three most neglected areas of car care

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by CoosBayDave:
The things mentioned above are all good, to this I would add cleaning the battery connections. When I lifted the plastic cover on mine I found a ball of corrosion.

That's funny, because I just cleaned and greased mine plus I checked the electrolyte level. And I'm ashamed to say the level was neglected, as it was just barely 1/4 inch above the plates. Good one!

quote:

Originally posted by alreadygone:
As a Automotive Service Professional, I'd like to see more customers do Brake fluid drain/refills, but it's still so rare that many of my customers would want to "whup ma arse" for pushing a ripoff service that their pa never done!

Am going to list a few pertinent points;

Some of the major auto manufacturers still don't recommend fluid changes.

IMO brake fluid should be changed occasionally just because it's hygroscopic (attracts moisture).

Anyone who's ever rebuild a master cylinder or wheel cylinder has seen the NASTY black gunk that accumulates in the low spots of a car's brake system.

In ABS brake systems, fluid should only be flushed in direction of wheels to keep from causing abovementioned gunk from plugging valves in ABS mechanism.

Use only approved (usually dot 3) fluid in system or you will cause more problems than you fix!

Bob

So only DOT 3 Fluid should be used in ABS brakes? what about that Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3-4 Compatible fluid? I use it in my motorcycle and it has very High wet and dry boiling points but if you are saying you see a problem in using it with ABS, let me know why??? becuase I was going to flush my OEM fluid with this stuff when it warms up outside.

I'd have to say for sure that I've seen/heard of MANY MANY owners neglecting cooling system for sure. Here in Colorado, with our mountains along I-70 use see LOTS of vehicles off the highway having overheated.

I always say if you truly want to see how badly you've neglected your cooling system, just travel up the Eisenhower corridor, or better yet, over Vail Pass - gives your vehicle a GREAT workout, and a neglected cooling system a horrible shock.

It's amazing how FEW of us, really, in this world, take care to even think of changing transmission fluid, PS fluid, and so forth. And you do hear of people who will go to the level of changing their antifreeze, but they never give a 2nd thought to their hoses.

I personally believe, as another has posted, that so many just decide that once they get close to 100k they just choose to trade it, rather then shelling the $$$ on maintenance. Because honestly, not every car owner has time to do their own servicing anymore, and many places have gotten so pricey that they just choose to spend that money on a down-payment.

Case in point, my sister and B-I-L recently bought a used 2002 Trailblazer with exactly 105k, at the dealership the fluids looked fairly decent. Course the sun was setting; drove very nicely and had been meticulously maintained "physically" but as time has gone on, the transmission fluid was discovered to be utterly black and burnt with metal particles; PS fluid was cloudy, Clutch fan was fried (common on the 02's), and their is an exhaust leak.

I really believe the 1st owner, who put a lot of miles on quickly, just decided to dump it rather then fix his neglecting mistakes - i.e. the transmission fluid, which we are now hoping doesn't start slipping since new fluid is slowly being replaced.

Although I've meticulously maintained my current vehicles, when it comes time for a new one, I'm seriously considering just doing basic maintenance - fluid/filter change outs when needed, and so forth, then at close to 90-100k when BIG maintenance comes into play, trading it in.

Not to say it will be neglected, cause it won't, but realistically speaking unless you can do all major maintenance yourself, cost of labor adds up real quick.

Alot of these things that most of you quote as "must do"'s are because of evolutions in the automotive industry, imho. I never changed coolant on my Caravan for over 10 years. Other then to top off for a leaking hose ..or replacing the rad ..that's it. The same OEM lower rad hose is on the van ..with the OEM lame clamp. I did replace the rad due to a seam leak on the plastic tank ..but the core was intact and it worked fine. OTOH, my 02 Jeep showed corrosion within less then 2 years with the lame construction of the rad.

I would say it's the same with brake fluid. Never have I changed brake fluid ..and just had leaking rear wheel cylinders after 12 years of just replacing pads and not bleeding the system.

ABS would surely have made this a more important service item.

PS - still haven't touched it in 175k plus. No noise ..no whining ..zip. Have never heard of it being done routinely before BITOG. I DID have my mother's Corsica drained and refilled with M1 ATF when I had her transmission done ..since both the trans and the PS exhibitted issues with subfreezing weather (delayed engagement and "relief whine" when the wheel was turned).

Before this Caravan decided to eject its converter into the trans fluid ..requiring a rebuild ..it would have been the first autotrans that had ever required any service in my ownership. It just never needed to be done on an older, more reliable, transmission.

Again, evolutions in the industry made this a "must do".
dunno.gif

Gary I think you are right, the simple transmissions of the 60's were darn near indestructable, never had one go bad before the rest of the car fell apart around it. And never even thought about the transmission fluid. Since the 80's when they started putting in electronic controls have ever had problems with transmissions, and since then seems like have bought 2 or 3 that did not make it to 100K.

Did the cars of the 1960s typically make it to 100K?

I wonder if maybe it's not so much that transmissions don't last as long as they used to but that the rest of the car lasts a lot longer than it used to, making the transmission the weak link?

All the cars in our family from the 50s, 60s, and 70s made it to roughly 130K. Usually it was corrosion that got to them.

We never serviced any of the automatic transmissions and never had any problems with them.

I know someone who has a 97 or 98 Chevrolet Malibu with 120K on it and he never got the transmission serviced, nor has he had a problem with it.

...course GM is considered to have some of the better automatics out there..

You're right to a certain extent, brian. These post WWII cars ..up until the cleaner engines in the latter end of the 70's did typically make it to 100k ..but not for the original owner. They probably lasted as many years before hitting the junkyard ..but then again, annual mileage was not what it is today. Sure they showed more wear due to fuel dilution and contamination ..but OTOH, were, for the most part, much more powerful. My 65 Olds 425 2bbl had more power with 3 "dipping their paddle" cylinders ..then my V6 did at 100%

Detroit cranked out very powerful (mostly crude but powerful) cars for less then a dollar a pound. Most new buyers didn't keep them beyond 60k where they started having other issues. Automatics did, obviously, fail during this period ..but could usually be traced to abuse/neglect ..not design.

Aside from the TH350, TH400, and the Powerglide (only due to its popularity with the racers) ..I never got the impression of GM autos being "better" ..but more along the lines of "not as failure prone" to the extent that the other manufacturers have suffered in terms of lingering reputation. It's a minor distinction. They've made up for it with the multitude of "let's try this -oops" engines that GM cranked out in the 80's
dunno.gif

If you have a hydraulic clutch slave, then you really want to change the brake fluid regularly. Ask me how I know?

Bought a Saab with 128k miles, apparently the fluid was never changed. This led to the accumulation of abrasive black gunk (that Alreadygone posted about) collecting in the slave, wearing out a $.79 O-ring that sealed the slave piston. The slave is inside the transmission so I had to take it out to repair.

Ended up replacing the slave, clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing, cutting the flywheel because once it was out I was not going to take a chance with something else wearing out and having to go through that job again.

It cost me about $600 in parts and eternal ****ation for all the swearing involving the father, son, holy ghost, virgin mary and a host of saints.

Great stuff !!

The next level would be:

Silicone spray to the door locks, hinges, hood & trunk latches, etc...

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back