Time for upgrades and maintenance for the Elantra! + Questions

Hi again!, spent the weekend working on the Elantra, and gotta say, Hyundai makes it easy to keep these cars running, all bolts came off no problem even after NY winters, all new parts went on without a hitch, even has a dip stick for transmission fluid, and i felt a difference immediately..
K4442 Powerstop brakes, rotors, Z23 Evolution Sport Brake pads and hardware
17" OEM Kia/Hyundai rims
UHP 168mph tires in the 215/45/R17 favor
Upgraded heavy duty front and rear sway bar end links with grease fittings.
Maxlife Synthetic ATF drain and fill 3X3
4.23 Qts of Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20 with a Fram ultra 9688 filter

The Powerstop brakes are a HUGE upgrade from what was on there.. I think they might of been original rotors because the rotor holding screws still had the paint marks on them. the Powerstops stop smooth, quiet, and with much less force required!. No vibrations, noise, or dust. Follow the break in to a T!- I used powerstops on the Sonata recently, and loved them so much, that i had to get them for the Elantra.
The transmission feels fantastic with the synthetic Maxlife ATF, I highly recommend over the OEM fluid. Easy to drain and fill, one 17MM bolt on bottom of pan, and it drains about 2.5QTS out at a time, plus a filler tube and dip stick to fill and check.
Also another nice upgrade for a tighter ride are these heavy duty sway bar links with grease fittings. Feels much stiffer around turns, and the back no longer "hops" over bumps and dips.
And well the M1-5W20, cant go wrong with that and will change every 4-5K miles, these 2.0L's are not too hard on oil, and this one does not burn, or leak a drop.

Feeling pretty good about it now, and gets a solid 30MPG using 91 ethanol free gas, with 6OZ of MMO in fuel. I think i will replace the spark plugs with either premium long life Denso 3396 or NGK 96457. What have you used? Anything thing else i should check, replace, or adjust? Any "known" issues?
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, coolant, and belts have all been replaced about 15K miles ago.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpeg
    IMG_1636.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1641.jpeg
    IMG_1641.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1642.jpeg
    IMG_1642.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1643.jpeg
    IMG_1643.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1644.jpeg
    IMG_1644.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 54
I also did a cluster upgrade. Found the same mileage cluster but with trip computer info, and was plug and play. Car has 114K miles. I first bought a cluster with 50K miles on it for 35$ off ebay to make sure this upgrade would even work, then after a week i found another cluster with the mileage that is correct for car, and installed that cluster.. Now i have 2 clusters sitting in my garage. the Org one without trip computer info with 114K miles, one with trip computer info with 50K miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1648.jpeg
    IMG_1648.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1614 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1614 (1).jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1615 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1615 (1).jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1616 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1616 (1).jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1617 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1617 (1).jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1619 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1619 (1).jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 28
I would use the Denso Iridium TT plugs and NGK wires. Any NGK or Denso iridium should be fine in your car, including the 2 part numbers you listed.

Do you get the car rustproofed?

OP, I was the proud owner of a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring (purchased one month before the advent of Elantra GT.) We have the old, tried and true Kia Sephia engine.

I put 300k miles on this bad boy. It has 64.5 cubic feet of cargo area, perfect for my job as a delivery driver subcontractor.

Here's a few bullet points IMHO.

--Change the timing belt and all associated hardware on the 100s, as you are doing. Use OEM parts. My mechanic showed me where there was some scuffing on the hardware, maybe a sign that it would fail pretty soon.

--Back in the day, there was LOTS of talk on the internet about SP III vs MaxLife. Reportedly, there are plastic internal components in the transmission that require OEM fluid. Dealership or Eneos at NAPA are sources for that.

Finally, I used the Immortal Sustina 0W20 VI 229 in my sled. Performance improved. Successive UOA's indicated clearly that this was no problem.

Step on the gas.
Step on the brakes.
Enjoy your durable, reliable
performance go cart.

Oh one last point.
What did me in at 300k miles was that I was the fool who never changed the cabin air filter, and this fried my air conditioner.

I see. I always thought they kept mileage in the ECM/BCM, just in case of something like the OP replacing his own IP.
On the 07-10 Elantra the mileage is stored in the cluster.
Pcv valve often gets overlooked so I'd add that.
Did not even give that a thought, will order TY

I would use the Denso Iridium TT plugs and NGK wires. Any NGK or Denso iridium should be fine in your car, including the 2 part numbers you listed.

Do you get the car rustproofed?
Okay so Denso it is!, The car is rust proofed, and has zero rust currently. trying to keep it that way lol.
Oh one last point.
What did me in at 300k miles was that I was the fool who never changed the cabin air filter, and this fried my air conditioner.
That was the first thing i changed, along with air filter.
OP, I was the proud owner of a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring (purchased one month before the advent of Elantra GT.) We have the old, tried and true Kia Sephia engine.

I put 300k miles on this bad boy. It has 64.5 cubic feet of cargo area, perfect for my job as a delivery driver subcontractor.

Here's a few bullet points IMHO.

--Change the timing belt and all associated hardware on the 100s, as you are doing. Use OEM parts. My mechanic showed me where there was some scuffing on the hardware, maybe a sign that it would fail pretty soon.

--Back in the day, there was LOTS of talk on the internet about SP III vs MaxLife. Reportedly, there are plastic internal components in the transmission that require OEM fluid. Dealership or Eneos at NAPA are sources for that.

Finally, I used the Immortal Sustina 0W20 VI 229 in my sled. Performance improved. Successive UOA's indicated clearly that this was no problem.

Step on the gas.
Step on the brakes.
Enjoy your durable, reliable
performance go cart.
Timing belt and all hardware have been replaced due to age at the 8 or 9 year mark. Also i never heard about the plastic internal parts, and this maxlife really make it feel new again on the shifting quality... Fast engagement, responsive shifts for a Elantra. These cars were never the german firm type. I did a little more research, and found out if i drop the pan, there is a filter, and magnets i can replace / clean..... Might be doing that for peace of mind.

thanks!

your "on the ball" + i assume NOT DI, simpler is better!!! girlfriends preowned 18 2.4L Kia optima doing great + unlike her traded 13 malibu 2.5 uses NO oil!!! 10W30 quaker state fake synthetic is my choice for her car

Back