tick tick tick!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has an 89 BroncoII with the 2.9L V6 engine in it and it has only 88K miles on it. Ticks real bad and it leaks oil from the rear main seal. Proceeds to tick until it gets warmed up then it goes away and runs like a new watch. There is oil pressure, maybe not much but we know there is some there because obviously it continues to run at operating temp. Were not concerned about the leak at this point. I want to help him get rid of the tick and make him happy
grin.gif
Here's my plan of attack on how to get rid of the tick for good!!!.

1.) Amsoil's Engine Flush

2.) Drop the oil pan and clean it throughly

3.) Clean oil pump screen

4.) New filter(STP?) and dino oil(Valvoline?)

Were on a budget here and we don't want to nor need to use the expensive stuff such as schaeffer's or something since it leaks. Any suggestions are more than welcome here. Tks guys
burnout.gif

itschy.gif
AR

[ December 03, 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Airborne Ranger ]

Ranger, before you do anything to the engine lube system make sure it does not have an exhaust leak at the manifolds,around head or joints where pipes join manifolds. Once hot the leak seals enough not to hear.

hmmmmmm, I'll have to check that out with him. Won't be able to talk to him until this weekend. Until then I'm open to all suggestions how to get rid of the tick, tks guys
burnout.gif

itschy.gif
AR

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Ranger, before you do anything to the engine lube system make sure it does not have an exhaust leak at the manifolds,around head or joints where pipes join manifolds. Once hot the leak seals enough not to hear.

Yep, I had a ticking Ford several years ago. Couldn't figure it out until the manifold crack expanded to something that was obvious. Warming up didn't get rid of it then.

Not too familiar with the engine cleaner, but aren't you concerned it may make the leak problem worse? If you are dropping the pan anyway, why not drop the rear main and replace the seal? Is it a one piece seal?

Yes, good call. I've had blown out gaskets and cracked manifolds (usually in the welds). They can be a turkey to find when small.

David

On the cars that have ticked from manifold leaks that I've seen, at idle they didn't tick very bad. Once you put a load on the motor is when it got louder. A lifter tick ticks no matter what the load or vacuum pressure or rpm is. My friends 79 Camaro had a tick. We thought it was a lifter at first but then realized those crappy paper header gaskets were shot. At idle it wouldn't make any noise but once you accelerated it would start and get pretty loud if you floored. it.

If its your lifters then yes flush out the motor (auto-rx would be better) and clean the pickup screen if you have the time. Then use a heavier oil 10w40 or heavier. Lucas oil stabilizer also has worked well in stopping lifter ticks for alot of people.

Jason

mebandit, on those manifold/header leaks I've worked on, idle was when the ticking was most audible. Engine noises mostly masked them above idle. Depends on the size of the leak. My 82 Z28 transplant SB lost a few gaskets. Now that one did get louder with rpm. If this ticking goes away when warm then it's something like lifters or a very small leak.

AR, look for whitish areas at exhaust junctions. Or, just use a stethoscope (or screwdriver to the ear) and isolate it to the valves so we can stop speculating.
smile.gif

You learn something everyday
grin.gif
I didn't know leaky head or intake gaskets could cause ticks. Maybe it is head or intake gaskets??? I know it's hard to tell without actually hearing it and judging whether ot not it is lifters or something else. As far as the rear main seal, I'm not sure if it is a one piece seal, wouldn't Auto-rx stop that??? They do claim it stops leaks and never them to return?? If his bronco does have leaky gaskets then it's not worth trying to resolve the ticking because it might make it worse?
dunno.gif
I would be scared to pull the oil pan and see the sludge that has built up in it
shocked.gif
Like I said, I'll get a hold of him this weekend and we can go from there, meantime I"m still open to all suggestions, tks guys
smile.gif

itschy.gif
AR

Ok I was able to get a hold of him tonight, went over to his house and started on the bronco. We didn;t to anything to fix it cuz I'm still stuck on whether or not to fix the ticking. We degreased the engine then steamed it off with his dad's steamer. Engine was nice and clean to ensure that we could clearly spot any other leaks the engine may have. Even the engine fully warmed up and running, sure enough there was not any leaks after a thorough inspection, no leaks after it was shut off either. The only thing that is leaking for sure is the rear main. So that narrows it down back to my orginal observation about the lifters ticking. What do you guys think, fix the tick or forget it??? I"m still sticking with my original plan of attack.

Ok worked on the bronco today. Here's what we did:

1.) Warm up the oil to temp, drained it out

2.) Replaced filter with Mobil1 filter

3.) Installed Valvoline 10w30 dino oil, let it run for 20 mins at 2000rpm (Amsoil's Engine flush instructions)

4.) Drained out oil and cleaned out filter

5.) Pulled oil pan, rinsed with garden hose and Hot water with Dawn dish soap.(not as much sludge as I expected, just a thin layer of sludge lined the bottom of the oil pan)

6.) cleaned pump screen with compressed air

7.) New oil pan gasket, and installed oil pump.

8.) Re-installed Mobil1 filter(cleaned out) and Valvoline 5w30 oil for the winter.

Bronco does not tick anymore, however we will be paying close attention to the motor and full oil pressure was restored to normal. The pan does not leak to my suprise, those things are a ***** to get sealed up
mad.gif
lol!

"(Amsoil's Engine flush instructions) " "Were on a budget here and we don't want to nor need to use the expensive stuff such as Schaeffer's or something since it leaks. "

Amsoil Engine flush is more expensive than Neutra on a volume basis.

Anyway, if this is not an exhaust leak, you might want to use a preventative dose of Neutra, LC, or Auto-RX to keep the lifters from carboning up, assuming this was the problem.

[ December 06, 2002, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
Ok worked on the bronco today. Here's what we did:

snip

4.) Drained out oil and cleaned out filter

snip

8.) Re-installed Mobil1 filter(cleaned out) and Valvoline 5w30 oil for the winter.

snip

How do you clean out an oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back