Time to replace my Corolla, what should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
Originally Posted By: Cogito
What about the Scion Xd? I don't know what they cost, but I think they're less than Corollas and believe share the same engine. I saw one on the street today and it looked pretty nice.

What kind of MPG do they get?

22 and 28 are the epa estimates for city and highway.
2.4 liter 4 cylinder.

No good. I want something that's going to get AT LEAST as good MPG as my Corolla (38 MPG).

No, that is wrong. It gets about the same as a Corolla.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
....the Yaris has more driver seat/area room then your Corolla, and more then the 2009 Corolla! So it will be very comfy on long rides, even if the over all size of the Yaris is smaller then the Corolla.

I get 44-46 MPG highway from my 2007 4-speed auto tranny hatchback, and love this thing.

I've never looked at a Yaris. Is it really that roomy up front? I hate it when those center consoles are hitting your right leg. Is the inside actually roomier than a Rolla? I'm a big guy, 6'2", 300#, do you think I would be comfy driving it? What kind of revs would the engine be pulling in 5th gear with a manual trans at 70mph?

I'm 6"2 and have plenty of room in the yaris sedan.
I chose the automatic,and it travels at triple digit speeds quite well.

What about the Scion Xd? I don't know what they cost, but I think they're less than Corollas and believe share the same engine. I saw one on the street today and it looked pretty nice.

What kind of MPG do they get?

22 and 28 are the epa estimates for city and highway.
2.4 liter 4 cylinder.

No good. I want something that's going to get AT LEAST as good MPG as my Corolla (38 MPG).

No, that is wrong. It gets about the same as a Corolla.

The xd is about 400 pounds heavier than the yaris,with a 50 % larger engine.
Add the larger outside dimensions and you cant really expect the truck to equal the mileage of the corolla or yaris.
I would have bought the corolla if it fit my budget,but the corolla retails for about $19,000.

Add the larger outside dimensions and you cant really expect the truck to equal the mileage of the corolla or yaris.

How do you figure 50%? Xd is 1.8L, Yaris is 1.5L. That's about 20%.

....the Yaris has more driver seat/area room then your Corolla, and more then the 2009 Corolla! So it will be very comfy on long rides, even if the over all size of the Yaris is smaller then the Corolla.

I get 44-46 MPG highway from my 2007 4-speed auto tranny hatchback, and love this thing.

I've never looked at a Yaris. Is it really that roomy up front? I hate it when those center consoles are hitting your right leg. Is the inside actually roomier than a Rolla? I'm a big guy, 6'2", 300#, do you think I would be comfy driving it? What kind of revs would the engine be pulling in 5th gear with a manual trans at 70mph?

Best way to answer all your questions is to go test drive one.

No offense grampi, but in one post you state you are going to keep the Corolla for awhile longer, possibly another 100K, and then in another, you state you have 9K available for a vehicle. Yet know you entertain test driving cars that are much more than 9 grand.

I'm confused. I don't think you really know what you want man.
21.gif

How do you figure 50%? Xd is 1.8L, Yaris is 1.5L. That's about 20%.

You are correct.
I've been talking xb,not xd,lol.
I hate the scion names!

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

No offense grampi, but in one post you state you are going to keep the Corolla for awhile longer, possibly another 100K, and then in another, you state you have 9K available for a vehicle. Yet know you entertain test driving cars that are much more than 9 grand.

I'm confused. I don't think you really know what you want man.
21.gif

It isn't that I HAVE $9K now, it's that when I do replace my Corolla I'm estimating that I'll have about $9K to spend on a replacement car. If I'm able to get 300K out of my Corolla, it's very conceivable that I'll be able to pick up an '09 Civic, Yaris, or Fit for $9K in 4-5 years, which is how long it will take me to reach 300K. That's why I'm test driving the new cars. That should give me a good idea what I'll want to get in 4-5 years.

To the OP: if you can afford new, go for the NEW '09 TDI. We've got a JSW TDI coming in in the next few weeks. It will be our second MkV. These are not like the typical VWs as far as reliability.

The MkV Jettas are proving VERY reliable and trouble-free. They are CU recommended cars. We had zero problems with our '06 and it sold to the first buyer that looked at it. They're coming out of VW's new Mexico assembly facility and the fit and finish are excellent. They also have first-class safety ratings.

The new clean diesel engine is really special. Early owner reports over at TDIclub are that the '09 TDIs are routinely pulling over 40mpg and have great torque delivery. Extremely fun to drive and thrifty. The drop in oil prices is likely temporary. But even at your mileage rate, you'll still be saving at current pump prices. Add in the $1,300 tax credit, and it's better still.

The one problem with the '09s right now is availability and pricing. Most are selling for MSRP when they come in. JSWs have been like hen's teeth until lately and often commanded MSRP+. But production is ramping up and if you wait a few months, the prices should come down. If you get the DSG auto, reliability may not be as good as with the six speed manual.

Otherwise, the last gen TDI will still have the MkV reliability, but not anywhere near the same mileage, emissions, or quiet of the '09s. That's a much closer call compared to a Civic. I think the VW would be more fun to drive.

TDIs of all types hold their value well, so don't expect any bargains with them.

Volvohead

Though I can easily afford it, I will never buy another new car. Why pay thousands of dollars for the depreciation that's going to occure the second you drive the car off the lot? Is the new car smell really worth that much? It isn't to me. I would rahter buy a car that's already gone through the bulk of it's depreciation. Let the original owner pay all that money, I'm not.

I can't give you the link, as CU is a paid subscription site, but you're wrong. I'll take CU's opinion over JD Power any day on a specific model.

And I've owned VWs going back to the '70s. The MkV is a sharp departure from the older ones, which were deserving of the rap.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I can't give you the link, as CU is a paid subscription site, but you're wrong. I'll take CU's opinion over JD Power any day on a specific model.

And I've owned VWs going back to the '70s. The MkV is a sharp departure from the older ones, which were deserving of the rap.

Agreed, I seem to remember JD Power giving GM top-props when they were rolling out vehicles that many would now not consider "quality" vehicles.....

Though I can easily afford it, I will never buy another new car.

Then something like a '79 Rabbit diesel is for you.

At this point in my life, I like having a factory warranty, no repair payments, scant maintenance to worry about, and a fresh primary ride every few years. Except for the occasional keeper (that I keep until it dies), flipping every 3-5 years hasn't cost all that much. Heck, I MADE MONEY on my last new Volvo after it got totaled.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Though I can easily afford it, I will never buy another new car.

Then something like a '79 Rabbit diesel is for you.

At this point in my life, I like having a factory warranty, no repair payments, scant maintenance to worry about, and a fresh primary ride every few years. Except for the occasional keeper (that I keep until it dies), flipping every 3-5 years hasn't cost all that much. Heck, I MADE MONEY on my last new Volvo after it got totaled.

It doesn't take a financial genius to figure out that if you're always buying new vehicles, you're always spending a lot more money than the guy who's buying used, provided the guy who's buying used is smart about it and is not always buying pieces of junk. I purchased my Corolla for $6K with 65K miles and have put 100K on it myself with less than $1000 in repairs. The car has been comfortable and reliable. That's 3 years of NO car payments. That's a huge difference in cost, a difference that's not worth it in my book.

I sat in my co-worker's '06 Corolla yesterday to once again see how much leg room it provides. I don't know if there's a difference in front seat leg room room between the the manual and automatic Corollas, or if I just didn't have the driver's seat all the way back when I test drove the '03 5 speed, but my co-workers had plenty of leg room (his is an automatic). I guess the Corolla is back on the list.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The yaris is a good car, but the price in relation to a corolla is so little, it makes sense to buy the larger car.

+1, My 08 Corolla with 4 miles on the odo was 14K out the door. IIRC, the Yaris was the same price at the same dealer. The Yaris is going to get a little bit better mileage, but I'll take the almost 40 mpg I get in my Corolla with automatic tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back