Tiburon @ 200,000mi oil consumption

Maxlife red bottle synblend will slow it down-don't be afraid to go up oil grade/weights until you get it to slow down to an acceptable level. I've gone as far as 20W50 in the past, as long as it starts cold! It'll drop the burning by a third, but try a PCV & fix as many leaks as possible first.

PCV has been replaced with OEM, yes.
Doing an oil change now @ 201,000 with the previously recommended Valvoline Enhanced MaxLife 5w30.

As posted, the cost between full synthetic and not is $2-3 per 5qt (where I'm at)

Update. Used the "Valvoline Enhanced MaxLife 5w30" and it didn't seem to help the oil consumption at all as suggested as the oil is just a couple hairs above the Low dot.

Current Mileage: 202,458

So the consumption remains at ~1qt per 1500mi.

I saw reduced oil consumption once in a 4 cylinder gm ecotec engine by using conventional Formula Shell 5W30. I only used that oil once before the car died. Could have been a fluke but that oil is cheap.

Update. Used the "Valvoline Enhanced MaxLife 5w30" and it didn't seem to help the oil consumption at all as suggested as the oil is just a couple hairs above the Low dot.

Time for 15w-50 then. At 200k the clearances have definitely loosened up. If my high mileage Hyundai starts drinking oil I won't hesitate to go as thick as a 60 (or 70 if they even offer it here in thin oil CAFE land).

Give it a chance. I have noticed oil consumption increase after changing brands. Don't know why, just an observation... Called Mobil about it and they told me it happens.

If I were in your shoes, I think I’d try HPL’s engine cleaner and see if you can’t get a bit of cleaning done at the rings, which is a fairly probable cause of your issue.

At that age/mileage the piston rings may be worn out. You could try DMSO, or dimethyl sulfoxide in the oil. There's a thread on this chemical and others in the forum. DMSO becomes a very active detergent when it gets hot.

If I were in your shoes, I think I’d try HPL’s engine cleaner and see if you can’t get a bit of cleaning done at the rings, which is a fairly probable cause of your issue.

If your Tiburon is in good shape other than the oil consumption I would ditto this suggestion. There is a thread here on this very product and HPL has a member here you can communicate with.

I would try the piston soak, worst case it does nothing and out a few bucks but worth a shot. If it's real bad it could take 2-3 soaks to do it. In the Honda/Toyota crowd they mostly use MMO with varying results.

You basically just remove the spark plugs, fill the cylinders and let it sit overnight, next morning remove the fuel pump fuse and crank it over a few times to clear out the cylinders, you might want to use a few rags to catch the oil so it doesn't go everywhere, reinstall the plugs & fuse then enjoy the smoke show.

Back