Tiger Woods seriously hurt

My wife got a ticket when she rolled over her car (snow & black ice) LONG time ago before I knew her. No witnesses and much lower speeds. Also no police till much later after the rollover ... We were watching the news and she is still upset over that ticket and said why did I get a ticket? I said because you had less power & money! :ROFLMAO:

The black box data showed the brakes were never applied. News report didn't say about the accelerator data, but I'd think a black box would also record that parameter.

It does. It logs MPH and the throttle position sensor, among many other parameters.

I don't think there is a vehicle sold in the U.S. that does not have an EDR. There has been several evolutions of the data recorded as safety systems have evolved like front air bags which is when the EDR's first started and was integrated into the vehicles SRS/ABS systems. Then as side SRS, and Curtain SRS, Leg SRS, Hemorrhoid SRS, ect. and other safety measures have evolved so did the EDR. The EDR since probably the late 90's has actually been its own stand alone unit, but as I think I explained it did not originally start out as a stand alone EDR and did not log near as many events as they do now days.

Here's a typical report. I heard the requirement is 5 seconds before an impact is sensed and it's locked in. So it might not record anything after the impact.

Vehicle-Black-Box-Expert-2.JPG

Not quite sure what that means. Perhaps someone can file a public records request for the raw data. It's only going to record if the brake is on or not, regardless of how hard. So I guess someone just tapping the brake pedal will trigger it even if nothing happens.

Have no idea what "it is believed" means other than the EDR says he accelerated but maybe they slowed down because of a spin-out?

The EDR can only write for 5 seconds, that's the amount of memory space it has. It continually re writes over and over every 5 seconds until it is tripped or triggered by inertia or G Force in a few nano seconds which is the same way the SRS system is triggered. The EDR is triggered, the seat belts ratchet down 4/5 clicks within a couple nano seconds and BOOM go the air bags. The SRS sensors will determine which air bags the SRS module decides to deploy.

They did most of this safety equipment for you, but unfortunately due to cost it can easily total a vehicle only a couple years old.

The news reported that his blood was not tested for drugs/alcohol, claiming there was no evidence to suggest it was needed.

Back