Tiger Woods seriously hurt

Modern cars don't leave skidmarks, in fact you won't feel the abs engaging in the pedal until it gets really bad. They don't wait for a tyre to lock up solid anymore, but rather allow a slip percentage. For example 20% slip, travel 1.2 times the wheel diameter in 1 revolution of the wheel.

Modern cars don't leave skidmarks, in fact you won't feel the abs engaging in the pedal until it gets really bad. They don't wait for a tyre to lock up solid anymore, but rather allow a slip percentage. For example 20% slip, travel 1.2 times the wheel diameter in 1 revolution of the wheel.
Guess it's time to download the black box data to find out.

Do they have a black box? but does it really matter? Probably it would be better to look at phone usage.

To me it seems he wasn't paying attention, speed was high or got high and he lost control.

Accidents happen in a blink of an eye. I refuse to be on the phone while I’m driving.

Hopefully he gets out of hospital soon.

Do they have a black box? but does it really matter? Probably it would be better to look at phone usage.

To me it seems he wasn't paying attention, speed was high or got high and he lost control.

Yeah.

I'm having problems accessing the direct Genesis website. All I'm finding from there is in Korean. But I found a third party source for the 2020 GV80 owners manual.
This vehicle is equipped with an event data recorder (EDR). The main purpose of
an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as an air bag deployment or hitting a road obstacle, data that will assist in understanding how a vehicle’s systems performed. The EDR is designed to record data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less. The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as:
  • How various systems in your vehicle were operating;
  • Whether or not the driver and passenger safety belts were buckled/fastened;
  • How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or brake pedal; and,
  • How fast the vehicle was traveling.
These data can help provide a better understanding of the circumstances in which crashes and injuries occur. NOTE: EDR data are recorded by your vehicle only if a non-trivial crash situation occurs; no data are recorded by the EDR under normal driving conditions and no personal data (e.g., name, gender, age, and crash location) are recorded. However, other parties, such as law enforcement, could combine the EDR data with the type of personally identifying data routinely acquired during a crash investigation.

To read data recorded by an EDR, special equipment is required, and access to the vehicle or the EDR is needed. In addition to the vehicle manufacturer, other parties, such as law enforcement, that have the special equipment, can read the information if they have access to the vehicle or the EDR.

I'm sure they are looking at the black box ... why not? It was the only witness.

I'm sure they are looking at the black box ... why not? It was the only witness.

I'm pretty sure there was one more witness. That being said, Woods was described as being lucid and not even aware that he was injured. Apparently pretty common when someone is suffering from shock. He's certainly not going to be a reliable witness.

I'm pretty sure there was one more witness. That being said, Woods was described as being lucid and not even aware that he was injured. Apparently pretty common when someone is suffering from shock. He's certainly not going to be a reliable witness.
Don't know what news sources you're listening to or reading, but officials have reported there were no signs of drugs or alcohol involved. If they gave him a blood test or not, I haven't heard one way or the other.

And who was this other supposed witness of the crash?

Don't know what news sources you're listening to or reading, but officials have reported there were no signs of drugs or alcohol involved. If they gave him a blood test or not, I haven't heard one way or the other.

And who was this other supposed witness of the crash?

Tiger Woods was a witness. Probably not a reliable one.

I'm not saying he was impaired. However, I do remember the deputy who responded said that Woods was responsive and didn't act like he was injured, even with bone sticking out of his leg. Said it seemed like a combination of adrenaline and shock.

Gonzalez said he didn't have the tools to remove Woods from the vehicle himself, so he kept Woods company as the two waited for emergency aid. Woods "seemed calm" and didn't appear to be in distress, Gonzalez said.​
"I kept him talking," he said. "I asked him basic things to gauge his mental state, like 'Do you know where you are right now? Do you know what day it is?' You know, just to see if he was aware of what had occurred."​
Gonzalez said Woods was unable to stand on his own and appeared to be unaware of "how gravely injured he was," citing a "mixture of adrenaline and shock."​
Asked by Melvin whether a toxicology report was ordered, Gonzalez said that there was no evidence of impairment and that he was unaware of any reports.​

Tiger Woods was a witness. Probably not a reliable one.
I'm talking about any witness besides Tiger.

"Woods was described as being lucid and not even aware that he was injured" ... people act all over the spectrum when they are in a crash, especially one where they are critically injured.

84 mph in a 45 mph zone and won't face any charges from the NBC story.

Part of it would be that most law enforcement doesn't give tickets unless personally witnessed by an officer. If they got the information, it was from the data recorder. I guess it could theoretically be used if there was a civil case against him, but this was a solo crash.

There's some speculation that he might have panicked and accelerated instead of braking when he lost control. He probably lost control at a lower speed.

The black box data showed the brakes were never applied. News report didn't say about the accelerator data, but I'd think a black box would also record that parameter.

The black box data showed the brakes were never applied. News report didn't say about the accelerator data, but I'd think a black box would also record that parameter.

It's right in the Sheriff's statement.

According to the event data recorder, it is believed that Tiger Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator instead of the brakes.​

It's right in the Sheriff's statement.

According to the event data recorder, it is believed that Tiger Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator instead of the brakes.​
I heard it on the news ... and Sheriff said they "thought" that he hit the accelerator and wasn't too sure about it or not. I thought that was a bit bizarre since they said they got data from the black box, so it should be pretty clear if the gas pedal was being pushed and the vehicle was accelerating more or not right before impact.

In your link it says: "According to the event data recorder, it is believed that Tiger Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator instead of the brakes."

So still doesn't sound very definitive. Did he or didn't he? ... the black box data should show what happened. If the car was accelerating it should be in the recorder. If it did, and he didn't do it by smashing the gas pedal, then it would have to be a self "run-away" vehicle event which I highly doubt.

Last edited:
I heard it on the news ... and Sheriff said they "thought" that he hit the accelerator and wasn't too sure about it or not. I thought that was a bit bizarre since they said they got data from the black box, so it should be pretty clear if the gas pedal was being pushed and the vehicle was accelerating more or not right before impact.

In your link it says: "According to the event data recorder, it is believed that Tiger Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator instead of the brakes."

So still doesn't sound very definitive. Did he or didn't he? ... the black box data should show what happened. If the car was accelerating it should be in the recorder. If it did, and he didn't do it by smashing the gas pedal, then it would have to be a self "run-away" vehicle event which I highly doubt.

Here's a typical report. I heard the requirement is 5 seconds before an impact is sensed and it's locked in. So it might not record anything after the impact.

Vehicle-Black-Box-Expert-2.JPG

Not quite sure what that means. Perhaps someone can file a public records request for the raw data. It's only going to record if the brake is on or not, regardless of how hard. So I guess someone just tapping the brake pedal will trigger it even if nothing happens.

Have no idea what "it is believed" means other than the EDR says he accelerated but maybe they slowed down because of a spin-out?

Not sure how many seconds a black box stores data before an impact triggers a data capture, or what the data sample rate is. Wonder if there is some federal regulations of how the black box is suppose to capture data. If it's only 5 seconds of data previous to the impact, then that would have been around 620 ft of vehicle travel if it was going ~85 MPH in this case. The data table above actually has some pretty decent throttle position and speed data, so with data like that it should be pretty easy to see if the vehicle was accelerating or not before impact.

Back