Tiburon @ 200,000mi oil consumption

Car: '03 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0L 4-cylinder
Current Oil: 5w-30 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic (High Mileage)

The car consumes oil, likely from the neglectful owner previously, as I am the second. I've tried using 10w40 weight to reduce the consumption, but the higher viscosity makes no difference. I was interested in looking at oil stabilizers such as Lucas, but before I tried I figured I'd post here.

All that "stabilizer" crap does is make oil thicker and dillutes the additive package and negates the anti-foaming properties of the lubricant, oil consumption can be caused by a bad PCV valve, rotted valve stem seals, and/or worn or stuck rings, if the car has a servicable PCV valve try replacing it, if the valve stem seals are leaking that's usually a relatively involved process to replace that usually involves removing or at least dismantling the head, if rings are stuck then a piston soak may help, if the rings or the honing pattern have worn there's not much you can do, valve stem seal leaks may be somewhat mitigated using high mileage oil or stop leak additives but YMMV.

Oil will not fix the problem and the Lucas stuff will only drain your wallet. How much is the engine consuming?
The reason I have bought very few used cars. unless you know the real history I stay clear along with the price of used cars these days for the most part being crazy. looked at some 2017 low mileage Mazda CX5's with some 20 thousand plus miles. $3000 cheaper than my new 2022 CX5.

1qt/1500mi

I've done 3000mi oil changes for the past 20k or so. 🤯 also have been using Seafoam in crankcase during this time too

It's not a huge concern honestly because I have had the car for so long and I'm not too lazy to top it off regularly.

Also, all gaskets including the oil cap and PCV have been replaced with OEM parts.

These 2.0s burn oil when they get old. Just keep it topped off and make sure your timing belt is good.
Never really thought it was a notorious problem. Although yes, timing belt failure is a very common but that's due to maintenance neglect more than anything. My timing Belt/Water Pump was replaced with a Gates kit at 173k within the last 2 years. I've considered rebuilding the engine (over replacement) simply because the 2.0L is a Beta II, but since it was assembled in the early parts of 2003 it shares many components with the Beta I (valve cover & MAP sensor to name a few) so I'm order to keep it consistent and simple that would be my game plan. One day.

My 2.7 also burns similar amounts of oil, but that one has reportedly been ran low on oil multiple times so it gets a pass.

Never really thought it was a notorious problem. Although yes, timing belt failure is a very common but that's due to maintenance neglect more than anything. My timing Belt/Water Pump was replaced with a Gates kit at 173k within the last 2 years. I've considered rebuilding the engine (over replacement) simply because the 2.0L is a Beta II, but since it was assembled in the early parts of 2003 it shares many components with the Beta I (valve cover & MAP sensor to name a few) so I'm order to keep it consistent and simple that would be my game plan. One day.

My 2.7 also burns similar amounts of oil, but that one has reportedly been ran low on oil multiple times so it gets a pass.
They are pretty simple engines overall but every high mileage one I have experience with (sample of 5) burns out to your level or worse. If you really like the car a rebuild isn't a bad idea and shouldn't be too hard

They are pretty simple engines overall but every high mileage one I have experience with (sample of 5) burns out to your level or worse. If you really like the car a rebuild isn't a bad idea and shouldn't be too hard
I've seen about 4 with 200+ miles (couple being 225k) and they all seemed fine with oil.
The only concern with this car is that it's automatic, which I'd rather it be manual like my 2.7 otherwise I probably would do the work.

Ironically there was another one, same year/color/engine but with a 5spd that popped up for sell with a killer deal...but I don't need another Tib.

I've seen about 4 with 200+ miles (couple being 225k) and they all seemed fine with oil.
The only concern with this car is that it's automatic, which I'd rather it be manual like my 2.7 otherwise I probably would do the work.

Ironically there was another one, same year/color/engine but with a 5spd that popped up for sell with a killer deal...but I don't need another Tib.
i really like how the tiburon manuals shift. It may be because i daily drove it for 2 years and have muscle memory to a t but i found them to be pretty forgiving and easy to control.

“……. car consumes oil, likely from the neglectful owner previously, as I am the second. I've tried using 10w40 weight to reduce the consumption, but the higher viscosity makes no difference. I was interested in looking at oil stabilizers such as Lucas, but before I tried I figured I'd post here.

Save your money & don’t purchase additives or expensive oils.

Your money would be best utilized by either

a) rebuilding the engine

or

b) bailing out and getting a different car. There may be well made cheap cars, but your car only fits the latter category. An oil additive is not going to change that reality.

Z

Part of the problem is using Synthetic Oil. Try using a conventional like Pennzoil or Castrol.
Interested in this reply. I've heard this before, but don't know the reasoning for conventional > synthetic other than it's cheaper.

Back