Time for a change and am thinking about a change

I have an 08 Mercury Mariner V6 with 198k miles. For 90% of the changes I've used Motorcraft 5w-20 blend and never a problem. In fact, I've used Motorcraft over 25 years in Sables, a Cougar, a Taurus and another Mariner.
This time, I'm thinking of Castrol Edge Extended or Valvoline synthetic. Would it be worth it?

I have an 08 Mercury Mariner V6 with 198k miles. For 90% of the changes I've used Motorcraft 5w-20 blend and never a problem. In fact, I've used Motorcraft over 25 years in Sables, a Cougar, a Taurus and another Mariner.
This time, I'm thinking of Castrol Edge Extended or Valvoline synthetic. Would it be worth it?
Why you can get Quaker State for $10 less than Castrol Edge EP.

Stick with what you been running, technically switching, mixing, etc will not cause harm I see no genuine reason to switch from what got it to 198,000 miles in the first place.

While I personally use Quakerstate/Pennzoil, Motorcraft is good oil just change your oil on time and do not go for extended intervals.

I agree with the others on if it aint broke don't fix it.

If your insistent on changing, the Castrol Edge caused my Nissan VQ40 to have much more rattling solid lifters on start up. Just my experience. I haven't had that issue with any other oil, including Castrol Magnatec when they still made it. I have used almost everything else without issue - M1, PUP, running QSFS now. I have not tried the newest Valvoline.

Doesn’t seem worth it unless you’re wanting to go extended drain interval with the edge. If you just want to use a full synthetic, you could get QSFS or PFS black label for $23-24 and save a buck or two over the MC blend.

Motorcraft has always been made by ConocoPhilips. If you can find Philips Shield Choice Semi-Syn, it'll be the same thing but at less than $3/qt if you can find it locally.

Motorcraft is just your run of the mill semi-synthetic. Nearly all API SP/SN+ rated oils qualify as semi-syn in the 5w-30 and lower (like 5w-20) grades.

If I'm not looking for a full synthetic or something top tier, I'm going with the lowest priced oil that meets current API specs. Brand doesn't mean much these days for regular semi-syn / dino oil.

Back