With cost no object the OE would be my choice. Purolator Pure One may/may not have a fit, it is an interesting oiled media design with high claims on filtration.

the last denso filter i bought was a red compressed synthetic media, which i was quite happy with. the problem with some MFG (not toyota to my knowledge) is that the filter you buy in the dealer is NOT the filter that the OE put on it at the assembly line, it is the filter that the North American arm of the company subcontracted out for.

the fiber bed media that i hate so much is the (normally) white fuzzy stuff that looks like an old furnace filter (new ones use pleated compressed synthetic).

About two months ago I needed to change the air filter on my wife's '08 Acura TL. I wanted to get a PureOne because that's what I use in my Infiniti G35, but there was none for the the TL. I got a Napa Gold and it looked like to same quality as the OEM one. It was $20.

Talk about good luck. My car was in an accident... well the tire fell off because a mechanic used too small of a nut on the lower balljoint. Long story short it damaged some of the intake tract located inside of the inner fender. They replaced this and to my surprise when looking at it today it has a new factory looking air filter. I guess I don't need to worry for another couple years.

For my Acura, I know the OEM filter is a Toyo Roki and when I removed it from my vehicle when I purchased it, it seemed very well made and I wouldn't hesitate to use another. I replaced it with a Napa Gold and that filter was great as well, all UOA's had low silicon. I'm using a Purolator now but I haven't had any UOA's yet, so I can't comment on how well it's filtering. I might go back to Napa Gold's afterwards or maybe just OEM... either way, in short, I'd go with a Napa Gold (Wix) or OEM.

With the 03 TL-S, It still has the original filter from 2003..... 64K miles later, no problems, but now come to think of it, Im going to get a new air filter..... That just sounds bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back