Time for a video card upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I've been itching to upgrade my video card for a few months now. Some games are a little choppy at high level of graphics. FSX still blows even with a CPU, mobo and ram upgrade a few years ago. My rig has a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU, BIOSTAR TA870U3+ mobo (hush), 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1333 RAM, and the video card is a ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770. I was lookin at this. Anyone up to date on video cards these days??? Any opinions of any card is appreciated.
smile.gif

Not too up to date on the newest cards but whatever video card you get, make sure the power supply can support the extra power needed. From your rig setup, you sound like you know what you are doing.
wink.gif

Good luck!

how much you want for the old one? i had to "borrow" the card out of my old PC when the one in my sister's computer died.
The "old" PC had fairly similar specs to yours,though i was running an absolutely ancient Diamond Radeon 2400HD, it would still be my primary PC if my brother hadn't given me this one

You might want to check out the Asus Geforce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB for that rig.

My 8800GTS 640Mb gave up the ghost at the end of the Summer after MANY years of awesome service.

I was always glad that I went for the larger RAM on the 8800GTS when I got it, everyone was proclaiming the 320MB at the time was just as good.

Well, when everyone wasn't able to play with higher texture detail in newer games on their 8800GTS 320MB I was still able to use my card for many generations of games with great detail.

Anyway, the GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB is dirt cheap, make sure it is the beefy one with 2 fans on it because Nvidia is a bit confusing right now. A lot of "value" cards based off the same chip that aren't usable for gaming, so make sure you get the right one.

Should be around 150$ right now.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Okay so I've been itching to upgrade my video card for a few months now

FSX is highly CPU-dependent, but I'll play:

What resolution are you running at?
Have you disabled the frame-rate cap? If so, utilize the "ultra high quality" pre-configured settings for now.
Do you have FRAPS installed? That'll let us know where you currently stand.

Okay so I've been itching to upgrade my video card for a few months now. Some games are a little choppy at high level of graphics. FSX still blows even with a CPU, mobo and ram upgrade a few years ago. My rig has a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU, BIOSTAR TA870U3+ mobo (hush), 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1333 RAM, and the video card is a ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770. I was lookin at this. Anyone up to date on video cards these days??? Any opinions of any card is appreciated.
smile.gif

How much room do you have in the case for the length of the video card? You should check that out first.

it would suck to buy a video card and discover it doesn't fit in the case, especially at your pricepoint for the video card.

I don't even have FSX on my computer any more. I think I got like 15-20 fps maxed out. It was useless. I'm not sure how much room I have. I'll have to check when I get home but I suspect I will be replacing the power supply with a better unit too. It's a cheapy 600 watt that probably doesn't put out that much. The 7850 and 7870 looks great. I bought a samsung 46" LED 3D tv last night. So that should make it interesting. I'd love that card Nick. But holy bleep that's pricey. As for selling my current card you can have it. Im not really worried about money.
smile.gif

On paper, there doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of difference between the 7850 and the 7870. Not sure if it's worth that $50 extra.

Would I need to upgrade the motherboard with these cards being PCI express 3.0?

PCI Express 3.0 is backwards compatible. As for a GPU recommendation, two things:

1. What are you playing?
2. How much do you want to spend?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
how much you want for the old one? i had to "borrow" the card out of my old PC when the one in my sister's computer died.
The "old" PC had fairly similar specs to yours,though i was running an absolutely ancient Diamond Radeon 2400HD, it would still be my primary PC if my brother hadn't given me this one

As for selling my current card you can have it. Im not really worried about money.
smile.gif

I'll PM my address if you're being serious. let me know if you want anything for shipping.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Would I need to upgrade the motherboard with these cards being PCI express 3.0?

PCI Express 3.0 is backwards compatible. As for a GPU recommendation, two things:

1. What are you playing?
2. How much do you want to spend?

I play Skyrim, Far Cry 3 (highest setting are sketchy), The Bureau, Metro 2033, I might install FSX again, Black Ops 1 and 2, Modern Warfare 2 and 3, CS, Day of Defeat Source.

As for selling my current card you can have it. Im not really worried about money.
smile.gif

I'll PM my address if you're being serious. let me know if you want anything for shipping.

Absolutely man. I might be a week or so.
smile.gif

Here is a hierarchy chart to see where a card you're considering might be: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back